6.8 spc

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by sigman84, Mar 19, 2014.

1. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

I have never used the 6.8 spc but I know several of you have them for pistols and sbr's. My question is what do you think of it for out to 500 yards? I believe its still supersonic out to that range. Just curious on this one really.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Firearms Talk mobile app

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

sigman,

Lets put it this way! The 6.8 is no 500 yard round for sure. Drops like a rock after 200 yards. With max loads it drops around 90 inches at 500 when zeroed at 100 and around 80 inches zeroed at 200 yards. As far as is it an effective round for deer at 100-150 yes indeed it is. We have shot deer and pigs with it up to 150 yards and had a lot of one shot kills. But long range it is not. But it was not designed for that! But it is a good round and superior to the 5.56 as far as effect.
    Hope this helps!

3. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

Ok ya that helps. Like I said never shot one or anything so ya thanks bud.

4. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

True^^^^^, superior to 556 in energy in m4 ranges. That's what the design called for. Much better round in terminal ballistics out to 200-300 quite good on hogs/deer.

That said, I've varmited with it a couple times. Accurate enough at 500 but the holdover makes hitting pretty iffy at this range. Tried handloads with 70 grain varmit grenades, mixed results. Hope this helps. :D

5. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i havent used it on a deer yet. i tried but was not meant to be yet. but i have done plenty of shooting with it. but only out to 100yrds. i like it alot so far but shooting out to 500 would be iffy i think. stay inside of 250yds and your probly good. as far as compared to shooting the 5.56 its barely a difference. but so far its a nice round.

6. K305

K305 New Member

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1395512992.229576.jpg
    LWRC in new issue of Recoil. Only set you back 2300 plus NFA tax. Redesigned around 6.8 pmags, they compare it to an imperial blaster after the white and black two tone finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

7. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

Ya I was just curious about the round for a possible dmr upper with like a 4x scope or something.

8. dwmiller

Works great for that role. The round is basicly the 556 upgraded for more terminal energy. Pretty much the same ballistic envelope, and a tiny bit more recoil.

I chose it for a dedicated hog hunting rifle, pretty much for the greater takedown power. Appx 15-20% more depending on the bullet used. The round is dead accurate within its range, so should be a good choice as a DMR cartridge. 4x or 6x should be plenty of glass since you don't plan to varmit with it. Works well with shorter barrels, 18 would be about the Max length for top velocity. 20+ really doesn't gain you anything but a heavier gun..:D

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  9. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

OK. The other round that I started looking at in the last couple days is the 6.5 grendel. What would you say is the max range for a 6.8 spc in a dmr build?

10. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

6.5 Grendel has way more legs than 6.8 spc is a great round but I would prefer Grendel for more intermediate distances like out to 800 meters

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

11. dwmiller

5-600 combat effective range. Maybe a little more if you practice your holdovers, and put a 20 moa mount under your optic. Really depends more on your abilities at longer ranges. And practice, practice, practice . Mine with a 16" barrel will ring the 24" gong at 500 all day long, with 90% inside the 12" center from the bench. This is with a 6x hunting tube, not one of my varmit scopes....:D

The 6.5 grendle is a great long range rd but it really needs a 24" barrel to reach its potential. Really looses a lot of vel with shorter barrels, and velocity is what this rounds all about. It does shoot pretty flat 0-200 yds. Basicly no drop if zeroed at 100, so dead on the crosshairs.

I do have a 6.5 that I varmit with. Just its a MUCH heavier gun than a dmr rifle. App 14 lbs with the glass mounted and a 10 rd mag. Not a fair comparison. If you do decide to go 6.5, take a look at black hole weapondry. They make the best barrel for precision shooting that I have found. They offer a lot of dmr type options....
    http://www.blackholeweaponry.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23&osCsid=745133b6ae52b91dbbf7d910084ae766

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  12. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

Ya I mean even 300-400 tops would be fine on it. I have my 30-06 for everything else past that.

13. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Well I guess that is that. I too was considering a 6.8 SPC for my next AR, but not anymore. I was trying to stay away from the AR-10 frame and stick with a AR-15 compatible gun. I guess it will be a 243 AR for my next tax refund. I love that round and reload for it, so no new dies and cases. It will be a good complement to my bolt action 243, now the question is what barrel length?

Jim

14. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

Ya whenever I get some money put away I'm just going to be doing an upper.