6.5x55 Bolt Rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by The45kid, Nov 18, 2013.

1. The45kid

The45kid New Member

Hey guys,
    I've been a long time reader on the forum and recently made an account. I want to buy/build a 6.5x55 Swede rifle for long range shooting. Now, I want a heavy barrel, but the only 6.5 heavy barrel I can find is a Tikka that isn't sold in the US for some reason...now I read somewhere that I can buy a Savage long action and buy a 6.5 Savage barrel and put them together. My question is, is it possible to buy a Savage long action w/ the accutrigger and all installed, buy a Savage 6.5x55 heavy barrel and put those together? Would all I need after that is a stock,rings,mount, scope and mag? Thanks and sorry for the long read!!

2. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Savages are very accurate rifles but they are built for hunting and plinking. You seldom see a savage on a benchrest.

JonM can tell you all the reasons why. I don't know because I don't really care to know.

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

You would be better served w/ an M41b sniper. They can be found for $1200.00 to 1700.00. That includes the scope. They are at least 800 yard precision rifles.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i think you might be incorrect on that. Savage offers a few benchrest type rifles as factory offerings in several calibers. there is also a group of factory sponsered Savage rifle target shooters in F-Class that use a pretty stock F-Class Savage in 6.5-284 and they score quite well with those rifles.

i think a Savage actioned rifle with a heavy 6.5x55 barrel would be an interesting project. there are several custom barrel makers that offer Savage barrels in various calibers. that and the proper sized action for the cartridge. this could be done several ways. finding a suitable action used and then rebarreling it. or just buying new action that will fit the cartridge, or even a new rifle with the proper action and rebarreling it.

that's the beauty of the Savage rifles. with a few tools and some basic skills, a person can put together a really nice rifle without having to resort to a gunsmith. even the bolts are pretty easy to configure for different cartridges.

hopefully TXhillbilly will make a showing here. he is pretty knowledgeable on Savage rifles and has put together a few. i have seen a couple of his in person an they are very well put together and really nice rifles.

i think you have made a good choice of caliber too. the 6.5x55 is an awesome cartridge an has some excellent ballistics.

5. The45kid

The45kid New Member

Thanks guys I appreciate the responses so quickly. If you don't mind me picking your brains at all, how do you feel about the 260 Remington compared to the 6.5 Swede?

6. Axxe55

i have shot the 6.5x55 and really like it. excellent ballistics on medium sized game, flat shooting and gentle recoil. i have never shot the 260 Rem. but have looked at it's ballistics in the past and IMO, in some ways is under-appreciated. it's not a common caliber in my area.

hopefully TXhillbilly will make his presence known here! he has a Savage chambered in 260 Rem. IIRC. the man is pretty smart on the Savages.

7. The45kid

The45kid New Member

Alright, thanks again for your help!

8. Salvo

Salvo New Member

I wanted a Savage model 16 ( stainless short action ) with a "magnum weight " 24 inch barrel in .243 Winchester in a laminated thumbhole stock - and the Savage custom shop was happy to accommodate me.

Maybe the OP should give Effie Sullivan at Savage a call.

Worked for me.

[​IMG]

9. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

That's true! You won't find hardly any factory actions setting on a Benchrest line,almost all of them are custom single shot action's.
    Go take a look on a F Class match,and you'll see plenty of Savage's!

The 6.5 Swede is a great caliber,and is a little faster than the 260 Rem. or the 6.5 Creedmoor,but you will have a harder time finding Match Grade ammo for the Swede if you don't handload.
    I like the 260 Rem,and love the 6.5 Creedmoor. Ballistic's are very close with them,but the Creedmoor allows you to shoot the long 140 gr Match bullets like the Hornady A-Max or Berger VLD's and still be under maximum magazine length.
    I shoot the 260 with an AR-10 type rifle,and I built my Creedmoor off a trued Savage Varmint action.

Savage also offers the 260 Rem,and the 6.5 Creedmoor in two factory long range set-ups - The Model 11 Long Range Hunter,and the Model 12 Long Range Precision. Both are great starter rifles for long range work.

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

If you want one of the rounds from the last century I would look at the Swiss. The 7.5 X 55 Swiss would allow the use of .308 match bullets.;)

11. jpattersonnh

It is a very easy caliber to reload for. The downside is there are no new rifles chambered for it. I bet w/ a modern Bolt action it could stay in step with .30-06 up to 180gr.

If I was building a rifle, 6.5, 6.5x55 is hard to beat. 7MM STW would be my new ticket. A 160gr at 3000fps mv makes it pretty deadly/ accurate at any range out to 1200 yards. At 1000 yards it is still at 1.47 Mach and has 969fpe. It is a 650yard elk killer in theory w/ over 1500fpe at 650 yards. 9.3x62 1st, 7mm STW 2nd.

12. Axxe55

the 7mm STW is another one i want to add to my line-up of 7mm calibered rifles. a man i worked for in the past was a huge gun nut and hunter. he had a 7mm STW and let me shoot a few rounds through it one evening after work behind the shop. awesome round! loved it.

after shooting a Winchester M70 in 6.5x55 a few years ago, that one is another one that i fell in love with too.

13. The45kid

The45kid New Member

So many choices :) I don't know which one to pick! And yes I will be reloading so that's not a factor. Thanks guys I really appreciate all the responses!

14. Axxe55

browse the custom barrel makers websites. many of them offer ready to fit Savage barrels.

Hart, McGowan, Shillen, Lilja, Krieger, Bartlein, Pac-Nor, are just a few i can think of offhand.

might also check out the Savage Shooters website. lots of information on Savages and lots of vendors that deal specifically with Savage parts and accessories.

15. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

This ^^^

Of course, if your wanting to get into long range precision shooting, hand loading is a good idea. You can tailor the round specifically for your particular rifle in ways that would be impossible with factory loadings.

I'm thinking of doing a 6.5mm precision build in the future. I'm thinking of either using 6.5x55mm or 6.5-06. Good luck on yours.

16. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Only partially true, as far as I know no American manufacturers make rifles chambered for it but European companies do.

17. Axxe55

i have to agree. reloading goes hand in hand with precision target shooting. allows you to make adjustments to your ammo that isn't possible with factory ammo. allows you to find the sweet spot the rifle really likes and shoots accurately.

also allows you to shoot premium ammo at less cost than the cheaper factory ammo and to shoot more at a more economical price. and more trigger time will make a person a better shooter as a general rule.

Example: i reload from Ruger M77V in 280 Rem. and premium factory ammo for this rifle costs me about $40-45 per box of 20 rounds. i can reload thsoe 20 for about $11-13 using premium components. so i can shoot about 80 rounds of my ammo for the cost of one box of factory premium ammo.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  18. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

I am getting more recoil sensative in my old age. The 6.5 family is known to be "Shoulder Friendly" so I looked into them. From what I learned, the 6.5 X .784 will yield the best long range results but you will need to handload.

Shaw is getting some good reviews. Mixture of custom rifle meets semi-mass production and prices are very reasonable. Savage also makes a long range hunter in that caliber but the barrel is not very heavy. Custom shop can build you actual F class rifle. Single shots tend to be more accurate.

I went w 7 mm Mag. when I was younger. She kicks like an X-Wife w late alimony - even w heavy rifle. I made several mistakes w my first build like I also decided on 24" - thought it would be stiffer. Think I would go longer next time around.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  19. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Your best bet is to buy a used savage M12 with a 308 boltface and just pick up a barrel from anywhere in 6.5x55mm. Savage barrels are cheap for what you get. Every barrel manufacture I know of I believe makes a savage barrel. Only other thing you would need is the barrel wrench and a set of go no-go gauges to set proper headspace.

20. jpattersonnh

The problem is, x55 is different then an -06 bolt face. American brass for the 6.5x55 uses resized -06 brass, no other country does. The x55 has a larger case head and a 6.5x55 chamber does not completely support the -06 case head. Also if you pick up a short .308 action, 6.5x55 will not fit. You need a long action.