Firearms Talk banner
21 - 40 of 110 Posts

Registered
I appreciate your input.. I believe I'm set on the 6.5cm. Im thinking the Christensen Arms. Why, I like the look, good reviews. I've never shot this kinda range, but I want to try.. Call it a bucket list item if you wish..
1000-yard stuff is Zen like shooting.

Premium Member
I like guns....
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
I'm learning. Glass is most vital. Then the cartridge.. But I want to know of a cartridge capable achieving my goal, and a firearm to achieving it, then optic to make it happen.... I like to be difficult...

Supporting Member
9mil,
Sorry I had not responded to your Thread here before now! And thanks for jogging my attention on PM.

Here is my take! One of the finest rifles I have ever shot was at our LE Sniper School. It was a Ruger Precision Rifle. Infact the Targets were so good the Ruger Representative ask if he could have a couple of them for possible future advertising. As far as the round between the two you mentioned it would choose the 6.5 Creedmoor over the 300PRC. The main reason the 300 PRC has slightly more recoil than a 300 Winchester Magnum Round .and more expensive to shoot!. IMO higher recoil is not a good thing even for Long Range if there is an alternative. And to me the 6.5 Creedmoor is it..
The 6.5 Round has great ballistics itself! Infact the guys that were at Sabre Defence several year ago before Manroy a government weapons company bought the plant competed in Matches up to 1000 yards with the little 6.5 Grendel Round. So once again the 6.5 Creedmoor is my vote hands down and a whole lot less recoil also making it as good choice!

Registered
I'm learning. Glass is most vital. Then the cartridge.. But I want to know of a cartridge capable achieving my goal, and a firearm to achieving it, then optic to make it happen.... I like to be difficult...
You have to have good optics that track and will repeat every time you turn the knobs. The 6.5 CM is more than capable of doing the job you're wanting it to do. I've shot both of mine using my hand loads out to a mile accurately on many occasions before my local 2k yard range closed. Now, I'm limited to 1200 yards being the farthest I have close access to shoot.

Supporting Member
And as Tx has advised the Scope is as important as the Rifle. In fact at the schools we tell the student to buy the best scope they can afford and then buy a rifle to go with it!
As TX referred to the ability for the scope to return to the initial Zero after adjustments. And since you are going to be using it for Long Range it must be a First Focal Plane Scope for ranging.
My Remington 40X has a Leupold M-1 Long Range is a First Focal Plane with Mil Dots. And it is different than most scopes on the Adjustments. Elevation = 1 MOA per Click and 1/2 MOA Windage adjustment per Click.

Instead of the 1/4 Click adjustment like most scopes.

Reactions: 9mil and Oldoutlaw

Registered
If I go with the Ruger Precision, that will leave about $1500 for an optic. Doesn't mean i can't hold out a little bit on the optic until I can put a couple more dollars back..
Some of the best bang for the buck scopes on the market in the $1500 range are the Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 and the Delta Stryker HD. Both of these are made by LOW in Japan. There are several more brands that use this same scope body and features that each brand specs like turret style, quality of lenses, and type of reticle choices.
I have an original Cronus, and a new model of the Delta Stryker HD. Both scopes are top quality, and don't give up too much to my top tier scopes like S&B PMII's, Nightforce ATACR, or IOR Recon.
Athlon Cronus on my Savage actioned 6.5 CM-

Delta Stryker HD on my Savage actioned 7mm-08-

Supporting Member
Old Ron
Tell us more about your Rifle ! Very interesting! Remington Action, Barrel and all!

That is a pretty fancy Scope you have there! What Brand is it! :p And I see the Mounts are the best there is and expensive as well:p

Reactions: OLD Ron and 9mil

Registered
Old Ron
Tell us more about your Rifle ! Very interesting! Remington Action, Barrel and all!

That is a pretty fancy Scope you have there! What Brand is it! :p And I see the Mounts are the best there is and expensive as well:p

The rifle is a Remington 700 action ...... timney trigger 1.5 oz. pull ..... stainless steel 1-8 twist 22 250 bull barrel ..... composite bench stock ... full glass floating .
The scope is where it gets special ...... That's a 12" heavy padded recoil braney towel with very clear optics . The mounts are the very expensive scotch brand .
It all is a winter project started a couple years ago .
I have 8 spare scopes to choose from have been thinking on the ADE 6 25 x 56 with Remington rings .
:)

Premium Member
G42 G43x P95DC CZ82 Mak CZ70 AR etc.
The rifle is a Remington 700 action ...... timney trigger 1.5 oz. pull ..... stainless steel 1-8 twist 22 250 bull barrel ..... composite bench stock ... full glass floating .
The scope is where it gets special ...... That's a 12" heavy padded recoil braney towel with very clear optics . The mounts are the very expensive scotch brand .
It all is a winter project started a couple years ago .
I have 8 spare scopes to choose from have been thinking on the ADE 6 25 x 56 with Remington rings .
:)
Would you please just get that gun finished ! Darn you are getting slow Ron. Then bring it down here to our range and let me try it out.:p

Registered
Would you please just get that gun finished ! Darn you are getting slow Ron. Then bring it down here to our range and let me try it out.:p
Not a lot of spare time as you know here outlaw .
Did get a couple done last winter .
I have parts to do 2 more 700s in short actions too .
It would be nice to finish up the 97s & the bench rifle this winter .
As far as shooting you know you can come up to shop 4 & shoot any time you like . :)

Premium Member
G42 G43x P95DC CZ82 Mak CZ70 AR etc.
Not a lot of spare time as you know here outlaw .
Did get a couple done last winter .
I have parts to do 2 more 700s in short actions too .
It would be nice to finish up the 97s & the bench rifle this winter .
As far as shooting you know you can come up to shop 4 & shoot any time you like . :)
Yea, I need to get up there. You've been so busy that I didn't want to take up your time this year.

Supporting Member
Old Ron
Very nice and thanks for the info! And in 22-250. It should be simply a tac driver. I had a 22-250 years ago and it was a Remington 788. The embarrassing thing was that little inexpensive plain Jane Rifle would out shoot my Remington 700 BDL .:rolleyes: We will need more Pictures and a Range Report! ;)

9mil

WOW!
Excellent choice! And wait until you shoot it. You will be even more impressed! You will have to send us some pictures when you get the Scope on it and then the Range Report!
If I needed another precision Rifle I would no doubt have one here!:)

Reactions: OLD Ron and 9mil
21 - 40 of 110 Posts