Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
I like guns....
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking in to a Ruger Precision rifle in 6.5cm or 300prc. Looking for advantages and disadvantages. I don't hunt, but like the thought of long range. I'm thinking this will be a 1000yrd rifle build.

·
Premium Member
I like guns....
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What it boils down to, I have about $2500-3k. $1200 in gift cards for Bass Pro. I'd like to get the best long range rifle within me means from there. Input would be greatly appreciated.. What say you Sniper03..

·
Premium Member
I like guns....
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So let's try this again... You have 3k burning ones pocket, and you wish to build a 1k yard rifle.. You buy what?? ...

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
Bro... I vote for the Christianson... but you still gotta buy glass.
But i dont know much of anything... im still trying to find primers so i can load some match worthy .50 BMG.

·
Premium Member
I like guns....
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bro... I vote for the Christianson... but you still gotta buy glass.
But i dont know much of anything... im still trying to find primers so i can load some match worthy .50 BMG.
Please elaborate on Christensen arms.. Lil experience, but great reviews..

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
I personally wouldn't pick any of your choices. A semi-auto isn't going to give you consistency, Christensen firearm's in general have never impressed me at all when it comes to accuracy, and while the Ruger RPR shoots great, the action is far from being smooth.

For $3k, You can build a pretty nice rifle using a Mack Brothers Evo, or Bighorn Orgin action, a custom pre-fit barrel, a nice stock or chassis, and any of the best custom trigger's made as well as still being able to put decent glass on it.
You could spend $1500 on a nice custom rifle, and $1500 on a nice scope, and easily have a great 1k yard rifle.

Sniper03 will brag all he wants about the Ruger RPR, but in the end, it's still a cheap factory rifle with all the flaws that cheap factory rifles have.

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
When it comes to the cartridge, Do you reload?
If not, I'd say the 6.5 CM all day long because the choices you will have in factory ammo.
If you do, then choose the one that you can find brass, powder, primer's and bullet's for. It doesn't do any good to have a gun that you can't make or buy ammo for.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
You don’t necessarily have to have the best rifle and optics to shoot long range (1000) but you do need to become a good rifleman and learn to be proficient at long range. You may already be a good rifleman, I don’t know, and I am for sure not trying to talk down to you. I would initially go with the RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor. While it is still just a factory rifle, they do give good results to a good rifleman. You might spend a bit more on your glass so when you feel confident and are a consistent long range shooter,and you know what you want in your rifle, you can build to suit as Txhillbilly suggests and just put the glass on the new rifle.

Several years ago I bought a Savage 10 FCP in 6.5 Creedmoor and put a Vortex FFP Scope on it. I was able to do this for just over $1000. Unfortunately, I have yet to get to a 1000 yard range, but I have shot it out to 750 yards quite effectively. If I was going to take the next step I would do as Txhillbilly suggested, and I would upgrade optics too. But for now I enjoy my clunky old Savage. I load for it and can consistently shoot one hole groups at 100 nowadays. Shot a 200 yard group that was just a fuzz over 1” a few months back. Shooting our 8” gong at 400 yards gets pretty boring really fast. And I am not what I would consider a great rifleman, just average.

Whatever you choose, good luck!

·
Premium Member
I like guns....
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You don’t necessarily have to have the best rifle and optics to shoot long range (1000) but you do need to become a good rifleman and learn to be proficient at long range. You may already be a good rifleman, I don’t know, and I am for sure not trying to talk down to you. I would initially go with the RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor. While it is still just a factory rifle, they do give good results to a good rifleman. You might spend a bit more on your glass so when you feel confident and are a consistent long range shooter,and you know what you want in your rifle, you can build to suit as Txhillbilly suggests and just put the glass on the new rifle.

Several years ago I bought a Savage 10 FCP in 6.5 Creedmoor and put a Vortex FFP Scope on it. I was able to do this for just over $1000. Unfortunately, I have yet to get to a 1000 yard range, but I have shot it out to 750 yards quite effectively. If I was going to take the next step I would do as Txhillbilly suggested, and I would upgrade optics too. But for now I enjoy my clunky old Savage. I load for it and can consistently shoot one hole groups at 100 nowadays. Shot a 200 yard group that was just a fuzz over 1” a few months back. Shooting our 8” gong at 400 yards gets pretty boring really fast. And I am not what I would consider a great rifleman, just average.

Whatever you choose, good luck!
I've never shot out past 350-400yrd. This will be a learning experience...

·
Premium Member
I like guns....
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You will need to reload at 1000 yds factory ammo just not going to get it done .
My oldest boy is getting into reloading, so I may have access to a press. But I didn't realize factory loads is a bit light at that range.. hmmm

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
You will need to reload at 1000 yds factory ammo just not going to get it done .
That's completely untrue!
There are plenty of factory ammo choices in several cartridge choices that will happily shoot 1000 yards. Will you be setting records or winning matches with it? Probably not, but it'll ring steel at 1k without a problem.

It's easier when you load your own because you can tailor each load to your barrel, and adjust powder charges for different altitudes and atmospheric conditions. You can't do that with factory ammo.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
So let's try this again... You have 3k burning ones pocket, and you wish to build a 1k yard rifle.. You buy what?? ...
I had a couple of these custom built back in the late 2000's. They're dedicated 1000-yard competition rifles which weight a lot. I find I need at least a 5-25X56MM with a 34 mm scope tube as to get enough light for optimum resolution at 1000 yards. However, your eyes may differ. I use 260 Remington caliber which is 6.5 mm for any comps I get into. If you don't reload your own then I'd definitely go with the 6.5 Creedmoor. That being said I use the other target rifle in .300 Win Mag for out to 1500 yards and am having a 300 PRC built for even further.
Plant Air gun Machine gun Trigger Tree

Reactions: OLD Ron

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
My oldest boy is getting into reloading, so I may have access to a press. But I didn't realize factory loads is a bit light at that range.. hmmm
I'm using 139 gr. Lapua Scenar Bullets in Remington or Starline brass with CCI primers in the Remington 260.

·
Premium Member
I like guns....
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had a couple of these custom built back in the late 2000's. They're dedicated 1000-yard competition rifles which weight a lot. I find I need at least a 5-25X56MM with a 34 mm scope tube as to get enough light for optimum resolution at 1000 yards. However, your eyes may differ. I use 260 Remington caliber which is 6.5 mm for any comps I get into. If you don't reload your own then I'd definitely go with the 6.5 Creedmoor. That being said I use the other target rifle in .300 Win Mag for out to 1500 yards and am having a 300 PRC built for even further.
View attachment 249063
I appreciate your input.. I believe I'm set on the 6.5cm. Im thinking the Christensen Arms. Why, I like the look, good reviews. I've never shot this kinda range, but I want to try.. Call it a bucket list item if you wish..

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I appreciate your input.. I believe I'm set on the 6.5cm. Im thinking the Christensen Arms. Why, I like the look, good reviews. I've never shot this kinda range, but I want to try.. Call it a bucket list item if you wish..
So, these bolt action rifles your looking at are kind of a tube gun. Good choice. Again, if you don't reload, 6.5 Creedmoor is the way to go. Good glass to do this, however is, spendy.

Reactions: 9mil
1 - 20 of 39 Posts