6.5 grendel build?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by AznZOhAn, Jul 14, 2011.

1. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Hello all, I am new here and new too rifles, I'm good on handguns. I have a Rockriver entry heavy barrel with Daniel Defense rail on it, shoots great, and I have a S&W M&P 15 good rifle. I want build a 6.5 Grendel. I did some research and know a little stuff. I want something on an AR platform for distance. I wanna get a mega machines upper and lower, 20" or 24" Alexander Arms barrel and bolt, magpul stock, rockriver trigger, weighted buffer, troy industries rail handguard. How does this sound and where can I get good prices on parts.

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

3. chaser2020

chaser2020 New Member

You'll like the Grendel. I have two. Light recoil, but can easily shoot a large enough bullet to take down deer. Good luck with the build!

4. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

I'm excited about this. From what I have read about the 6.5 Grendel, it has awesome ballistics.

5. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

I'm thinking about using it in the police games next year in precision shooting, and I'm also think about turning my rock river into a 5.56 SBR for CQB competition.

6. chaser2020

chaser2020 New Member

One of my G's is my dedicated Field Precision Rifle. 20" AA Hunter. The other is a 16" AA Tactical upper on a Plum Crazy lower. Whole rifle weighs in at 5.5 lbs. This is my hunting rifle.

7. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

I'm planning 20" heavy barrel, mega machine upper and lower billet set, magpul acs or ubr stock, Troy industries free float 13" mfs battle rail, rockriver trigger, and Harris bi-pod so far and cerakote it. I'm trying find good prices

8. chaser2020

chaser2020 New Member

Looks like an awesome build. Are you using the RRA 2 stage or single stack. I'm a 2 stage guy myself, 'cause I like to know when I'm gonna break the shot.

9. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

I like the 2 stage, it gets lighter after you put some rounds through it, the single stage is more consistent.

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

AznZOhAn,

The 6.5 Grendel is a fine round with excellent ballistics and flight.
    I have been advised that Hornady is loading or going to load them. But you can also reload them. They are easy to reload. I am shooting the 95gr. V-max in Norma Brass and recently got some new Hornady Brass to reload. I also have loaded some 123 grain A-Max rounds but have not shot them as of yet. As far as the 95 grain V-Max, they will turn a prairie dog inside out at 400 yards.
    I have a Sabre Defence Varmint/Competition in the 18" Fluted Barrel.
    Sounds great on your build plan! You will want to police your brass up after shooting. The Norma's are around $1.00 ea. But you usually can load each of them 4-5 times and be safe. And I do love the RRA 2 Stage Trigger you mentioned!

11. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

I don't reload yet, but it is also in my plans. I have 2 ARs, a RRA and S&W M&P. I'm going to SBR the smith next year, the RRA is fine as is. I am currently in law enforcement and want the 6.5 because of it's ballistics, the only down side to it is that it's not a common round and pricey. But it shoots flatter and has more distance than a 7.62 NATO with less kick, more energy, longer distance, and consistency than a 5.56 NATO, and it just puts the 6.8 down past 200. Besides ammo I can't see the down side to this.

12. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Does anybody know how the 6.5 is suppressed. I plan on doing that too, I figure 20" barrel with a can give it a little more reach.

13. chaser2020

chaser2020 New Member

Roger that, but since the majority of my shooting is 600 yards, I like the feel of the 2 stage, so I have them in all my AR platforms. Also, I have heard stories of the 2 stage getter lighter after using for a while, but my match AR has over a thousand rounds through it and I haven't noticed a difference. YMMV.

I reload all my G ammo. AA brass was about $100/100 when I started, but the Hornady brass is about $73/100 now. If you don't try to run a lot of hot loads, you can get quite a few reloads on the the brass. I currently am on my 6th loading on this brass and it still looks good. Right now I'm shooting 120 SMK's but when I run out of those I'll be loading the AMAX 123's. BC is really good and from what I have read matching it up with 8208 XBR is a great combo. I use 2520, but it is temperature sensitive.

14. chaser2020

chaser2020 New Member

You posted this while I was answering your othe post. I am having a suppressor built by Templar Consulting, but depending on the thread of your barrel, any good can will work. As far as adding reach, IDK.

15. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Cans add 50 feet per second to 5.56 NATO, so I'm thinking it will do better on 6.5. It should be like shooting out of 24".

16. chaser2020

chaser2020 New Member

I am getting this can to shoot hogs. They just passed a law making it legal to use them with no caliber restriction.

Knowing it can add some fps to the round is an added benefit.

17. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Is that a Texas law

18. chaser2020

chaser2020 New Member

Next door- Louisiana

19. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

I need to hunt in your state when I get a suppressor.

20. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Can somebody advise me if I should go gas blow back or gas piston and why.