.577 Boxer Ammo

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by quetzalcoatl, Oct 3, 2007.

1. quetzalcoatl

quetzalcoatl New Member

What kind of gun fires .577 Boxer cartridges?

2. deadin

deadin New Member

Webley made a large revolver in this chambering around 1868. I seem to remember it was a 4 shot cylinder because of the size of the cartrige. I've seen a picture of one, but can't seem to find it right now. If I do, I will post it.
    I also think there were some "Howdah" pistols (Large single-shot or double barrel) in this chambering.

Dean

3. Stumpy16076

Stumpy16076 New Member

I believe Tranter made a five shot .577-it had a seperate backing plate that revolved with the cylinder (similar to cartridge conversion cylinders for cap and ball revolvers). Can't remember which book/magazine/annual I saw it in, but I seem to remember the article's author actually made some .577 rounds and fired the beast! Neat looking gun-the cylinder looked like tubes welded together.

4. Swilt

Swilt New Member

Hello from Your Neighbor to the North

Long time reader, first post.

I just wanted to say hi from Toronto : )

At first I came to do some research on a new pup. Now I come back all the time to see what is new. Thanks for building a great community.

Sara
    Mother of 4 wonderful children
    Dog-mom of 4 : )

5. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

Not sure of the .577 Boxer round, but the old British Martini-Enfields fired the .577 cartridge. The .577 was later necked down to .45 caliber to become the .577/.450, the British practice of retaining the original cartridge designation to indicate it was the .577 necked down to .45 caliber. Later the round was shortened to revolver length to become the .577/.450 Revolver, which, if I remember correctly, had a bore diameter of about .600" and was used in a few British and Belgian revolvers of the period.

Made a BIG revolver.

Bob Wright

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

In my Cartridges of the world I see no 577 boxer. I see the following.

577BP Express 2.5", 2.75", 3", 3.25"
    577 Nitro Express 2.5", 2.75", 3", 3.25"
    577 Snider
    577 T-rex
    577/450 Martini-Henry
    577/500 3 1/8"
    577/500 No. 2

This is the most complete collection of cartridges I know of. So if you have some more info and/ or pictures it would be helpful.

7. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

"Cartridges of the World" complete? Don't think so. I find H.P. White's "Cartridge Identification Guide" series the most nearly complete work, as well as "U.S. Cartridges and their Handguns" to be an excellent work. One book, by Erlanger and Brandt, excapes me now, but printed in Germany but bilingual, is one of the best sources of information for metric ammunition. And "The Cartridge guide" while without illustrations, is most helpful as to headstamp information.

Bob Wright

8. RGH

RGH New Member

577 Boxer

Greetings, Gentlemen,

Just found this forum. Thought I might jump in with a photo of my 577.
    I call her "Thumper", and is actually .600 caliber. Made in Belgium by Gilon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. snidervolley

snidervolley New Member

.577 boxer revolver

RGH
    i would love to see a belgium boxer can you send me pics? and if your interested in selling i am intersted in buying
    love to see it either way
    thanks
    kymm.k.wilson@boeing.com

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You DID note that you are responding to a post from over 2 years ago?

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

Where's the friggin cake!?!?

12. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Attached Files:

13. snidervolley

snidervolley New Member

boxer revolver

oh ya, i have revived a many dead threads

14. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

Thanks for reviving this thread!!! I joined last year around this time and would have never seen this thread otherwise.

And, I must say, that's a huge piece of lead heading down range! Please refrain from aiming (anything) at me.

15. snidervolley

snidervolley New Member

Apparently I got some cake booby prize?