550 Paracord

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by TrueNorth, Mar 28, 2011.

1. TrueNorth

TrueNorth New Member

Hello again,

I was just looking at getting some paracord to add to the BOB, and am having trouble finding a retailer that has it. Lots of places online seem to carry it but a whole bunch of the sites seem shady.

Like anything, I'll bet that there are lots of knockoff/fake or civilian products on the market that look like, or are marketed as the "real thing" but really aren't.

survivaltopics.com has a store that claims it's selling the real 550 milsurp paracord. $7.99+ shipping for 15 meters (50ft).

Has anyone dealt with them, or does anyone have a for-sure reliable dealer?

Survival Gear

I appreciate the insight!

2. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

it can probably be had at a px on a military base near you. you could get someone you know in the military to go pick some up for you. thats how i get mine anyway.

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

550 Parachute Cord MIL-C-5040

Really I buy all mine off of Ebay.

Why does it matter it's milspec 5040 anyways? Are you going to be sling loading a car with the stuff?

4. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Hey, what's that site that makes the belts and slings out of paracord?

Anyone got the link?

5. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

If I am paying for it anyway and have a choice, why not? If it is fake, who knows where else they skimped? I don't want one that fails when I needed it most. It could be not strong enough, not UV resistant enough, rots, etc.

Just like guns...not all 1911 are built the same right? ;)

6. Jay

Jay New Member

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

You do know you can make them yourself. Very easy.

Get some 550 cord and watch youtube. I make bracelets all the time for people.

8. workinprogress

workinprogress New Member

I've made bracelets, a rifle sling and am working on a belt right now. A little tedious on the belt but it's simple.

9. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

10. TrueNorth

TrueNorth New Member

Well I'm no mall ninja, if that's what you're trying to get at! :)

For every day use it doesn't matter, and no I don't plan on stockpiling the stuff or doing any advanced military jobs with it. I don't mind having civilian stuff, or normal nylon or polyester / propelyne rope for camping or normal use. But for a BoB, I'd like to know I've got the best.

A BoB serves what purpose? - to help us survive from desperate situations that we may or may not be able to predict. When you grab that BoB and leave your house, you leave knowing that you may never return, and the only possessions you'll own are the ones in that bag. Plus you never know what you may be facing, so it's best to be prepared.

If my life depends on it, and all I own or have to work with is the stuff in my bag, I'd like to know it can do whatever may be needed. I'll pay a premium for a few lengths or 550!

Thanks everyones input!

11. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

12. TrueNorth

TrueNorth New Member

Alrighty, so the orders are in!

But what are the real utility functions of a light rope like this? Just generic camp duties like clotheslines! Certainly not for emergency rappeling.

From what I hear 550 has very specific uses, and if you nick the nylon the whole shreds quick.

13. Jay

Jay New Member

Here's a few uses... not only the complete cord, but the components are quite useful as well.. (7 inner, individual strands)

Ridgelines for Tarps
    Securing Equipment
    Shoelaces
    Hanging Food from Bears
    Vehicle Tie Downs
    Sewing Fabric
    Repairing Equipment
    Making a Fire Bow
    Fishing Line
    Paracord String for a Bow
    Making a Shelter
    Fish Gill Nets
    Fishing Line
    Animal Snares
    Clothes Lines
    Paracord Lanyards
    Anchor Line
    Binding
    Twine
    Animal Restraints
    Tooth Floss
    Splints
    Tourniquet
    Paracord Braiding

14. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

When cutting and using 550, make sure you have a lighter to melt the ends or your going to get a mess.

The uses are only limited to the imagination of the user. Its really great stuff.

15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Anything you want or need it todo.

If you need to hold a lot of weight 550 cord. It is quick easy and light to carry a lot of it. in a standard 8" bracelet I use 10 to 20' of 550 cord more or less depending on how you do it.

It works great for hanging your teenage daughters boy friends out of the second story window by their ankles.