550 cord sling

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by jjfuller1, Feb 16, 2014.

1. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

My wife helped a lot with our first attempt at a sling. We made it little small and with just some key chain rings. Its gonna work good as a single point for my hunting rifle. I got motivated and did a little digging around yesterday. I measured one of my leather slings, got a set of sling swivels, and got to work. This is what I made last night and this morning. Did just black for the inner layer. Then did coyote and black for the outer layer. I was thrilled with how it came out. Notice the difference in design from front to back. I stuck to the rule of thumb for 1inch of stitch use 1 ft of cord. It was enough and not to much extra. Now to get a rifle to put it on.

Attached Files:

2. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

Very nice. Thought about trying this myself.

Sent from my ADR6410LRA using Firearms Talk mobile app

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

very nicely done!:D

not for me though. my stepdaughter hated it when i had to braid her hair when her mother couldn't!:eek:

4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Top one is the first again. Made the bottom one this weekend.. Its not really white, its a light camo pattern but the sun was so bright... I think I found a new hobby. If anyone wants one im up to making a deal!

5. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Attached Files:

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Made the wife a sling.. As she requested.

Attached Files:

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I just made this one for my Marlin Model 60 a couple of days ago. It took about 3 hours.

Attached Files:

8. oldman10mm

oldman10mm Member

my 'Zombie' slings

[​IMG]

My 'USA' sling

[​IMG]

9. Apyl

Apyl New Member

I recently made a paracord sling for my 597, I thought I liked the color of the cord but now that its on my rifle I am not thrilled with it. It may be the knot I used as well. I do like the cobra weave you used. I should re-do it with a different knot and see how it looks.
    Nice job on the slings.

10. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

I had a bud's kid do the shoulder area in paracord, then ran reg webbing for the rest.
    Not as heavy that way.

11. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Made these this week.

Attached Files:

12. oldman10mm

oldman10mm Member

how much time making each ?

13. JDallas5

JDallas5 New Member

I would be impressed if you would make a single point sling instead of traditional two point

More prepared than most. Less prepared than many.

14. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have only made one 550 cord sling, and that one was for my Charter Arms AR 7 Explorer. As to making one for my other rifles, I think I'll pass. 80 to 100 feet of cord when you need it in a SHTF situation would be a good thing, but IMHO not if you have to sacrifice the sling you use to keep your hands free while carrying your rifle. Kind of feels like false economy to me.

Some nice looking slings JJ.

A link to the AR 7 sling thread: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/sling-ar-7-a-100969/

15. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

between 3 and 5 hours. depends on my concentration lol

i did. and plan on another soon.

thanks.

16. mich1377usmc

mich1377usmc New Member

JJ -- been thinking of making one for the wife's shotty , 2 Q's though

How long are the slings??

How much 550 did you use??

Mickey

17. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Took a sling, adjusted it to the length I wanted for said firearm then measured the sling. If it was 36 inches. I used about 38 to 40ft if its 1 co!or. If doing different colors just cut it in half. So 20ft of each color. For a total of about 80ft of cord.

For me 35 to 38 inches is a good length, but it can vary slightly from gun to gun, and person to person

18. mich1377usmc

mich1377usmc New Member

JJ--- OK thanks . I make smaller things with 550 but nothing as large as a sling, now I have another project to do better this next build is complete. BTW, how due you like your 6.8 ???

19. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Be warned it sucks when you first start with all that cord.. Lol... Loving it.. Gonna build another.. My upper arrives Thursday. :)