55 Chevy Resto-Mod

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by ScottA, Jun 6, 2011.

1. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

After much frustration, my father picked up his nearly completed 55 Chevy today.

Attached Files:

2. ScottA

A few more pictures

It's a beauty.

Attached Files:

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Nice looking car.

I would do the following things.
    1. Move battery to trunk
    2. Get rid of the stupid side pipes (I hate them things)
    3. Change out the modern stereo equipment for a made to order new old stereo.
    4. Paint the problem is you would have to change the interior as well. I HATE GREEN.

Like I said that is me.

4. ScottA

My father is not a shooter, but considering all the trouble this restoration has had; if you made those suggestions to him, you would be shot. ;)

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Very cool. There's an awful lot of work, man hours and money in a car like that. :cool:

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I like it (no matter what Tango sez about the color).

7. jca1

jca1 New Member

That is a beautiful 55' right there! Oh, I hate your dad now:D

8. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I like it. Looks great. A real head turner.

Here is my Uncle's '55.
    [​IMG]

I like the '55 a little more than the '57.:)

9. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Scott as long as he drives it to the show and doesn't trailer it. I am good to go.

Also I thought you meant he had picked up the car that was done before he got it and not that he owned the car then had it fixed up.

I do think putting AC in the sucker was a really smart move.....

Still would get plenty of pictures taken by me at the car show.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

I love restored old cars. You can always tell who has a passion and not by how the car arrives at a show. Trailer no passion driven the person loves the ride.

Thats a sweet car and im not into 50's cars!!

11. Cadoll

Cadoll New Member

55's are classic

This year chevy holds a special place in my heart. It was my first car when in high school. My dad found one for me and it was a project restoration car that i drove daily. I paid 50.00 for it and when i got it home we found that it had three coats of paint on it and idont mean professionally done. I still remember using zip strip in the driveway on the thing to get it down to primer. Tore the engine out and overhauled it in auto mechanics class in high school. Alot of work, but a lifetime of memories. Tell your dad that i think it's a Beauty.

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

She's a beauty! Side pipes/cut outs are fine by me. The 55 Bel Aire is my favorite non-Vette Chevy and I'm a Ford guy.

13. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

A very nice Bel Aire!! He has done a wonderful job restoring it.

My sincere congratulations and thanks to him for keeping a piece of American history on the road, in presentation condition!!

14. powg

powg New Member

55 chebby

congrates on the resto .....im not a chevy guy ...mopar or no car .but any project is cool . one thing about the tri 5 's is that the street rod and pro street builds have been played .....the next revolution in bad ass is the retro gasser . high front end straight axle , old school ladder bars ,fender well headers ...im getting a chubby just thinking about it .

15. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Not a bad looking car. I would make a few changes but that's just my taste. If he's happy, keep on motoring.

Can you share a little about the drive train?

16. General_lee

General_lee New Member

That's a nice '55!

I kinda like the modern touches on the interior, not enough to take away the classic look, but just enough to give it "everyday driver" type comfort.

17. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

(drooling)... more beautiful then the Mona leasa

18. towboater

towboater Active Member

A beauty. I would not change a thing.
    i have a 53. When can he get to it?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  19. ScottA

350 and a 3 speed out of a 70's Monte Carlo. I don't know the gear details off the top of my head. Completely rebuilt and tricked out. I haven't had the chance to drive it yet as it had a over-heating problem and went immediately into a garage in hometown. Also has a front suspension issue that needs to be fixed. My father describes it as dangerous power and a sloppy front end... not a good combination.

I'm just thankful it's finally out of the hands of the restoration shop. It was a real trial getting this thing done. The shop had done two previous cars (62 MGA, and a 69 Electra Convertible), but this project was just out of their league. It was endless and frustrating beyond compare.