?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by DodgeThis, Jan 1, 2012.

1. DodgeThis

DodgeThis New Member

Let's go hypothetical for a minute. If you were to only be able to have one and only one rifle (no matter the type), what would you choose. It will have to be the only rifle you could ever own. It's your SD gun,range gun, hunting gun, etc. Would you get a sub-caliber ( like a kel-tec .40 ), would it be a full power rifle round? Semi-auto, rock-n-roll, bolt action? Tell me what you think is the best "all around rifle" (as if there is one) is, and why?

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Are we talking an unlimited supply of ammo, or are we refilling ammo stocks at fair market value?

And in this hypothetical situation, how are the gun laws, or are we talking real world?

In an EOTWAWKI situation, I'd take an AR.

In our real world as we have it today, I'd take the hand gun I already have, a smith and wesson 65-2. Personal defense, home defense, and game getter.

3. DodgeThis

DodgeThis New Member

Let's go hypothetical for a minute. If you were to only be able to have one and only one rifle (no matter the type), what would you choose. It will have to be the only rifle you could ever own. It's your SD gun,range gun, hunting gun, etc. Would you get a sub-caliber ( like a kel-tec .40 ), would it be a full power rifle round? Semi-auto, rock-n-roll, bolt action? Tell me what you think is the best "all around rifle" (as if there is one) is, and why? With this, what accessories would you like on your rifle?

4. woody63m

woody63m New Member

Marlin 30-30 lever action with a good scope can't go wrong

5. woody63m

woody63m New Member

30-30 marlin with scope and I think their are two of the same threads going on or am I losing my mind

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

there were but i merged them :)

7. DodgeThis

DodgeThis New Member

haha thnx jonm, i kind of screwed that up huh?:p

8. ultimate-soldier5

ultimate-soldier5 New Member

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

10. murraywc

murraywc New Member

I would want to go .30 cal. probably something like a AR 10 in .308, it tactical but with alot of range with enough power to kill most anything.
    Thats the next rifle I want probably going to sell a few of my others to get one.

11. downsouth

downsouth New Member

12. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

AK 47 or SKS. even though i don't currently own either, i believe that round in one of those rifles would fill all my needs

13. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I wanted to say my SKS, but im gonna have to go with the M1 Garand..

14. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

Mini 14

I think I would go with my Mini 14? The .223 wouldn't be complete overkill on small game with a FMJ. It will still take large game with good shot placement. It can send a lot of rounds downrange quickly if needed. It's pretty cheap to target practice with and fun. And it can shoot decent distances. It isn't the best for any one thing, but it's really good at just about everything. :)

15. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

What kind of subject is "?"

Please use a brief description of the topic in the subject line.

Trolls are known to use simplistic items in the subject line.

16. DodgeThis

DodgeThis New Member

Dan_fl, I appologize for my typo! :eek:

TLuker, This is the thing I had in mind. The whole reason I asked the question, was to find something new to me that could be very affective in most every way. I know a little more about some of the others mentioned here. I even have an SKS. But I don't know alot at all about the mini 14. It has cought my eye a time or two. But I have'nt ever thought to check into it.

17. Jake15

Jake15 New Member

Target model mini 14 in 6.8 spc with several 30 round mags, plenty accurate and a round with enough power to easily take large game, but not quite overkill for small game, with an eotech and a magnifier for close in and far away

18. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

You can check the mini 14 section in the semi-auto section and learn everything there is to know and then some. The action is based on the same action as the M1 Garand, M1 carbine, and M14/M1A, which for me is just cool. The general consensus seems to be that it's in between AK and AR. It's more accurate than the AK and doesn't require as much maintenance as an AR? On the down side it isn't as accurate as the AR or as dependable as the AK? I really don't know if all that's true. Mine will shoot 1" groups at 100 yards all day with factory ammo, but I've also put in a little work getting it to shoot like that. I've also never had an AR so I can't say first hand how accurate or dependable the AR is. In many ways the mini is a lot like your SKS as far just being fun to shoot, but it can also be very accurate. There are also a lot of modifications you can do, which is part of the fun!:)

Attached Files:

19. Recon 173

Recon 173 New Member

20. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Well, if I were in an "?" situation, I'd probably depend on my old

SKS. Plenty of ammo, robust, dependable, easy to clean, accurate, with an

extremely popular (AK) intermediate rifle cartridge.

For accessories, I'd go with the sling, built-in bayonet, and cleaning rod

the rifle originally came with...:cool: