525 rounds for $70?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Westy, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Westy

Westy New Member

I was just out on Gun Broker and came across an auction for 525 rounds on Remington .22 ammo that was at $68.00 and people were still bidding on it.

This is insane! I haven't watched .22 ammo like I do the 9mm and the .223, but I remember only stocking up on the .22 ammo 525 round boxes a few months ago at $ 14.99, and passing on them when they were $ 19.99.

2. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Yep it's sad. Around Thanksgiving I bought a box of 525 on sale for $14.99. There were probably 100 boxes on the shelf. If I had only known then what I know now.

3. Spud9

Spud9 New Member

Well, DUH!!! We are in like, in an ammo recession... Like the ammo we want is not there cause it is like, somewhere else.... like don't yo watch TMZ, it is all over the news.......

Hehehe. Sorry I couldn't resist. I just this passes like everything else and we can get back to whatever it is we call normal. I go by wally world every two days and check, at least they haven't started gouging prices....

4. Westy

Westy New Member

No, sorry TMZ isn't on my "most watched" list......

5. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I saw a 500 round brick of federal at a gunshow for $70. Can anyone see that $70 and raise?

6. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

its stupid
    fools and their money will be parted

7. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Word I got from the local gun in Albuquerque in the first weekend of March, they were saying ammo was off the chart on prices and even weapons. some components were cheaper.

Last time I was at the gun show was about a year ago. Not worth the effort of $5 to park, $7 to get into the show!

8. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

So I shouldn't have bought it? J/k

9. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

Well ammo is hard to come by. My neighbor and I just got 3700 rds of 22 for 300. But I did get 1000 rds of 40 for 450.

10. tCan

tCan Active Member

I've seen .22 close to $1.00 per shot.

11. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Stocking up on black powder and caps, can still get those. Cast my own balls and bullets so I can still shoot. I can't believe this ammo run has lasted this long. Are we on phase 2 yet? This one has been so bad there may even be a phase 3.

12. tCan

tCan Active Member

Um. According to the news I've heard, we should expect things to keep like this until deep into summer.

13. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

my local gun shop is just about out of everything even offered to sell one if my rifles for a near 10% conciment just to have something on the shelf. never seen him do that before

14. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Or longer......

15. cotex

cotex New Member

Really? I thought to my self the thread I read months ago about how many rounds do you have for each gun was dumb, but now I feel like the ammo manufactures would up there production buy hiring part time people to take advantage of the obseritity of what's going on. I'm in manufacturing and if I had the opportunity to sell more product you bet your *** the lights would stay on lateral my plant, no brainier, why wouldn't you want to sell more. I don't get it!

16. tCan

tCan Active Member

As I'm expecting...

Ammo manufactures have upped production to 100% with their current tooling, as have the firearm manufacturers. The problem is that while manufactures could increase tooling now to meet demand, not knowing what the future brings in terms of legislation makes that a risky investment, and so many manufacturers have chosen to stick with their current tooling and take the short term jump in profit, rather than risk retooling only to not have any customers later.

Reference this article: http://directorblue.blogspot.com/2013/01/update-status-of-gun-industry.html

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  17. Westy

Westy New Member

I swung by Cabela's today after a trip into work and it was strange-the pistol ammo was empty except for a half dozen boxes of .38.

Amazing.......

18. dubkay17

dubkay17 New Member

In good ole California i saw a box of 375 .22 going for $75. It was just cheap bulk federal ammo.

19. stonesaver

stonesaver New Member

I bought a couple boxes of 50 22 shorts & long for 7.99 each this week at my LGS. Saving my long rifle rounds for the S &W 15-22. But I bought 10 boxes(50) of 22LR before Christmas for 2.45 each....wanted more but 10 box limit at that point, looking back I am kicking myself or not going back. 9 mm that I bought for $12 before Christmas is now $22, but still on the shelf. You just have to keep looking at multiple locations

20. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

lmao, i saw some for .20 cents a shot last weekend and walked away from it, even though i'm desperate. if we pay these prices, expect them to stay, gentlemen...if we stop the panic, we will watch the prices drop again. :rolleyes:

i refuse to pay much more than .40 cents for 223, unless it is match quality ammo. we should just stop buying OVERPRICED ammo, even if it means no shooting for awhile.