51 percent

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by hawkguy, Mar 2, 2014.

1. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

51% sign.

don't see them in liquor stores? are they only posted if people are consuming liquor on the premises? (basically a bar).

that makes sense, but i thought it was any establishment that get more than 50% revenue from liquor? :confused:

thanks for taking the time to answer this simple question. it seems missing the 51% sign is where you can get in REAL trouble.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You DO know that is a Texas sign? yes, means consumed on premises. A restaurant that serves wine will be OK- a bar that has hotdogs and chips, no.

Here is VA it does not matter, so long as you are not drinking.

You also have the 30-06 sign, meaning owner of the property has opted out of concealed carry on their premises.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Only in Texas do you have something like that.

How did the saying go?

"Here's your sign."

4. hawkguy

actually, no...thanks for telling me. i ASSumed ;) because they claim it is a "federal offense" to carry in a 51% establishment? how can it be a "federal offense" and only related to texas law? meh....a lawyer i ain't, more research is in order i think. upon thinking about it, i did read about that on the texas alcohol and beverage com.....ok...a big "duh" for me.

i knew the 30.06 was only texas, but they don't claim a federal offense on this one, only a trespass IF you refused to leave.

just gathering info, very new to the game.

btw, i like virgina's law better in this instance. makes MUCH more sense! you should be able to carry in bar, but not drink when carrying. makes much more sense imo.

thanks for your info, sir.

5. hawkguy

alright alright....:D

i have had about enough disrespect to texas from posters who live in insignificant states....

then again, not need to fight back really....because you live in insignificant states! :p

continue, gentlemen. i understand the basic psychology of inferiority complexes. :D

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

That is big talk coming from a guy that lives in a state where open carry is illegal.:p

7. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I have no Gripe with TX. I was Sta. at Ft. Hood(8/80-1/82) for almost a year and a half..But for me, as far as "Base Life" goes, I liked Ft. Campbell much better...(1/82-12/84)...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

8. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Most states have arcane liquor laws. In Indiana, no CCW in the wet bar area, but ok in the rest of the restaurant. Draw a mental line of demarcation... Most have a symbolic barrier though.

My favorite is, only a liquor store can sell cold beer.

9. c3shooter

The sign does not say Federal offense- says Felony.

51percent.jpg

Now play nice, or we will cut Alaska into 3 parts, and make Texas the 4th largest state....

:p

10. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Lol yea, gas stations can sell beer but only warm and no alcohol on Sunday unless you go to a restaurant where you are free to get s--faced. Makes perfect sense!! ?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

licquor stores derive more than 51% of their revenue from the sale of alcohol. bars, clubs, and saloons derive more than 51% from the sale of alcohol. places like Appleby's, Chili's and TGIF derive less than 51% of their revenue from the sale of alcohol.

now here's and interesting one to think about. there are sum clubs in Texas that operate under BYOB rule. they sell set-ups, but no alcohol. you can bring in your own bottle of licquor or beer or whatever. now unless i'm mistaken, they also don't have to have a licquor license either, but i'm not 100% sure about that, because they are not selling alcohol. now these places are where people are consuming alcohol, but it's not deriving it's revenue from the sale of alcohol, so technically carry here would be legal.

now i simply put this out there for discussion and opinions and something to ponder over.

12. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Look who's talking. Last time I checked, Colorado had a problem with anti gun Libs making laws in their state. :p

13. hawkguy

LMAO! good one! :p

14. hawkguy

oooo...that's even better! :D

i have upped your status to "texas ranger!"

15. hawkguy

HAW! nice...see we can have our fun. no hurt feelings here.

and i'll take being insulted in texas over living in Virginia any day! :D

16. hawkguy

felony, federal offense....so easy for use law abiding citizens to not notice the difference, but thanks for the info!

now i have some in my family far more versed in the legal system, through personal experience...not law degrees. :eek:

17. hawkguy

do you know i can buy a 100 round drum magazine? :p

of course, i won't....but still....;)

thanks all for the info! sorry for the "duh" question.

18. c3shooter

Hawk, I will (grudgingly) admit to having VERY fond memories of Denton Tx- and a place that was then called Texas Women's University- or as we called it- "The Happy Hunting Ground"!

:D

19. hawkguy

:D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjQRrGy9AuM[/ame]

20. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

"On premises consumption" is the key wording in Texas law.

Therefore, liquor stores are legal to carry into. Oklahoma has almost the exact same wording in their laws. When I was living there I carried into the liquor store all the time and the owner knew it. We talked guns all the time, he let me know (and see) his under counter anti-bad-guy tool, and heck, I even bought a case of beer once with a box of 380's.

As far as the 30.06 signs at establishments that are not federally listed or derive 51% of their business from alcohol.... NEVER EVER SEEN ONE!!! Of course living in Austin I don't doubt you have seen them.