500 s&W mag.

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by rob1990, Apr 1, 2013.

1. rob1990

rob1990 New Member

Does anyone have any experience with them? I'm looking to get a good revolver and have shot 357 and 44mag. Just wondering if it'd be worth it to go really big.

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Rob,

I do not have one but have shot one! A buddy of mine has a 500 and a 454 Cassuel. The 500 is a whole lot of gun! You may really like one if you are into the 44 Mag. But significantly more recoil! If you could you might want to shoot one before you spend the money! Nice gun just a whole lot of power.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Do you really want to spend $4+ every time you pull the trigger?

4. rob1990

rob1990 New Member

Is the recoil really more then a 44mag? I've read that its an easier gun to shoot then the 44 I don't know anyone that has a 500 I was thinking off getting a 357 with a 4inch barrel to get better ballistics then the shorter barrel but I figured if I was ganna spend the money maybe I should go big? Lol it won't be a everyday gun I have others for that

5. rob1990

rob1990 New Member

I figure all magnums are pricey to shoot well any ammo at the moment is pricey I'm just curious if it'd be a fun and worth while gun to own

6. PGM

PGM New Member

Not if you plan on doing alot of shooting. I have a 45.70 pistol and even though i reload the cost is close to double what 44m.cost me to reload. 500s would be about 130 a hundred versus 54 for 100 44m. reloads(midway),For me the initial euphoria would fade.My 45.70 though is banned from most pistol ranges too.But getting ammo in any form is hard.

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Rob.

To me comparing the recoil of the 44 Mag to the 500 Mag is like comparing the 38 Spc to the 357 Mag if that makes sense. They are also expensive to shoot unless you reload and they still are somewhat expensive. I condsider my self not a whimp when it comes to guns and shooting. But I would not want a prolonged day's range trip or steady diet of shooting one either. Just my opinion! Did I enjoy shooting the 500 Mag and the 454 Casull? Yes I did! But I like all weapons. And like a different rush and experience once in a while from the norm and shooting all weapons I get a chance to shoot. Including my buddies 416 Rigby African Big Game Rifle but a few is "enough"! :D
    But you mentioned the 357 Mag. That is the good thing about choosing a 357 Mag Revolver. You can shoot 38 Specials and 38 Target ammunition but also full blown 357 Magnums for what ever purpose! And I do also like the 44 Mag. and shooting 44 Specials in them for plinking.

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I've never shot more than 3 shots out of the 500. To me it isn't enjoyable. The recoil isn't unbearable or anything it just looses the entertainment value quickly. The 500 also tends to have a lot of dirty blowback in my experience. Glasses are a must have. I'll shoot .44 or .357 all day long. I'll also happily shoot a .50 cal rifle all day long.

9. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a .500 S&W magnum, single shot rifle. It makes me take a step back every time I shoot it. I couldn't imagine shooting that round from a pistol. The ammunition is really expensive but it is for hunting, so you won't really go through a lot. And it is much less destructive than high velocity rounds.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

PLEASE! Test it on some bears...maybe the Three Bears test: too big for cubs, too messy for the females, but just right for the big guys.

11. rob1990

rob1990 New Member

Alright I'm starting to think it might just be annoying to shoot more then once can anyone tell me anything about the 460? I've seen them at the gun store also but as I said befor I've only shot 357 and 44mags.

12. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

A major HANDFULL! It hurts:eek:

13. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Haven't shot the 500 yet but I have shot the SW .460 mag. One word....giggles. It makes a grown man giggle. Paying to feed it would suck but if it can blow your hair back when standing behind it, the business end is no joke. Great gun for hunting in bear country. I can't really see any other purpose. Cept for expensive entertainment:p

14. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Go to a range that has one for rent and take a test drive. If you still want one, check the local classifieds. I used to see used, low rounds count .500s all the time. I haven't looked in a while. I doubt that they have suddenly gotten rare. I suspect that at $4 per shot, the novelty wears off quickly. It's an expensive way to scare other range users.
    If I were to suddenly covet the X frames, I'd go with the .460. A much more versatile diameter. Even for reloaders, things that start with .5 are significantly more expensive than things that start w/ .45, double to triple last time I looked. If you don't reload, the .460 makes sense too. You can shoot the ultra-mild .45 Colt or the mild to medium .454 Casull ;) in it as well. Even the .45 Colt ammo, while not a screaming bargain, is much cheaper than a lot of hotter options. so you can afford to shoot it more.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  15. jebsca

jebsca New Member

I have and enjoy my 500. I have taken many friends out to shoot it, and they all seamed to like it. Some were done shooting sooner than others, but you have that with any gun. It is THE round that got me to start reloading. I was picking up the cheap stuff and paying $2 to drop the hammer. I am able to reload it for about $.50 a round for cheap plinking rounds. Still not cheap, but much better. It is hard to put into words the feeling of shooting this thing. I think someone said something about giggles. That would be a good word. From the time you pull out the ammo and show someone the difference between a 500 and a 357 mag, to letting them pick up a revolver that is over 4.5 lbs empty. To date, everybody that I have offered to let shoot it will not until they see me shoot it first. After that, I have only had a few people still say no, and only two that would not shoot a whole wheel. I have even been able to work up a nice light load that I have let my sister shoot. After we shot all of the light loads, and she could feel the difference when her husband fired some hunting loads, she tried the harder hitting rounds only to quit after 1 round. She did bag her limit of worms that day! I wouldn't let my 12 year old boy or 100 lb sister-in-law shot it, but I think that it is fun and can help a person shoot better. My sister was much happier shooting my 357 mag after my 500 and was not scared of it at all.

16. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a Freedom Arms Model 83 in .500 Wyoming Express, though somewhat less power ballistically than a .500 S&W, it will pretty much do anything a .500 Smith will do in my opinion, in a revolver that is far more portable than the X-frame Smith. I know the Smith is a fine revolver but you need half a cow for a holster and a fence post to lean it on to shoot it seems. I just like the FA because you have all the power you will ever need in a handgun and you can carry it without develop an hunchback from toting it around. Recoil,,, well any revolver chambering the modern big bores over 44 mag., really can beat your hands up. To me the difference between my .500 and other pistols I own is like comparing a 10 ga. to a 20ga. Recoil is very heavy and shooting from a bench is not pleasant at all. Cost is another consideration, I bought dies and brass a week after I picked up the revolver and the .500 WE loaded down is actually as mild as a .45ACP with some Trailboss loads and saves your hands alot. I

17. jp_over

jp_over New Member

I owned the .460 and carried it in AK for fishing and hiking (sold it when I left as there's no use for it in GA.). The recoil of the .460 magnum cartridge made accurate shot placement difficult so I only carried .454 (hard cast) in the field. I have not shot the 500 but have heard (from more than one person) it's recoil make's accurate shooting even more difficult than the 460. You used to be able to find them (S&W 500) for sale fairly often on outdoorsdirectory.com (an AK specific forum).

For me, the extra power of the 460 round was not worth what I gave up in accuracy. Also of note, you have quite a few more options with the 460 (460, 454, & 45LC).

18. hkhunter

hkhunter New Member

I know two people who limp wristed a 500 and bruised their wrist. The guy that has the 500 shoots every week with his own reloads

19. RustyShackleford101

RustyShackleford101 New Member

If its hard for you to handle .44s, I wouldn't go near a .500. I've been shooting magnum handguns for years, and a .500 is still too much for me after about 5 shots. They are very impressive pieces , and would probably take down anything you would find walking around on earth. But as a practical gun, I don't think a .500 is of much value. They are some cool collector/enthusiast guns, though.