500 mossberg

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Birchhatchery, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

I have a pump a old 500 a 12 guage shotgun ive been shooting rifeld slugs threw and and have accuracy all over I cant keep a tight group what should I do keep practicing or anything I can do to gun>?

2. coopertrooper

coopertrooper New Member

First things first: make sure it's clean and oiled up all over, try using different shells and if it's a long barrel then that's understandable, I get better accuracy out of my 17 1/2" barrel

3. readygirl

readygirl New Member

That seems odd, more accurate with the shorter barrel....Are you using the rifled slugs in a smooth bore....?

4. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Try it on a rest to see if its you, or the gun. Dont pull the trigger , squeeeeze it....

5. readygirl

readygirl New Member

I have found that most guns that are off, are off consistantly X=ammount in one direction, not "all over" What kind of yardage are we talking about....?

6. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

It's really not odd, my group of cheapskates found that what us old folks called riot guns shot Foster slugs better than just about everything but a sabot barrel using sabots. The imp cyl choke and the fact that the barrel ended shortly after the attachment point to the mag tube seemed to be what kept down the barrel whip. One guy even replaced the thumbscrew with an allen bolt on his 500 and tightened it with a torque wrench after every removal. We all finally broke down and bought slug guns eventually.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Cooper, either i hope you have made a typo error or have a SBS tax stamp.

legal length of a shotgun barrel is 18".

8. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Are you anticipating the pull of the trigger and the recoil? Are you using earplugs and have a nice recoil pad on it?

9. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

i am shooting at about 25-30 yards I do have a nice recoil pad on it and no earplugs will this time and was shooting with just my arms resting on my knees in a chair I will set up a table and the gun rest this time also. I am using a imp cylinder barrel with 12 guage 2/3 Winchester slugs yes my shotgun is clean and oiled I can shoot skeet great with it but slugs are a different story I probly am flinching at recoil because that sob kicks like a mule with slugs in it!

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have a Mossberg 500 that I mounted a scope on and made it a dedicated slug gun. Your 500 is likely drilled and tapped or you can buy a side saddle scope mount. Mine has a rifled barrel. Shooting plain old Winchester rifled slug that come in the 15 count boxes it will shoot a 4" group at 75 yards. You can find a rifled barrel on ebay for around $100. The federal fusion sabots work well. The Winchester 300 gr bonded sabots shoot as well as a 30-30.

11. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Most if not all of the previous posts are good starting points. Where I would start is:

1. make sure the shotgun is cleaned and properly oiled.
    2. Make sure the barrel nut is tight. if iut is not re-tighten it. If it keeps coming loose, check the threads in the end of the magazine tube, and on the bolt that goes into the tube. If they are damaged, the bolt and the barrel can work loose as you shoot.
    3. try a stable rest.
    4. make sure you are using rifled slugs.
    5 .if it is new enough to have choke tubes, try a different choke. A full choke deforms slugs the most out of the available choke sizes. This will lead to larger groups.
    6. Dry firing. Make sure the shotgun is unloaded, cycle it and SQUEEZE the trigger. Don't pull it, mash it straight back, slam it home, squeeze it. When the gun goes click (or bang when loaded), It should surprise you. Don't worry about breaking the shotgun by dry-firing it, you won't damage the firing pin being that it is a centerfire. ry-firing is your best friend, and it is free.

If none of the above works, take a friend with you the next time you go to the range. have them load on round at a time, put the safety on, have you turn around to receive the shotgun, then you fire it. The catch? You will tell them to just close the action when they feel like doing so, without telling you. This will help to determine if it is you or your shotgun that is causing the erratic groups. If it is you, while you partner is watching you as you fire the gun, thet will se you pull or push the gun up down left or right as you shoot. This movement is made more obvious when all that is heard is a click instead of a bang. If you are the cause of the problem, i would suggest starting with a smaller gauge or caliber, then working you way back up to your 12 gauge.

Hope this helps.

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

It is very difficult to shoot good groups with only a bead. If he hit the paper every time he is doing Ok. Imagine shooting a rifle with only a broken front sight. The OP is doing just that by shooting slugs with a field barrel. There isn't enough practice in the world to do much better than hitting a beer flat every time at 75 yards.

I use slugs in my SD shotgun. Most of the time SD is a close range affair. I use one slug every third shot in the SD gun. If the Lord is willing I will never find out how well that set up works. I have never shot another human being and I am doing my part to keep it that way.

13. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

That is a very difficult task, I know this from experience. I used to use a Maverick 88 with a 28 inch full choke field barrel as my deer gun. There is a reason why my current slug gun, a Mossberg 185-d, has a redding adjustable peep sight added to the receiver. Running a front bead only, you just need to know how to use Kentucky Windage, and what slugs work best in your gun. that just increases you chances of hitting a pie plate at 50 yards, nothing more, nothing less.

All of my suggestions were meant to do one thing. Help the OP achieve consistency. If he can eliminate most of the variables, he may find that the shotgun is shooting 5 inches high and 2 inches left at 30 yards with brand Y rifled slugs, and it is shooting 2 high and dead on with brand X. My list of things to try was just to help eliminate some of the possible causes of the problem he described in his OP.

In hindsight, maybe we need to find out what the size of his groups were. At 30 yards, as long as they were within 3 inches he would still be hitting well within minute of deer.

14. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Minute of Pie Plate at 50 yards with a smooth bore & slugs will work for deer. Outside pie plate range, let 'em walk.