$500 and an about 20x scope

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by bgeddes, Jun 4, 2010.

1. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

I need a better scope. Rifle is a varmint, target, paper puncher, and accuracy is paramount.

With a budget of about $500, and a few requirements, 20x, give or take, and an adjustable objective.

Thinking of a Leupold VX-II 6-18x, Nikon Monarchs 5-20x, Weaver T-series, etc.

Is there a scope I have overlooked? I've Googled this to hell and back and still think there may be a hidden gem out there.

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

For $500 you can get a Nikon Monarch 6-24x50mm on ebay. I know people don't like ebay a whole lot but hey. I would stay far far far away from Leupold VX-II line. The 6-18x40mm I had what junk pure and simple then when told it was not right they refused to fix it. Said 3 to 4" of eye relief change was normal for that scope.

I prefer Nikon over all others. Also look at Bushnells elite 3200 and 4200 scopes.

Prices have went up
    nikon monarch 6-24x50mm items - Get great deals on Sporting Goods items on eBay.com!

Nikon 5-20x44 Monarch Riflescope DEMO-B

I have this one on my AR-15
    Nikon 6-24x50 Monarch Rifle Scope DEMO-B

Nikon 8-32x50 Monarch Riflescope DEMO-B

Bushnell 8-32x40 Elite 4200 DEMO-B

I have this on my 308.
    Bushnell 6-24x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope DEMO-C

Weaver 36x40 T-Series Rifle Scope DEMO-B

Pentax 6-24x44 Lightseeker DEMO-B

Burris 8-32x44 Signature Select Rifle Scope DEMO-B

3. jonhunter

jonhunter New Member

can't go wrong with a nikon scope. they come with good warranty plans too

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  5. cmhill

cmhill New Member

We have quit carrying the nikon scopes in our store as our distributor no longer carries them as they were informed Nikon is on the verge of bankruptcy, if that is true i would avoid one as the warranty will be worth zilch if your have trouble

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Please post a link to this information. as I own plenty of nikons and may have to get rid of all of them if this is happening.

The only thing I see is that Nikon is buying a European 3d software company and they are leaving the film camera business all together.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Well, THAT would suck....especially if the camera division is included.

8. cmhill

cmhill New Member

I cant confirm nor deny it, its just what i was told by our sales rep, i do however know that they have had difficulties financially over the past year or so due to circuit city and ritz as they both filed bankruptcy and owed nikon apppx 40 million.

9. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Really yet Nikon is in the midsts of a rather spendy buy out of Mertis software.

Nikon Metrology - Camio CMM multi-sensor metrology software

Please don't state RUMOR as FACT. Looks like the vendor is a douche bag maybe you should get a new one?

Metris makes the software for all them nifty measuring robots you see on the Science how it is made tv shows. This is a good fit seeing as commercial technology and medical equipment is where Nikon makes most of its money.

$40 million I bet Nikon tosses that much at the R&D department in a few weeks or a month.

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Right, I would think that $40 million would be chump-change for Nikon.

12. cmhill

cmhill New Member

I never stated it as a fact i only said that that is what I was told.

13. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

That's the problem with hear-say information. I tend to always check behind things like that. Sometimes people like the sales rep get burned once or twice and they stop carrying them for personal reasons. At least that's the way our local gunshop works.
    I know I refuse to buy any Osprey products because of all the defective products I've seen. But the company still tends to do ok from what I've been seeing at gunshows and shops.

14. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I can't see Nikon going anywhere. As optics of any kind go they have been at it a long time and do a pretty good job. I like Bushnell too. I've had horrible luck with Simmons stuff being really cloudy but I have picked up a rifle and a revolver that both come with Simmons stuff on them and they are pretty good. Maybe it was bad luck on my part before or they got better maybe?

I know people that swear by Leupold and I have one on a 22 pistol and it's great. But he couple I've got to use that were on long guns shooting across some long real estate I didn't care much for. If it was me looking for some new glass I'd more than likely look at Nikon or Bushnell. The latter being a personal fav.

15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Simmons got better when Mead Optics picked up the brand about 10 or 15 years ago. Mead makes good glass for telescopes and microscopes. They are not in the Nikon or ziess quality for medical optics but they are good.

16. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

I have a Simmons Deerfield 3-9x30mm scope I was given by my father and its been in the family for about 20 years now and its seals are just now starting to deteriorate and make the scope foggy. When I called Simmons about it they said it was discontinued and said if I mentioned my scope they'd give me 40% off my next scope from them due to the lifetime warrenty on the Deerfield scope. From what I can tell their customer service is really friendly.

17. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

Google WOTAC......check them out. The customer service and no BS lifetime warranty is second to none. Go to snipershide.com for detailed reviews in the Optics forum.

I have two Nikon Prostaff on my AR and remy 700 .223's. Outstanding glass......

However right now I am running a Chinese NC Star budget 6 X 24 X 50 on my new Remy 700 SPS in .308 - I am saving for some premium Tac glass....but, I've tried to kill this scope, and it just won't die.

Now, before the war starts, I'M not recommending that my set up is superior to anyone else's! Just stating some facts. I need time to save up the cash for this build, but right now, I'm doing pretty good with cheap ammo and a $70.00 scope...that's all - just something to think about....

Here is my group @ 100, using Russian steel case doo doo ammo, and the "worst" scope in the world (so say the "guru's") :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

:D that's pretty good, that's all AK's were made to run originally so if a Remmie is doing that well it just shows how far we've come since 1949.

19. ronl

ronl New Member

I have one of the Viper 6.5-20x44's and the thing is excellent. Optics Planet is selling them now for $399. The 50mm model is now $419, and shipping on them is free. Can't beat that. Add that to Vortex's VIP warranty and it is a great deal.