$50 for water.

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Caoimhin, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Caoimhin

Caoimhin New Member

I have just $50 to buy a water filter. I have 50 gallons in garage of drinking water and 40 in the RV. I have another 50 gal for cleaning and flushing the toilet. I live 7 miles and a thousand feet above the river which is nearest water source. The water treatment plant is that far also so I am not worried about flushing.7 miles of down hill pipe. What would be my best bet for cleaning the river water? I have plenty of bleach and shock on hand. I can't afford a Berky at this time and feel like I better do something now. What is my best bet with $50?

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

3. bkt

bkt New Member

These look really wonderful and inexpensive. Is it difficult to get a good seal on the filter holes? Having contaminated water leak is the only real concern with this.

4. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

Well, if you don't absolutely have to have it immediately, wait and save a few more bucks. You get what you pay for. Something as important as clean drinking water, don't skimp on that. I bought the top of the line Berkley water purifier for when I absolutely need it. Berkley has a long history of excellence. Just my opinion.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I looked at the Big Berkey and unbelievably, they can't be imported into Kalifornia. :rolleyes:

So I looked for alternatives and bought two of these. They cost me twenty five bucks apiece when I bought them. They're up to twenty seven and some change right now.

A Practical, Life-Sustaining Water Filter | Monolithic

6. Caoimhin

Caoimhin New Member

CA, do you use 2 filters in your bucket or just 1 at a time? The Ready place seems the same as Monolithic and the bag from CTD looks good too. I still plan to save up for a big berkey but want to have coverage ASAP. Then I will have the Berkey at home and the other in the RV.

7. bkt

bkt New Member

Got a Berkey in the kitchen. It's awesome. But in the interest of setting up several filters these might be a great option.

8. bkt

bkt New Member

Figures. You can't have truly clean, healthy water in California.

Seriously, why have your state assclowns banned importing a proven water filtration system?

9. oldshooter

oldshooter New Member

because "Ve Vill take Care of you"

10. Caoimhin

Caoimhin New Member

Thanks, I just printed that out and added to my survival binder.
    1 more question anybody, If I use the Berky or the ceramic filters in a bag or bucket, do I still need to boil or add bleach? When it was me Close enough was fine. Now with a wife, 5yr old son and baby daughter due in Nov. I want to be damm sure I'm %100 right on target and not just close enough. Thanks

11. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

I've noticed a bunch of things I have ordered excludes California. Evidently, they have regulated themselves into a corner. No wonder CA is about bankrupt.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011