50 caliber muzzle loader

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by jonathan7126, Mar 15, 2011.

1. jonathan7126

jonathan7126 New Member

what do yall think of the 50 cal muzzleloader shot my first 50 cal 2 day and i loved it.....but what do you all think ?

2. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

We own two of them, and i love them both. An absolute blast to shoot, but can be a pain to clean. Both disassemble easily and very accurate.

3. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

I have two .54 one in flint and one in perc.I love shooting and hunting with both.
    F.K.

4. bullet

bullet New Member

I love my .50 caliber Knight Elite but I also have three traditional .50 calibers and I like them also.

5. jonathan7126

jonathan7126 New Member

i actually wanted 2 get another one but i dint know what kind 2 buy i love shooting it be cause of the kick it has i was thinking of going more power im shooting 100/150 grains and shot 250 once.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

With a muzzleloader. shooting black powder or a BP subsititute, it will use what it can. The slow burning rate causes excess powder to blow out the end of the barrel (called wasting money). With a .50 cal maxi ball, the most ACCURATE load seems to run just shy of 100 grains. I shoot a traditional style sidelock percussion Hawken.

7. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Either you're shooting an inline or using a petroleum based lube. My blueprinted .54 Hawken and my P53 Enfield clean up easier and faster than smokeless.

8. lukeisme

lukeisme New Member

We hunt with and shoot all the time two 50 cal inlines. Ones a traditions and the other a CVA. Both are accurate and not that bad to clean. I use pelitized and granulated powder both. I cast and lube my own bullets (lee 240 gr REAL). I found that with the lube that I make cleaning takes about 15 minutes each. Most of that is just trying to find the correct wrenches to take the nipple plugs out. They are some of the best investents as far a firearms go that I have ever made. :)

9. jonathan7126

jonathan7126 New Member

i love shooting the muzzle loader and yes it is a bit expensive for the powder about 15 dollars bullets about 20 dollars (clearance at walmart is 10 dollars) im going to try and shoot every weekend im not that bad of a shot here in rochester minnesota i go 2 the local gun club and shoot about 150 yards with a scope got 2 shots right in the middle the rest close too it just around the bulls eye shot about roughly 15 shots missed 2 times my brother n law said i missed be cause the scope was off a little too the left.

10. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

[​IMG]

Hawg is right on. The rifle has a 44" swamped Rice, Chambers Flint Lock and Chambers vent. The pistol has a Rayle barrel Syler, lock and Chambers vent. These .54 will clean faster shooting black than I can clean a smokeless. The rifle is a Steve Zhin th pistol is a 40 year old Jack Garner.:)

DK

11. Walley

Walley New Member

I own several front loaders and enjoy using them. I mostly shoot the 50 calibers, both side lock and in-line, for both targets and hunting. We live in a shotgun only area but we can use black powder during the regular season so I have taken to using a scope mounted in-line for the added range. No scopes during the muzzle loading season. As far as cleaning the guns I don't feel that it is that big of a job. I only use Pryodex RS granular and it cleans easily.

12. jonathan7126

jonathan7126 New Member

im new to the hole shooting scene andjust moved to Rochester mn so im just now learning how everything works those guns are nice specially the smaller of the two would not mind trying both im trying to try all types see what ones i like better.

13. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Beautiful guns Durango. Steve is a master craftsman. Mine's no Steve Zhin but it didn't cost as much as one either.:D

[​IMG]

14. jonathan7126

jonathan7126 New Member

lol dont matter if the gun is a beauty or if its butt ugly like a troll as long as its reliable when u need it thats all that matters lol

15. orangello

orangello New Member

Based solely upon this statement, have you tried an SKS yet? I love mine. It sounds like one might suit you well. :D

16. jonathan7126

jonathan7126 New Member

no lol i have not id love to shoot one tho i know sks is ugly ass gun but id still love it all the same lol

17. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Hmmm, so you're saying my rifle is butt ugly?:p Well next to the Zhin I guess it is.:D

18. cuate

cuate New Member

Good Old 50s

My first was a Thompson Center Hawken 50, later a couple more, one for me and one for my Son...Trading and swapping I found I was out of 50s so ordered a Thompson Center look alike, some other brand. They sent me a .58 caliber and I started to send it back but remembered that I had some minie balls and bullet molds for .58.....Went out and shot that rascal...Wow ! I won't trade or sell that one so I can shoot either Minies or round patched balls...

I killed my first deer with the TC Hawken .50, round patched ball. May drag that old thing out of the safe and pop some caps at something....

19. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Wrong place, go to C&R

20. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Hawg I have known Steve a very long time. He lives 300 miles from me up near the Crow Rez on the Wind River. He has a little ranch behind a dusty butte in Hidden Valley. It takes a four wheel drive to get into his place year around. I go up and visit with him a couple times a year. We sorta deal out on things from time to time. You know what I am saying;) This rifle was based on one of my ancestors rifles who served under Andy Jackson in the Tenn. Militia. I will post some pics of the butt stock. Your Hawkens is a fine looking periode rifle. The Hawkens is always in style.:)