50 cal carbine

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by blitzen25cat, Mar 23, 2011.

1. blitzen25cat

blitzen25cat New Member

Need help in finding bullets for loading ammo. I am looking for 400 gr. cast. I have several rounds for this rifle which is chambered for 50/45. The ammo that I have was made from cut down 50/70 bell cases. I have never loaded black powder but do load smokeless. Does anyone have any info on a load for this rifle. The rifle is a remington rolling block saddle ring carbine in 50/70 caliber. I just never got into black powder reloading.

2. blitzen25cat

blitzen25cat New Member

The rifle is chambered for 50/45 not 50/70 as in original post. My bad :eek:

3. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Black powder has to be compressed. There must be no air space between powder and bullet. Load the case to 1/16 of the mouth and seat your bullet. If you want a lighter load seat the bullet deeper or use a filler like cornmeal. With bp do not use bullets lubed with smokeless lube or use any petroleum based lubes in the bore.

4. blitzen25cat

blitzen25cat New Member

Thanks Hawg. I have shot a muzzle loader and bp pistols in the past and have some pyrodex that's at least 10 years old. Would it still be good to go? Any idea how long it will last? I really appreciate the knowledge aquired on this site. Thanks again for your help.

5. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

If it's still sealed it's fine. If it's been opened but kept in a dry atmosphere it's still fine.