.50 Beowulf experience, anyone have some?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by springfieldm1903, Aug 9, 2011.

1. springfieldm1903

springfieldm1903 New Member

im interested in getting a .50 beowulf upper and i was wondering if anyone had any information about it maybe experience, i want to know the recoil of it and applications in hunting.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

i went 458 socom. the problems i had with the 450 bushmaster and 50 beowulf is they use pistol bullets with a small range of choices none of which are particularly designed for hunting. need to modify mags to make the 450 and 50 work.

any of the big AR rounds you really need to reload to get the most out of them.

they are all in the same general power level and felt recoil of my socom is about that of a 20ga shotgun.

3. wjkuleck

wjkuleck Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I concur with Jon, including the felt recoil.

Regards,

Walt

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Can your Beowulf do this?

[​IMG]

The 458SOCOM.

5. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

+2 for the 458 SOCOM. :cool:

6. Gloves

Gloves New Member

~Now you done got me started ~

A few months ago I was asking the same question. They (members)
    ended up talking me into the .458 socom upper by RRA. It's not without
    it's faults. See my link below.

I just finished my 3rd and first successful range expedition to sight in my
    scope on the .458 Socom.

The uppers both cost about the same.
    The rounds cost roughly the same.

My problems with the .458 socom
    - One of the bullet manufactures made a bullet too fat to fit into the barrel.
    - When trying to sight in my first scope:
    * the kick of the round, caused the crosshairs to drift,
    * the scope mount to break,
    * the lenses inside the scope to chip
    * and finally the cross hairs to snap! (please look out for this when choosing your scope)
    - Also the feed ramp (don't know what it's called in the AR) doesn't feed well on the hollow-points i bought and puts scratches on all rounds (JSPs). Will need to file down. 1 in 5 are FTFs

Must see to avoid the mistakes i made

The Kick: I shot 30 rounds on Sunday and have a significant bruise and
    I don't bruise easily. That many rounds makes you feel like you tenderized
    your upper pectoralis major with a 24 oz drywall hammer.

(I have shot 1oz slugs from a Mossberg in great quantities and had no
    problem at all)

Now that I think about it, it kicks like a mule.

7. Gloves

Gloves New Member

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  8. JonM

JonM Moderator

Your doing something wrong in your stock to shoulder weld. From the location of that bruise your letting the point of the stock rest too high up or too low.

The socom works best using usgi mags. Almost all feed issues are mag related. Pmags arent so great for it.

I make my own socom ammo so i cant comment on factory ammo. Ive never fired a single factory round through mine.

Cheap scope on either the 450 50 or 458 are liekly to experience failure. Cheap scope is not the way to go on this rifle. My socom even batters the nikon african monarch to bits.

9. Gloves

Gloves New Member

I was thinking that same thing, but this is the first time using this scope on an AR (will post pictures later), I was trying to get a good feel on my cheek that I could consistently do while getting a full picture through the lenses. (i got a big head, might need to raise the scope even higher to get the buttstock lower?

I'll have to check out those USGI mags because the 10-round ones that came with the spikes tactical do suck. The top of the mag that holds the first round in place sucks and scrapes the shells. But i also think some of it could be that feed ramp. it's quite sharp and very machine cut. No filing or ramping type shape to it. the hollow points have a wide edge on the front that catches on the bottom of the ramp. (bullets shown in previous link)

Another thing I would like was a 20" barrel for the .458. This is going to be used for hunting and a 16" isn't necessary.

All in all, i would like to see him get the Beowulf so i can compare his experience to mine. :)

It's it's freakin' amazing and puts the .458 to shame, i might have to get another upper!!!

10. theboarbuster

theboarbuster New Member

I have owned my RRA 458 SOCOM for nearly three years. My RRA upper had many problems none of which are the 458 Socoms round fault. There are a lot of people who have had problems with their RRA uppers. Mine had a tight chamber that was very rough. It had parkerizing or some kind of black gunk in it. It took a lot of hand lapping with flitz to clean that up. My bolt was assembled incorectly. I also installed an adjustable gas tube which made the gun run smoother.
    As far as mags go, not all mags are created equal. The feed lips can be adjusted to get the correct angle.
    As far as ammo goes, I have had some issues with Corbons 405 gr. load. With a tight/dirty RRA chamber and and a slightly out of spec round you will have issues. I would get one of Marty's case sizing gages and check your ammo and if it out of spec contact the manufacturer.
    The Socom has recoil comparable to a 20 gauge, cheap scopes wont work.
    I have had a Vortex Strike Fire red dot and a Millet DM1 on mine without a problem.
    I have killed over 200 hogs with my 458 and it is one of the best rounds ever designed for the AR platform. I bought 2 of the RRA uppers one was good to go the other one sucked. I have fixed the bad one and it now runs perfectly. It is my favorite gun.

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Gloves, you need to get your gun sorted out. I have put more rounds downrange than I care to talk about and the only issue I had was with one batch of SBR 300 GR JSP. Several FTFs and after muscling through that $50 box the problem disappeared.

Jon's right, this rifle does not have a recoil problem. I can shoot this gun until my wallet hurts but never my shoulder. Be sure you have a good stock/shoulder weld before you pull the loud switch. Sounds like you need a scope mount that will put the eye relief where it should be.

Burris AR-P.E.P.R. Mount.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Get yourself some of this, SBR Ammunition 458 SOCOM 350 Grain Full Metal Jacket Moly.

SBR Ammunition 458 SOCOM 350 Grain Full Metal Jacket Moly Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

Shoot a couple of boxes and I'll bet you'll find it's a different gun.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

i concur with Cane's reply on the scope mount. another option is an adjustable stock with adjustable cheek rest.

no idea where spikes gets theirs so i cant comment on their quality. my rra 458 is very well made high quality ramp polish etc.

actually anything past 16 is un-needed in a 458 due to the powder burn rates. 4 inches more at 20 would actually start degrading performance.

i agree see above

13. Gloves

Gloves New Member

Here is a picture of my .458 Socom upper with Nikon 1.65-5 x 35 scope.

[​IMG]

The Nikon Scope has 5" of eye relief. So with the stock fully extended i
    think it's good. It also seems the back lens is about the same distance as
    Cane's however the height on his seems taller. That's a better idea. I
    might want to look into his mount.

ALTHOUGH, i'm fed-up with making adjustments for a while. The damn
    thing shoots straight (enough) and my pecks are still getting over the trauma. :p

I don't remember if i posted the picture of my upper with the OD paint on
    the forgrip. I used the brownells paint can and masked it off. their OD is
    quite close to the Magpull OD, a few people (in person) thought the upper
    came that way.

Range report for Nikon sight-in with the Cor-bon 300 grain solid copper HP
    [​IMG]

PS, the .458 rounds - besides breaking the previous (cheap) scope, this
    time around i found the pin that holds the dust cover in place, nearly slid all
    the way out! The round is powerful.

14. Wambli

Wambli Member

One of my good friends has a .50 Beowulf and he loves it. He uses it for hogs in Alabama with great results. I have fired the gun and the recoil is about the same (maybe a little less) as a 12 ga semi-auto shotgun. More a push than anything else and very easy to control. Decidedly less than what I was expectiong. I'm tempted to get one myself just because it was fun accurate, reliable and just different.

15. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

they make a .50cal bmg upper for the ar15
    soon what ill be building;)