.50 Beowulf anyone?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by 20VarTarg, Jan 17, 2012.

1. 20VarTarg

20VarTarg New Member

This new caliber from Alexander Arms haunts me. I want, no, i need a .50 Beowulf upper!

Was wondering if i was alone to find it attractive?

VarTarg

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

I seem to recall that 458 socom seems a bit more popular. It's not all that new though, I think it's at least 10 years old. But I think it's cool as hell too.

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Before I got the 458 SOCOM,I spent a long time researching every aspect of the 450 Bushmaster,458 SOCOM,and the 50 Beowulf big bore AR15 calibers.

The 458 is the only one that uses rifle bullets,and there is a very big selection of them to choose from in the .458 caliber.
    The 450 Bushy & 50 Beowulf shoot pistol bullets which don't have the Ballistic Coefficient's of a rifle bullet,which will affect the effective range of the bullets. Although,all of them are very good out to 200 yrds,which is about all your going to be launching with these calibers.

If you don't handload your own ammo,any of these calibers will get very expensive to shoot with factory ammo,and it is also very hard to find any.
    I don't know what kind of load data is available for the 450 or 50,but there really isn't that much out there for the 458,so you just have to fly by the seat of your pants,and experiment on different loads.It is very time consuming,and can get expensive trying to figure out just the right combo of powder/bullet/COAL,but once you do,they sure will shoot good.

There are a lot of people that have these calibers,and you can get some good info on the net if you look hard enough for it.

[​IMG]

4. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Here is a dumb question do you use the lower from an AR 15 or an AR 10 cause I mite get one am I am just asking

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

The uppers work only with standard ar15 lowers. Not compatable with the ar10 format

6. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Agreed, the .50 beowulf cartridge and the 5.56 mm cartridge are very close or the same in length so you're ar15 would be compatible. You'd simply go from a double stack 5.56 mag to a single stack .50 mag, at least ive heard its single stack

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've heard they go into a 5.56 magazine. True or not?

8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

The 458 SOCOM uses standard AR magazines,a 20rd mag holds 7/458's and a 30rd holds 10.I think the 50 Beowulf also uses standard mag's,but I'm not positive about the 450 Bushmaster.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  9. JonM

JonM Moderator

The 450 and 50 use modified ar15 mags. I think its the feed lips that need modding. Its one of the reasons i went with the 458socom.

10. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Hey thank you cause I would love to get a 458 socom and now I can and all I needs is the upper

11. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

12. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

The 450 Bushmaster needs a different follower, I'm not sure about the 50B. If it matters to you, both the 458 and 50 are way more expensive to feed and ammo is more scarce than the 450 BM.

13. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I would love to have a 458 socom, but i wouldnt be able to afford to shoot it very often

14. 20VarTarg

20VarTarg New Member

i supose the cost of reloading is budget friendly compared to say the factory offerings. Also much easier to get the ammo you need in a timely fashion

15. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

Yes, for sure. I reload for almost every gun I own. If you own any of these big bores and you want to shoot them much at all, reloading is the way to go.

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Here's some info on the 458SOCOM;

The Build Time Has Come!

17. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Thank you canebrake that info you sent was very helpful. It's not that I don't know any thing about the AR platform , I am just getting back into them after a couple of years and I don't buy all the gun magazines. I buy more hunting magazines. But thanks again for all the info

18. 20VarTarg

20VarTarg New Member

Darn, if i could i'd have both the Beowulf AND the Socom just for variety sake. I certainly understand those in the service who "need" those to rid the world of the terrorists, anarchists and assorted a-holes in the sandbox or otherwise.

While i've been in the army i'm not anymore so i cannot honnestly claim a realistic tactical need for those heavier AR calibers. It would merely be a playthang these days!

VarTarg