50 AE

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by F4U, Oct 1, 2017.

1. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Just curious if any of you guys load 50 AE. My shooting buddys son just bought one and ammo locally is something like $2 around. I told him he could use my press if he bought the dies and shell carrier. The best I found for bullets was about .50 cents plus powder and primers, my inherent laziness has kicked in and I haven't looked up the powder requirements and done the math on cost yet. Just looking for a ballpark figure here.

Thanks.

Dallas53 likes this.
  2. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

this should help give an idea of the costs of reloading the 50AE.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

just plug in the required figures, and it will calculate the costs.

here is some reloading data showing approximate powder charges to use for the figures in the calculator.

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=50 AE&Weight=All&type=Handgun&Source=

and once you have a brass supply built up, either by buying brass or buying factory ammo to shoot and save the brass for reloading, the ammo costs to reload will go down by quite a bit.

JRDallas likes this.

3. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks Dallas, been away from reloading for a while and was too lazy to dig out my old books to do the calculations. Back when I was reloading it was paper and pencil calculations!

Back then AA trap loads cost about $5.00 a box and I was reloading for about $2.25 a box, and getting very similar performance. Of course I was shooting trap 2 or 3 times a week then too! I never calculated the costs on .38/.357 reloads, but that old .357 Blackhawk was almost a tack driver with the right loads.

Dallas53 likes this.
  4. stingsdontit

stingsdontit New Member

You should download the ammoseek app to your phone. It makes finding these components pretty easy.

It shows me I can buy bullets for 16 to 21 cents each.

I use 3.5 cents each for all normal primers (everything except benchrest stuff) since I can find CCI local for about $35 per 1,000.

I use an average of $25 per pound for powder. Since there are 7,000 grains in every pound, 1 cent covers about 3 grains of powder. Just divide your load charge by 3 and you will have the powder cost. Looks like load data for 50ae runs 30 to 33 grains of H110 so let's use 11 cents for powder.

If you save your brass, there's really no cost but new starline runs about 35 cents each when you buy 1,000.

Putting it all together from the top:
    .21 bullet
    .11 powder
    .35 brass
    .035 primer
    So you end up at 70 or 71 cents depending on how you round. $2.00 new local price means you save $1.30 per round. The first box of 50 you saved enough to pay for your die set, at 250 rounds loaded you have saved enough to pay for a complete reloading setup.

Kobs likes this.
  5. Dallas53

or he could use the very simple handloading calculator i linked in my post. :rolleyes:

JRDallas likes this.
  6. stingsdontit

stingsdontit New Member

Where's your sense of adventure?

MisterMcCool likes this.
  7. Dallas53

in trying to be more accurate.

also when i'm trying to help someone, i like them to have the most accurate information possible. i don't like guesswork. that is for amateurs.

JRDallas likes this.
  8. stingsdontit

stingsdontit New Member

So... I was just going to ignore you but since there really wasn't any guesswork in my post, I figure something else has you all butt hurt that I tried to help. This being my first attempt to contribute to this board please help me understand how I offended you.

Is it that you know everything and feel no one else should even try to add anything once you have stepped in? Maybe is it that I actually offered real data and just didn't point to another site away from this one? Or do you own the link you are promoting and it's less useful than you think it is? (It's baseline data isn't even remotely close)

9. Dallas53

trust me, i'm not butt hurt or offended in the least!

umm...when you use words like "average" and "about" and "round off", just exactly how accurate are your figures? not so much that i can see.

the handloading calculator allows me to enter exact costs and actual powder charge figures and come out with an exact cost of the ammo. again, not guessing on my part. you weren't offering "real data" that i could see, just guessing at costs. Google handloading calculator and see how many pop up for your information. and no, it's not mine, and not promoting it. just one of several i have saved to my favorites on computer.

JRDallas likes this.
  10. stingsdontit

stingsdontit New Member

Here, let me remind you of the OPs actual question

Just looking for a ballpark figure here.

You are right... Averages are totally not called for in this case

11. Kobs

Kobs Member

I agree with who ever said it's cheaper to reload. Specially when you get into large cartridges but like probably explained already if you buy your components in bulk, it'll be a little cheaper (8 pound jug of powder)

Dallas53 and stingsdontit like this.
  12. Dallas53

in most instances, the larger the quantities of product you buy, the cheaper per piece price of those items. this is true of reloading components.

if you can afford an 8 lb. jug instead of hte 1 lb. jug, it's cheaper in the long run. if you do a lot of shooting, buying a 1000 bullets is cheaper than buying them by the 100 count box.

this further drives down the cost of your reloads even more.

JRDallas likes this.