5 gallon bucket S.I.P. Kit

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by spack762, Jan 8, 2014.

1. spack762

spack762 New Member

Hello my fellow people. I have had an idea form in my head. With what has been happening this winter back East, I have had the idea to make a 5 gal bucket kit. Now this kit is to be stored off site, let's say my brothers place. I want a kit at another location encase I have to leave my home and take my B.O.B. and head to my brothers place. Or if I can't get my B.O.B. I want something there that I can use so I won't be a total drain on my brothers family.

With that being said I would like some ideas on what to store and how. I would like to fit in a 5 gal bucket with a lid for easy storage. And have supplies to last about a week. Food, water, sanitation, and the like.

I have some ideas, but wanted to see who else has some great ideas or has something like it in place. Thanks!

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Drywall joint compound buckets have a plastic lid. You will have a hard time putting EVERYTHING in that bucket if you include water. But you can put about a week of dried/ freeze dried food in there for 2 folks. Canned food is easier to prepare, takes more room.

3. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yeah, it'd be hard to imagine fitting a whole weeks worth of stuff in a 5 gal bucket. Keep in mind that the only thing a cylinder can store efficiently is things that change shape. (Like bulk beans, poured into the bucket). Square stuff, or things that don't change shape will leave a lot of voids in there. Even putting in round soup cans would be way inefficient.

4. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

What ever you choose to include in your bucket should be calorie dense and not full of liquid. Rehydration is easy in most environments. Include either water purification tabs and/or a folding micro backpack stove and fuel to purify water. Don't forget a can opener!

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a bucket I have had for years. My wife mentioned it to me at the grocery store last night. We have dried beans and rice along with a few other things that are in bags. There is other stuff in there too. But I honestly don't remember what. We have been saving food stuff like that since before Y2K. It is different food. No...we haven't been saving the same beans and rice for 14 years. But it has been in there for about 3 or 4 years. Beans and rice may not be steak and potatoes. But it sure beats nothing. It will keep the stomach full. There is probably a bag of flour and stuff to make tortillas too.

6. Jesse80

Jesse80 New Member

Like te other guys have mentioned a 5 gallon bucket doesn't give you a lot if room, but for one week and givin' you have shelter and clothing at your brothers.
    I would say power bars.... Peanut butter... Couple boxes of spaghetti... Some hard candies... 5 lbs salt... Sawyer squeeze water filter... Appropriate ammo.... Sheath knife... SD card with pictures of all your important documents; (s.s. card, birth cert, marriage cert, passport,... ect.)

That should give you some of the things I think of ....

7. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yeah, and your pants inflated!:D

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Laundry soap comes in rectangular buckets with lids.

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Rice, beans, peas, flour, corn meal, sugar, Bisquick, pancake mix, powdered milk, Spam, Sardines, Vienna sausage... and dozens more items.... these all keep well in a sealed container and don't take up much space. Don't cost as much as freeze dried or MREs either.

Every hospital, restaurant, old folks home, etc. throws away several of these buckets per week. Ask an employee to save you a dozen and you're set.

10. spack762

spack762 New Member

Awesome insights! Thanks, given time I will toss some pictures and stuff together.

11. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter