5.56x45 mm

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by tderrick, May 1, 2012.

1. tderrick

tderrick New Member

I understand that the 5.56mm round isn't the best bullet to use on hogs, but can it kill hogs? If so, what is the best brand to buy?

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Heavy weight soft point

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Tderrick,

I use Winchester 64 gr. Power Point ammunition in my AR Rifle and Federal Premium P-223E 55 grain Hollow Point in my Savage Predator Bolt Rifle. It is a Sierra Jacketed Hollow Point and very accurate with some punch. It also works well in both rifles. Always best to shoot pigs right behind the ear!!!

4. tderrick

tderrick New Member

Thanks for advice. About to start hunting in hogmania, Texas.

5. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

The 5.56/.223 will kill a hog. Anything from a 55gr hp to a 75gr jbt will do the job. Me and my buddies just buy any softpoint we can find and kill 'em just fine.

Hell, before I got my AR all I used was a .22lr. Anything from a .22 too a .300 will kill 'em if you hit them in the ribs or head.

6. Fixer

Fixer New Member

The 5.56 will rip a hog apart just as well and possibly better than a 7.62x39. I'd go with a high end round like Black Hills MK262 Mod 1. Don't cheap out.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGC1tjHCSVE&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  7. barneygoogle

barneygoogle New Member

I haven't hunted hogs in 20 years, but we used to kill them with a 22 mag. I'm not saying you might not have to climb a tree sometimes, but I was young and didn't know any better back then. I used to hunt with a bud that owned a slaughter house and that's what he used on cows and hogs. I'm not even sure if it's legal anymore or ever was.