5.56 practice ammo?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by sgthooah04, Nov 21, 2013.

1. sgthooah04

sgthooah04 New Member

I don't know if this is the proper place for this thread but here goes.
    A few years ago I bought a 500 Rd brick of practice/training ammo along with 100 Rd of "tap" ammo I think they were from Hornady but I can remember. The practice ammo was steel cased and Berdan primed. They came in 50 Rd boxes. And they had the same ballistics as the tap ammo I had. I have been looking around and cant even find a whisper about any kind of training ammo let alone this type/brand. Does anyone know what kind of ammo this was or the manufacturer. I would love to find this ammo again it was great stuff for more then just trainning. I know it's probably a pipe dream but any help would be appreciated

2. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Post a picture with the head stamps and the packaging. 9 out if 10 it's imported from the former USSR

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Hornady imports primed cases and loads them here. Called Steel Match ammo

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

What I consider plinking/range/practice ammo, is any 50-70gr FMJ that I can get my hands on for around 40cents per round. That's for brass. I consider that to be sort of the vanilla price. Sometimes you can do better.

If you're willing to shoot non-brass Russian (I am in some cases), you might pay 30% less.

If you want to spend less still, you're going to have to begin investing in a reloading regimen that will eventually pay dividends over the long haul. And then you may have to buy your components in bulk to reap the full benefits. Without a good strategy that includes buying/shooting in bulk, 223/5.56 reloading (in order to save money) can be tricky.

I get my ammo all over the place. Much of it online...also from local sources, including Walmart (don't think I've bought anything there in nearly a year, however).

5. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

Yeah, since all this ammo nonsense started a couple of years ago, I find Tula to be the perfect "backyard" ammo for me. Times have changed.

6. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

+1 same here

7. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

Although it is more economical to train with lower grain ammo, it will benefit you to also train with the ammo you intend on protecting your self with. I generally shoot 55 grain in my 1:7, but still train and sight in when I'm done with 75+ grain. It's not cheap but there is a bit of difference. It is more noticeable with handguns, but still a good practice to get in to with AR's. I know at 500 meters there is a work of difference.