5.56 or .223 ?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Westy, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Westy

Westy New Member

Quick question- I've heard it's not a good practice to shoot 5.56 ammo in a .223 AR because the 5.56 is supposedly loaded hotter and the brass might be a tad thicker. Just curious if this relates to the upper or the lower. I'm guessing it's the upper with the chamber but wanted to confirm.

The reason I ask is I can get a great deal on 500 rounds of 5.56 Nato 55 grain FMJBT American Eagle tactical ammunition but didn't want to mess with it if it may be a problem. All my AR's are newer except for a pre-ban EEA with a Martin Marietta upper. I could check all my barrels for stamp marks but didn't want the hassle if you folks could give me your thoughts.

Thanks!

2. jwhirl413

jwhirl413 New Member

I assume its the upper that would have the problem. My AR has 223/5.56 on the lower reciever, but on the barrel it specifies 223.

3. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

5.56 have a deeper throat to compensate for the higher barrel pressures, reducing the chamber erosion. Typically referred to as a "Wylde" chamber. It is said that newer .223 chambers designated as match chambers will handle 5.56 but it is not really recommended.

5.56 brass is thicker, usually having .4-.6cc less capacity.

As for .223 ammo, AMMOMAN.COM d/b/a Discount Distributors has wolf 62gr fmj for 279 shipped per thousand. Hard to beat.

4. Westy

Westy New Member

I checked all my AR's and only one upper (barrel) is marked .223, so I should be o.k. with all the others.

Never shot any wolf ammo. Some swear by it, others fu-fu it. I have one box of 20 to try out. Sure would be nice to burn that up instead of the brass!

5. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Anyone who says Wolf is crap, has a piece of crap gun, or has never actually fired it.

I can shoot a 3/8 MOA three shot group at 100 yards, from my 16" stainless bull barrelled AR(1:8)Everyone at that class was as impressed as I was, especially me, as it was the first real precision shooting I have attempted with it.

6. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

"Wylde chamber, is a mix between .223 and 5.56. 5.56x45 NATO is NOT exactly the same as a .223 Rem. The 5.56 spec allows for slightly longer chambers for higher pressures. The .223 has a tighter chamber around the neck and is shorter which allows for a bit better accuracy. You can shoot .223 ammo in a 5.56 chamber, but it is DANGEROUS to shoot 5.56 (surplus for instance) ammo in a .223 chamber. BE CAREFUL. What the Wylde chamber does is allow for 5.56 ammo with slightly tighter chamber for better accuracy. So you can shoot both 5.56 and 223 safely with good accuracy."

You pretty much had it right, except that the Wylde is a modified .556/.223 and works pretty darn well for either ammo. If you are going for pure accuracy though, you may want to get a dedicated receiver, made for that specific ammunition, as the tolerances will be a little tighter. ;)

Yes, you can shoot .223 thru a 5.56 chamber with no problems.

No, you should NOT shoot 5.56 in a .223 chamber. You could have problems - some severe ;)

As for the Wolf ammo, - LOL - let's just say, if it works for you in YOUR gun, by all means, shoot it up, it is decent ammo. Others may not agree or may have experienced problems in their guns. Not all AR's are the same when it comes to ammo likes and dislikes. So, try it and find out. For the price, it's hard to beat for plinking and practicing.

Slo

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

+1 slow,

If the barrel is stamper 5.56 shoot any thing you can find that fits in the mag and chambers to battery, You're GTG!

IF YOUR BARREL IS FACTORY STAMPED .223 SHOOT ONLY .223 designated ammo, NO 5.56 Military just to be safe.

It will probably handle it, but once you do it, you will not receive your 72 virgins!

8. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

My son's WASR 3 in 5.56 will not shoot any ammo with brass. It eats Wolf up,fmj, like it's going out of style.

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

10. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

+10000000000000

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

There is Not one damn thing wrong with wolf ammo!!!

What you need is a mag that can handle any ammo, not big $ Hampton Long Island, range only, ammo!

Check out Tripp Research AR MAG webb section, canebrake says you will be taken care of!

This steel stuff shoots straight and is a real value in my opinion!

If our LI gun refuses to shoot Ruski Ammo, You deserve to DIE!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2009
  12. Shooter girl

Shooter girl New Member

Never had a problem feeding, ejecting, or getting rounds on target with Wolf. However, in the one AR that I did run a lot of Wolf through I noticed significant wear in the chamber over other ARs I had in the past where I only ran brass.

Never had the same problem in Aks. One gentleman explained it as the tighter tolerances in the AR. Don't know if that is BS.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2009
  13. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

ROFLMAO :D

uhmmmm.... +1, too.

14. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

I think everyone should buy a 1,000 rounds of Wolf. Then try it out in their ARs. If anyone then has a problem and is not satisfied with it, then they can ship the unused ammo to me for disposal. Just trying to do my part!

Seriously, the Wolf works fine in both my AR's, but it would not cycle in my brother's Bushy.

15. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Or just keep the ammo and ship the AR to ME! :D

16. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Can you even own an AR in New Jersey?

17. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Thanks T-X, you one helpful guy. Joe

18. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

Actually...Wolf is one of the few ammo mfg'ers out there who give you a 100% money back guarantee on any unused ammo ;)

So, it's like a no-brainer to try it, and see for yourself if it works well in your particular gun/guns or not. If not, send it back to them, they even pay shipping.

WOLF is the only ammunition company that provides a 100% Performance Guarantee. If you are not fully satisfied, WOLF will refund your money on the unused portion of the ammunition, including and freight charges.

Wolf Ammo

Now if the price of the Wolf Gold ammo would come back down, that is some pretty good ammo ;)

Slo

19. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I've never used it, and I'm not gonna bash it. But from what I've heard, and it's just that, what I've heard, not experienced, so it could be totally wrong, that the steel cases don't expand as well and therefore don't get the same seal as brass, and this can cause extra chamber and bolt wear. Whether this is true or not, I'm not sure. But there are two reasons I don't use it, that is one, the other is that I'm saving up brass for when I start reloading. Plus PMC isn't that much more than Wolf.

-Fred

20. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Yes, ARs are legal in NJ but they are restricted to post ban configurations. The 94 AWB was based on existing NJ laws.

We are also restricted to max 15 rnd mags...rifle and handgun.