5.56 or .223 does it matter?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by srohda, Mar 30, 2013.

1. srohda

srohda New Member

I finally got my hands on a lower after months of searching, $140 not bad. It is labeled cal. .223-5.56. Is there a difference in parts kits and what I mean is do certain lpk's only work with .223 and others with 5.56? I thought both rounds were the same. Also same question for uppers. Just trying to figure out what to buy. Thanks!

image-1178472271.jpg

image-1781958099.jpg

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

There is a difference, not huge, but a difference. Just be sure to use an upper chambered for 5.56 and you can shoot either one.

You can use the lower for any AR15 caliber you want, 6.8 spc, 458 Socom, etc.

3. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

A firearm that marked 5.56mm can shoot both 5.56mm and .223.
    they are slightly different w/ 223 being the softer round.

For this reason its ok to shoot 223 in a 5.56 gun but not the other way around.

4. srohda

srohda New Member

Alright thanks for the info

5. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Just get a barrel for 5.56 so you can shoot both. Everything elts is the same.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

HELLO! pay attention, now! He has a LOWER with that marking!

The critical bit is the UPPER! As said, get a 5.56 upper (or .223 Wylde) and you can shoot either. Marks on the lower do not matter in this case.

7. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Legal wise, the 5.56 and .223 are identical. Like everyone says, going with the upper, you should get the 5.56 so you won't have any mechanical issues. A .223 chambered upper might have some feeding problems with the 5.56 ammo. That said, depending on which state you live in, if you swap with a , say, 7.62x39 upper, you may have some legal challenges.

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Most rifle kits have a 5.56 upper but otherwise most kits are crap, though PSA's is good. I'd look for quality parts not the cheapest kit with ugly parts.

9. nosaj

nosaj New Member

Why would 7.62x39 present legal challenges?

10. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

In a sane world it won't. BUT, an ar that is registered as a specific caliber is "TECHNICALLY" restricted to shooting those calibers. Should a person find themselves in a twist with the BATFE, shooting a 6.8 upper on a lower marked 223/5.56 could be grounds for probable cause for an aggressive investigator or just another charge to pile on. Having a lower marked "MULTI" is far more desirable for avoiding such technicalities.

That being said, The probability is very very slim that the average person will find themselves in such a situation.

If you live in a state that is less than friendly towards guns. If you are shooting at a public range where LEOs also shoot. If they think your rifle does not "sound" correctly, they could come over and do a visual inspection of your weapon and life gets difficult from there. This applies to shooting a .22 cal conversion kit as well.

EDUB

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  11. nosaj

nosaj New Member

Never thought of it that way. I always looked at an AR as a "modular" platform.

12. InDefenseofLiberty

InDefenseofLiberty New Member

Where the hell do you live where this is even a remote possibility? The whole last paragraph is so far fetched its ridiculous.

13. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

You took the words right out of my mouth.

14. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

California maybe? LOL

15. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

I live in the free state of TEXAS! And yes it may be far fetched (I will readily admit that) but as far fetched as it may be, it is possible. Probable? Not likely. But possible? Yes.

That last paragraph was a hypothetical worst case scenario. My fault for not presenting it as such.

You can disagree if you like, but I'll play it safe and buy my lowers that say "MULTI".

EDUB

16. Squawk

Squawk New Member

I'd recommend getting an upper from PSA. If you have the extra cash, get one with the Cold Hammer Forged barrel. It will be the best money you spend on a build.

17. InDefenseofLiberty

InDefenseofLiberty New Member

18. Gunsnob

Gunsnob New Member

Got any PROOF to back up your ridiculous claims?

19. suzychapstick

suzychapstick New Member

Wow, I clicked on this ad a while back because I myself still am trying to figure out the diff in these two calibers. I think my curiosity is which is more accurate? Anyway, with fsted2s' point, my first thought/question was the same as nosaj515. Now EW1066 clarifies it. This is too much. Even the innocent .22 gets roped into it. jeez. And EW1066 is breaking it to us mildly as a worst case scenario, huh. At the rate were goin, it'll be the average case scenario before long. And those who wonder who'd live in such a place, well, you got a point at the moment anyway.

20. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Fortunately, I live in Kentucky, where the second amendment hasn't been stripped to almost nonexistence. But, unless you live in a cave, you know there are those that are trying to eliminate the second amendment, or come a close as possible to doing so. That is why I made the statement. Illinois has virtually stripped the 2nd to the point I don't even want to go through it.