5.45 Ak optic

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by austin92, Jan 29, 2015.

1. austin92

austin92 New Member

Hey guys, I've got a waffen werks 74 with a wood Bulgarian parts kit on it. I'd like to set this rifle up to shoot past 300 yards. I know that's "possible" on irons but I'd like something like an acog or red dot with something n the 3x to 6x range magnifier. Basically I want to b good at distance but b able to shoot with both eyes open up close. Not looking to shoot sub moa at 1000yds, just minute of man out to say 500yds, 600 max. Basically I'd like input on what optic and how to mount it. Maybe recommendations on a nice stock with cheek riser and bi-pod? Do tws dust cover rails lock up tight and retain zero like they say?

2. austin92

austin92 New Member

3. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

A great looking AK!

The "pencil box" lid was not meant for optics. At those distances you really need a regulation side monorail directly bolted to the receiver. It won't hurt to try, just don't invest in expensive optics until you know it will work. It is an ambitious project. The AK carbine was not meant for long distance.

For the cheek weld, try the Blackhawk AR cheek riser. It straps to the stock and works great, I use it on my AK and other rifles.

A bipod will not help at all. You will need a real solid rest.

4. austin92

austin92 New Member

What do you mean by "regulation" side rail? I looked n to the surplus BP02 side mount because it had great reviews but didn't know if there was anything better or what optic to put on it. I know the Ak is no "sniper" but I've got the 7.62 for up close stuff. I want to try and push the platform and have the 5.45 working for me. Heard mixed reviews on the tws dogleg. Some say it's the only way to go while others say it's completely junk. No one on the fence lol. And on bi-pods, you think I'd b wasting my time even if I bought quality?

5. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I do, because the carbine is too lightweight to sit tight on a bipod. For closer range okay, for distance it'll frustrate you. Unless you get a super heavy bipod, but then you defeat the purpose. Try it, see for yourself.

The Russians never attached bipods to their AK carbines. For that they have the RPK and the Drogunov.

The dogleg is the way to go. The left side monorail has been the only mil-spec (regulation) scope base since the 1940's, because all Russian rifles are serviced from the top. Beyond that I can't recommend anything, ask the folks who had success in rigging their AK's.

This dogleg below is identical to the one on my AK. (No pic of the AK in my phone). It is rock solid on this 7.62x54 rifle too. Got it for about $25 apiece, pretty sure it was branded USG.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  6. samnev

samnev New Member

If you have a side rail on your AK there are several decent mounts you can buy which let you put any commercial scope you want on your AK. Don't go cheap on either the mount or the scope. I would probably get a 1-4X or 1-6X if I was scoping an AK. I'd look at the Vortex scope line for a starting point nothing cheaper.

7. austin92

austin92 New Member

Can you shoot those with both eyes open comfortably? Parallax an issue since my cheek wield won't b the best? These are the questions that pushed me to the acog/magnified red dot choices

8. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

For better accuracy you need a scope adjustable for parallax, on QD rings, not an acog. And a properly elevated removable cheek rest.

9. austin92

austin92 New Member

I'm only looking for minute of man, not keyholing. I'd still like to b capable up close though

10. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Nobody's looking for keyholing from any rifle. If your bullets are arriving at the target sideways, they're not properly stabilized.

For the optic, buy something that's as tough as the rifle. If you prefer forward mounts, go with an Aimpoint Micro on an Ultimak mount.

If you prefer the optic over the receiver, go with an Aimpoint Comp M3 on a RS Regulate mount.

Magnified optics permit a clearer view of the target at distance, but you do have to have proper eye relief for that to be an option. Something in the 2X-7X range or 1X-6X generally works well at shorter distances.

11. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I think by keyholing he meant precision shooting :D

12. austin92

austin92 New Member

Those rs mounts sit low and center? Price?

13. austin92

austin92 New Member

Yeah, sorry about that

14. kbd512

The optic is positioned low and is centered over the receiver. With the Comp M3, you get a lower 1/3 co-witness on your irons. The mount is quick-release, so you can easily remove it.

Everywhere I've seen them sold they run about $180 for the mount and ring for the Aimpoint.

Even if you opt for a less expensive optic than an Aimpoint, I wouldn't try to cheap out on the mount.

15. austin92

austin92 New Member

Mount seems like a good product. I know the comp m3's are great optics but I'm really wanting magnification. Think I could run a flip out or QD magnifier behind the m3 on that mount?

16. kbd512

Unfortunately, no.

Even if you forward bias the optic, an Aimpoint magnifier would be a little too close to your eye.

If you had a variable magnification optic with a 30MM tube (pretty standard these days) you could use two of the 30MM rings to mount it. The bell for the objective and ocular lenses would probably have to be 42MM in diameter or less, though. We're basically talking about using a low variable magnification "tactical" rifle scope.

Although RS Regulate makes a picatinny rail and an ACOG rail that can be screwed into the mount in place of the 30MM Aimpoint rings, both of these mount options are going to place the optic higher above the receiver. The ACOG mount is worse than the PK-AS (a Russian red dot optic, if you're not familiar with it). It simply wasn't designed for the AK platform.

If you go with the variable magnification optic, you'll want the full length mount. I believe all mounts are the same price (look it up for yourself because I'm not sure), so it doesn't matter if you get the forward bias, rear bias, or full length mount.

17. austin92

austin92 New Member

Are their any stocks with adjustable cheek risers built n? Also for trigger I hear red star army is good but I also heard gessiel is coming out with one for 2015. Anyone with experience other than a G2?

18. austin92

austin92 New Member

Any more optic ideas?

19. kbd512

There aren't a lot of good mount options for the AK and all of the less expensive optics mounts are going to place the optic so far above the receiver that it's difficult to get a good cheek weld without having an adjustable stock.

By the time you pay for the adjustable stock, you could have simply purchased a mount that lowers the height of the optic. Steer clear of Rube Goldberg solutions to a simple problem.

However, I had a complete brain fart and forgot about Midwest Industries. They have a mount that's perfect for what you want to use it for. It's less expensive than the RS Regulate option and only slightly heavier.