Firearms Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled across this Ruger in May of 2005, and old three-screw .357 Magnum Blackhawk, with the safety conversion installed, no original parts. I rounded up the necessary parts, with a wide trigger from Dave Clements, and bought an Old Army steel grip frame. Sent the gun off to Dave Clements for conversion to .44 Special and case hardening/coloring by Doug Turnbull. Cary Chapman made the walnut grips:

Spent a little time working up a good load, and Saturday's outing put the gun past the 5,000 round mark.

I like this gun.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
43 Posts
Very nice group! I've never fired a 44 Special. What's the kick like compared to 357 and 44 Magnums that I have fired?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice group! I've never fired a 44 Special. What's the kick like compared to 357 and 44 Magnums that I have fired?

Well, if you mean "kick" as in thrill, its a hoot!

If you mean "kick" as in recoil, there's no comparison with either the .357 or .44 Magnum. It's much tamer than either, more like a .45 Colt. There's not so much recoil, little muzzle flip. The gun rolls up less.

Best as I can describe it.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks Bob. I did mean as in recoil but I certainly appreciate the other definition as well. :D

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
YOu can't go wrong with a Ruger 357. I have a Ruger 44 Mag. Bisley and it's my "funest" gun to shoot.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I've never been one that having to thumb the hammer back for each shot sounded like fun to , but , I can appreciate beautiful weapon when I see one and that most definitely is one gorgeous gun especially those grips .

To top it off it looks like accuracy is very good .

Fine weapon you have there sir I am envious .

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
Here is what my Ruger Bisley 44 Mag can do at 25 yards using iron sights... and a bench rest.

Pulling the hammer back isn't such a big deal, if accuracy means anything to you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts