5,000 Round Milestone............

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Bob Wright, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

I stumbled across this Ruger in May of 2005, and old three-screw .357 Magnum Blackhawk, with the safety conversion installed, no original parts. I rounded up the necessary parts, with a wide trigger from Dave Clements, and bought an Old Army steel grip frame. Sent the gun off to Dave Clements for conversion to .44 Special and case hardening/coloring by Doug Turnbull. Cary Chapman made the walnut grips:

[​IMG]

Spent a little time working up a good load, and Saturday's outing put the gun past the 5,000 round mark.

I like this gun.

[​IMG]

Bob Wright

2. Gramps

Gramps New Member

Very nice group! I've never fired a 44 Special. What's the kick like compared to 357 and 44 Magnums that I have fired?

3. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

Well, if you mean "kick" as in thrill, its a hoot!

If you mean "kick" as in recoil, there's no comparison with either the .357 or .44 Magnum. It's much tamer than either, more like a .45 Colt. There's not so much recoil, little muzzle flip. The gun rolls up less.

Best as I can describe it.

Bob Wright

4. Gramps

Gramps New Member

Thanks Bob. I did mean as in recoil but I certainly appreciate the other definition as well. :D

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  5. Ruger Redhawk

Ruger Redhawk New Member

That's a real nice gun you have there Bob and nice group.Love those grips. Good find.

6. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

YOu can't go wrong with a Ruger 357. I have a Ruger 44 Mag. Bisley and it's my "funest" gun to shoot.

7. BigO01

BigO01 New Member

I've never been one that having to thumb the hammer back for each shot sounded like fun to , but , I can appreciate beautiful weapon when I see one and that most definitely is one gorgeous gun especially those grips .

To top it off it looks like accuracy is very good .

Fine weapon you have there sir I am envious .

8. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Here is what my Ruger Bisley 44 Mag can do at 25 yards using iron sights... and a bench rest.

[​IMG]

Pulling the hammer back isn't such a big deal, if accuracy means anything to you.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008