4x4

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Justin588, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Justin588

Justin588 New Member

Thinkin bout buyin new 4x4 ina 25-06 any body heard anything good or bad can't beat the price

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Welcome to the forum. Why don't you stop by the introduction area and let everyone know you are here.

IMHO, you can beat the price, it's called a Marlin XL7. Trust me, I've owned both in 30-06 and the XL7 is a much better rifle.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the 4x4 mossberg is just a revamped ATR100. if they shoot like the ATR100, they have massive recoil! even in 30-06. i had an ATR100 in 30-06, was not pleased with it at all, worked hard to reduce the recoil, but it felt more like a 300 win. mag. than a 30-06! buy the Marlin XL7, you will be much happier. i ended up trading my ATR100 for a 44mag. pistol. BTW, i have three of the Marlin X7's, XL7 in 25-06, XS7 in 7mm-08 and the XL7VH in 308. i plan on replacing my 30-06 with the XL7. these guns are accurate and priced reasonable.

4. spittinfire

I can second axxe's comments on the recoil. My ATR, while accurate, was unpleasant to shoot. The XL7 felt recoil in 30-06 is mild in comparison. I can shoot my Marlin all day with no problems.

5. Justin588

Justin588 New Member

6. Axxe55

i wonder if it has anything to do with the material the stock is made out of? because even my Marlin's have hollow stocks. i fill all of my hollow stocks with expanding foam to quiet them down. i tried it with the Mossberg to help dampen the recoil, but had no affect.

7. spittinfire

I think it has more to do with the recoil pad then the stock itself. The marlin is post bedded but I don't see that having much impact on felt recoil.

8. Axxe55

i do like the marlins better! the mossberg was pretty accurate with handloads i made for it, but after shooting 50+ rounds on a day of target shooting, my shoulder was very sore! if all a person was going to do was hunt with it, then it would be a decent and inexpensive rifle to go hunting on the cheap. but i do lots more target shooting than hunting. i do plan on buying a marlin XL7 in 30-06, you can never go wrong with a 30-06!