4th FTF Shotgun Shoot & Hoot, Vanzant, Mo. OCT 4-5, 2014

Discussion in 'Missouri Gun Forum' started by bobski, Mar 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

after 30 days, this 1st page cant be edited. always check the last few pages for latest updates!
    -------------------------------------

The Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm of Vanzant, Mo.
    will be hosting a corporate outing for
    FTF.COM MEMBERS
    GUESTS AND LOCALS ARE INVITED TO SHOOT
    4-5 OCT 2014
    SAFETY BRIEF: 9AM, 1PM
    1st FLIGHT 10AM RAIN OR SHINE
    Bring 10 Boxes of Ammo,
    3 cases of walmart clays
    ANY GUN
    ANY GAUGE

Cost is 50.00

The Days Events Will Be:
    9am - Intro/Waivers/Gun Insp.
    10am - Match Begins
    Box 1 = 16yd ATA Trap
    Box 2 = Handicap Trap
    Box 3 = Skeet
    Box 4 & 5 = Annie Oakley
    Box 6-10 = Shooters Choice

NO EXPERIENCE NEEDED

10 NEW SHOOTERS REQUIRED TO HOLD THE MEET

HIGH SCORE MUST SHOOT OFF WITH LOW SCORE FOR TROPHY.
    BOB SHOOTS IN PROXY FOR LOW SCORE.
    SHOOT OFF IS A TRAP WALK BACK TO 50YDS.
    LAST MAN STANDING WINS.
    Call me and reserve a spot!

DIRECTIONS:
    http://www.claytargetsonline.com/club.php/2888
    -------------------------

by popular demand and for the ones who couldnt come in apr, im offering it again in oct. start planning now!

i enjoy bringing cyber posters together to share something in common, shooting! being retired military, i have a lot of free time to devote to my passion, shotguns and people. i enjoy it so much, that i bought this abandoned range a few years ago, just to have people come out and learn to shoot. it also gives the locals something to do after those long hard days on the farm. i live in va.. so i only visit up to mo. twice a year. so i'd like to offer you all a chance to come meet me at my place for a great little getaway which i promise will be worth your time.
    i use to shoot on the navy shooting team, rifle, pistol, and shotgun. i was on the world champion navy skeet team that won gold in san antonio back in the 90's. i know the game.
    to make your visit to the ftf meet worth the trip, im offering free instruction and coaching to all that sign up.
    i prefer it to be 'bring your own shotgun,' but if you dont have one, i will ensure some will be here for you to borrow for free. and too, others will surely bring some to loan as well.
    i will open my clubhouse for free as well.
    it has a kitchen, so anyone is welcome to use it to cook. i cant cook for you guys....i'll be teaching on the range, so if you want to bbq or eat grub, bring your own food and cook it yourselves. i also supply coffee to all shooters for free.
    the range parking lot is big enough for campers. i dont have sewage, but i do have free electricity and water hookups. bring your extention cords and hoses. so if you want to bring a camper to save on motels, feel free. pitch a tent too if youd like.
    i dont have a real gas bbq grill, i only have an old girl scout pit, so someone will need to bring one if they want to grill.
    the clubhouse is knotty pine, has running water, toilet, heat and ac.

weather is always the stick in the mud, so we all really do need to plan this as a weekend event. banking on one day is a gamble. so plan it as a weekend getaway and enjoy some of the sites around here if it rains on 4 oct. if you can get here friday, it will give us wiggle room. if you leave monday morning, even better. but i understand most of you must return for work.

tickets are 50.00. bring 10 boxes of shells.
    many pitch in to make the trophy free and many pitch in to give free prizes to winners. we will gladly receive any other donated items needed to hold the meet, like cases of clay targets from walmart or sports authority etc...
    this match is designed for beginners to get a feel for the sport on a budget. i will shepard you thru the basics to the 4 different games for free.
    of course if youre a skilled shooter, come as well! but to ensure there are no ringers, the top score must shoot against me in the last event if they want to win; because, i shoot in proxy for last place. if i win, last place wins the match. high score wins the prizes. so dont be scared away over a match due to a lack of skill. its a lot of fun.
    and when the meet is over...we all attend a dutch steak dinner at the local pub called club 60 in mountain grove, mo.. it goes well into the night.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/cities/210-missouri/restaurants/1066216-club-60-steak-house/menu

so get out there in the ftf forums and send people this direction.

---------------------------------------

for those choosing to come, heres your bug out list................

* shotgun, 12ga or 20ga. must have shoulder stock. must be in working order. suggest pump, semi, o&u, or sbs.
    * interchangable chokes both IC & FULL. SKT will be fine too. if you dont have a gun with interchangable chokes, bring two shotguns...one with a full and one with a skeet or IC choke in it.
    * 10 boxes of ammo, 7 1/2 or 8 shot.
    * 3 cases of walmart clay targets
    * ball cap
    * rain gear
    * safety glasses, clear or smoked.
    * shell pouch if you have one. (dont buy one, i have some you can borrow.)
    * ear plugs, not ear muffs. those big dorky ones will interfere with your stock fit to your cheek.
    * batters gloves. nice but not needed.
    * 10 gallons of nerves
    * 1 humble pie
    * and 9 hours of energy

---------------------------------------------

for those considering coming, here are the ground rules......

VCPF Range Rules:

Rangemasters decisions are final.
    Drug or alcohol use prohibited on the premise. Period. The management has the right to deny shooting privileges if detected.
    Eye and ear protection required when shooting or in the shooting area.
    Guns & ammo are subject to inspection. Shoulder stocks are required.
    Guns entering the clubhouse must be opened and confirmed empty before racking.
    Shouldering, dry firing, and loading of firearms in the clubhouse is prohibited.
    A game is 25 targets. Shoot only 1 shot at 1 target.
    Extra targets not allowed, unless one is thrown broken.
    Carry only one gauge of ammo when shooting.
    Load only when you are on a firing station. Otherwise, keep your firearm unloaded with the action open.
    Load no more than 2 rounds at a time.
    Load only 1 round on station 8 high house and 1 round for ATA trap.
    Don’t swing past the center stake on station 8.
    Everyone shoots station 8 high, then everyone shoots station 8 low.
    If your gun gives an odd report, cease fire, unload your gun, and check the bore for an obstruction.
    Stop all shooting when a cease-fire is called. Open all actions and unload.
    Be alert for people in the shooting area or downrange.
    Don’t shoot at wildlife or livestock. Dogs must be leashed and policed.
    Don’t shoot if an orange cone, flag, or hat appears on the trap bunker.
    Don’t walk past the far edge of the houses unless loading the bunker.
    Don’t shoot the houses. If you do, confess and paint it.
    No shot larger than #6 allowed on this range.
    Children must be kept within arms reach at all times. Infants not allowed on the range. Period.
    Children who can not safely hold, mount, or swing a firearm properly, may not shoot.
    To reduce the risk of lead ingestion, no eating or smoking while shooting. It is advised to thoroughly wash hands and face after shooting.
    You may keep whatever hulls you came with. All others are club property and must remain.
    Did i say the rangemasters decisions are final? Good. Just checking.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  2. bobski

we are once again taking reservations. first come first served....

latest tally....

rkb...........................paid, squaded...NT
    drfootball...................maybe
    fred_g........................paid, squaded
    MzGrn.......................maybe

----------------------------------------------------

squads.........

saturday:
    9am:
    FIELD 1: (PRACTICE FIELD)

9am:
    FIELD 2: (TRAINING FIELD. 50.00)
    1. rkb

1pm:

1pm:
    FIELD 2: (TRAINING FIELD 50.00)

sunday:
    12 noon:

12 noon:
    FIELD 2: (TRAINING FIELD)

------------------------------------------

this is a list of members that were no shows at the last 3 meets. they all paid, but never showed up. lets not forget them and stay in touch with them so they get a chance to come in the future. highlighted names are ftf members........

rockrattbuddy2....whimped out
    rockrattbuddy3....whimped out
    gso buddy1.....work
    tireman........very ill
    wolfman.......was tiremans buddy. doubt he comes
    spala...........will never come
    lynn parsons......a very busy man
    carver.........void ticket
    ryan42.........void ticket/con man from indiana rooked me @ 1st meet
    ryanson........void ticket/con mans innocent son
    gvw3...........work
    gvw3son.......work
    ozarkfrog......illness in family
    ozark777...........paid, then oddly disappeared
    ozark777wife...................."
    ozark777buddy.................."
    ozark777wife2..................."
    ironhorse944.........work
    ironhorsebuddy......work
    texaswoodworker...financial issues
    arkygirl.................new baby
    tekgreg.......health reasons
    fred_g.........car expenses.........squaded for 4 oct
    arky.....................surgery
    arkyson.................new daddy
    dennis..................surgery

---------------------------------------------

this is a list of members we invited or never responded. lets keep them all in mind and make sure to invite them again...............

g17franz......
    mrbot...........
    levershooter..
    infidel686.......
    kroy88............
    xringtactical...
    darkmagican...
    xringtactical...
    jimski............
    mouser.........
    aender77.......
    jw357...........
    jw357wife......
    boatme98.......
    rudy...............
    zombiegirl.........
    jimogden1984...
    enfieldaddict....
    mobound.........
    triumphman.....
    clue...............
    chrishiggin29...
    kryptar19........
    wolfe..............
    leadslanger......
    bob wright.......
    gunsgodandcountry...
    -------
    shooter88............
    lbwar15...............
    downsouth...........
    devin556.............
    kytowboater.........
    jdbennett............
    apexduck.............
    jimhnstl...............
    hmh....................
    tri70...................
    griffworks.............
    makemyday..........
    thrice4all.............
    axxe55................
    clanjf.................
    celt....................
    smith7.3..............
    rjacobs.................
    hightechredneck123...
    bedroomhowitzer...
    cgm40.................
    gwl.....................
    bearrwe...............
    robbie762............
    niteglock.............
    sdiver35.............
    natenit..............
    nighthawk63.......
    kycol................
    ellwood45c.........
    blahX3..............
    Diver9543..........
    captainbelly.......
    KansasandD.......
    Longballer71......
    ka5row.............
    ssts39..............
    zombiefox..........
    FirearmsAuction_org..
    Argyle_Armoring.......
    maso157..............
    stl_boy32.............

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Could you plan these events on my weekends off? :cool:

4. bobski

you mean you couldnt figure out last oct that it would be the same week a year later? lol!
    the longer we push it back, the odds are it will be freezing cold. this is the ozarks at altitude! remember how it went from 80 to 42 during the last oct meet?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  5. winds-of-change

I work every other weekend and sometimes there are 5 weekends in a month. I don't always have the same weekends off year to year.

6. bobski

.....of course, i knew that! lol.
    hey, its early yet. it may change as it nears closer to shoot day.

7. bobski

and like always, anyone wanting to donate for the trophy we give away at the shoot, pm me for details.

8. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I found the visual of one of Bobski's rules interesting:

"Guns & ammo are subject to inspection. Shoulder stocks are required." Can you see someone shooting skeet or trap with a pistol-gripped shotgun? Or one of the Mossberg chainsaws? :eek:

Also, clarification for people brand new to shotguns:

"No shot larger than #6 allowed on this range." This means the shot size on the side of the box (all shot shells are marked on the side as to shot size). Must be 6 or HIGHER. smaller numbers (4, BB, any # Buckshot) is prohibited, as it is larger than #6.

Hope it helps!

9. bobski

6, 7 1/2, 8, and 9 shot is perfect.

10. bobski

youd be surprised how some people think tacticool guns can do it all.
    ive had people with pg stocks come out....but as long as they fold out the folding stock..im ok with it.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  11. bobski

2 slots filled. 9 more to lock in this shoot.

12. bobski

ok, based on inputs from the last few meets, we have redesigned the course. im trying to fit too much into too small a time space. its killing me.

even though the whole purpose of the meet is to introduce different games to new shooters, not all games are easy. many that have come prefer to shoot trap and annie oakleys. so we've eliminated the hard games of international skeet, doc adams, and poor man 5 stand for oct's meet. instead we will shoot handicap trap and another annie oakley.if we can get done earlier, i will be more than glad to hold an eliminated game, but for now we need to look at the new line up.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  13. bobski

another change to oct's meet is i will no longer send range cards to shooters. the last meet had way too many forgetting their cards. without cards, i have no way of keeping track of how many games are actually shot. dont get me wrong, everyone promised to take care of it on the honor system, but even shooters can get as busy as me and forget and lose track. as many know, im running around like a chicken with its head cut off and cant keep up with admin work while teaching. so...next meet, you secure your cards in advance like always, but your cards will be at the counter when you come.

everyone has been very honest, but the way we have this meet set up does tend to leave opportunities to make mistakes easy.

those that have cards currently must understand, that after you receive my 4-5 game instruction, the remaining games need to be shot on your own on the 2nd field. filling in to get another instruction slows down the tempo and puts the steakhouse dinner too far back. the club closes at 10pm. the club stayed open until 11:30pm for us. we need to be more punctual, so squads need to be limited and we need to hustle. granted, you all know, i like to give extra time to everyone, but everyone needs to help move the whole meet along to a target time to finish.

im also going to cut the meet to 10 shooters a day. 3 squads is nice, but its not working. if 5 more want to come, its going to have to be sunday noon.

14. bobski

when i use to compete on the national circuit, we were given a time and day to be at the range. when our names were called on station one by the line judge, he called out names twice in 5 minutes. if at the end of 5 minutes we werent there, we were disqualified.
    i have been very accomondating to those traveling to get here, but the result is many are late only because squads change, people dont show up, and slots open. i feel its in the best interest that everyone be here at the same time and you learn the waiting game like pros' do. you sign in, you watch the progression of the squads, and when slots open, you jump in and keep all sqauds at 5. if it means a motel the night prior or camping on the grounds is needed, so be it. so instead of me praying it doesnt rain, and going around the course 3 times with only 2 or 3 shooters, i can go with 5 every time and be done faster. id like to have a sit down lunch too and be at club 60 by 6pm.
    for those that did come early, they lucked out and got in on the empty slots from no shows.

food for thought.

15. bobski

incidentals are really digging into the shoot guys. everything from machine parts breaking, oil and transmission fluid, scratched loaner shooting glasses, shooters not seeing the second bird, not firing, and being given a mulagan, jammed guns causing extra targets to be thrown, targets breaking from just normal usage, cleaning bathroom supplies, and even broken club chairs. my first shoot in 2012 i had a guy drop my gun on cement and crack my forearm and bust a front bead. i sucked it up.

my coaching is offered for free, but at the rate its all going, im not sure how much longer i can do it before im sunk with overheads.

the jar on the window sill needs to be visited more often. i would say the waitress at the club working 2 hours serving us, got more than r.scott did working 12. for those that did remember r.scott, bless you.

16. bobski

serious update.....i just got a email from my target supplier. guys. my target supplier is about to cut me off. i dont order enough often enough and the cost for him to deliver out here in the boondocks is about to sky rocket. frankly, it is going to double. i wont do it.
    can i suggest this? every shooter bring at least 3 cases of walmart clays with them? this way ticket costs will help go more towards the meets overheads and upkeep. i will adjust my machines the best i can to handle heavier targets. just keep in mind, walmart targets are harder to break. they are designed to be flung out of cheap outers hand cocked back yard machines...not professional grade machines.
    discusss......

17. bobski

i also think this time, we will make the annie oakley one point and out. you guys were all the way up to the 10 yd line and still missing! we were going to be there all night! lol.

18. bobski

club 60 is our favorite hang out. its close to mt grove motels for the guests. after eating, its maybe 5 minutes max to crawl into bed and crash after being exhausted all day.

on the other hand, we have discussed having the evening meal at a ritzier place called rockbridge trout ranch. its a great place. advantages..its a memorable evening. it also has rooms. disadvantages, rooms are more expensive than a motel in town. its 30 minutes in the opposite direction of mt grove, meaning after a long day and great evening, the drive back to mt grove is over an hour thru some pretty twisty lightless mountain roads in the dark.
    so, i need to hear everyones inputs as to if we stay with club 60 or try rockbridge.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  19. winds-of-change

I know Balota pointed out the 'tip jar' more than once to the shooters there Saturday. I agree R Scott deserves a LOT more thanks than he got.

I think this is a very good idea. Maybe you can suggest a brand of clays that your throwing machines prefer. I will gladly bring 2-3 boxes of clays if that makes it easier for you.

Personally, I would prefer to stay with Club 60. They have been very good to us and I would like to continue giving them our business. And it is closer to where many of us are staying for the weekend.

20. winds-of-change

Remember our new shooter, Nathaniel? Balota and I went and visited his dairy farm tonight. We got a great tour and enjoyed asking a million questions about dairy farming. We got to see the cows being milked, then let out and fed. We also got to see the cute little calves Then we had a taste of the fresh milk right of the the refrigerated holding tank. (Actually I had originally typed right out of the cow but Balota pointed out that might be misconstrued.) Tomorrow we are going back to the farm to buy some fresh whole milk to bring home.

Nathaniel will be joining us here on FTF soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.