Firearms Talk banner

460 Rowland or 50 G.I.

15K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  canebrake 
#1 ·
Seems I recall a thread about someone building a 460 Rowland.This round interest me and I'm wondering how it will affect the donor gun?I currently have three 5" 1911's,A Remmington,a RIA,and a Kimber Custom TLE,I'm thinking the Kimber is the only one suitable.I had also considered the 50 G.I. kit for my Glock 21.I'm just wondering if the 460 is gonna do any damage to the Kimber,or would it be better to risk the cheaper Glock?

#2 ·
460 Rowland seems like a much cooler round to me. 50GI is just really slow. If you want a cheaper option you could always get an XD45 tactical ($450) and then buy the Rowland conversion ($350) for it.

I believe there are also plenty of entry level 1911s that will handle the 460 just fine...maybe a Springfield or even the Para GI Expert.

#3 ·
I have a 1911 in 460 Rowland and it is a hoot!

I introduce you to Fenrir:

Big Thunder II Vs. Fenrir: The 1911 .460 Rowland Build Off

From the CCG website:

CLARK 460 Rowland Kit

We do not recommend this kit for installation in
  • IAI (Israeli Arms International) - We've found the top lugs in the slides of the Philipines produced 1911s to be soft! We've not tested the Israeli made guns but would recommend extreme caution.
  • Rock Island Armory
  • Auto Ordnance
  • Taurus
  • Llama
  • AMT
  • Charles Daly
  • Essex
  • Remington Rand
  • Any "GI" 1911 (note: Springfield Armory Current Production models excluded)

CCG 460 Rowland Conversion Kits for your 1911

.460 Rowland .... done the Canebrake way!

Call Renee (888 458 4126) at CCG and tell her canebrake or Dillinger sent you. She will fix you up!

#4 ·
Indeed. As Cane stated. Try the website, it answers a lot of questions you may have...and BTW, they are a blast to shoot! ;)

460 Rowland Conversion Kits for your 1911

Available for . . .
Colt Government
Colt Gold Cup Government
Springfield Armory Government
Kimber Government
Norinco Government
Sig Sauer Government
Smith & Wesson 1911
Para Ordnance
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Government = 5" barrel [/FONT]

#6 ·
I have to agree. The .460 Rowland is a powerhouse of a round, and the VERY well made kit from CCG was a drop in for my Kimber and there was no sign of weakness, bending/breaking or tweaking anything.

The spring is a MONSTER and that takes some getting used to doing on strip down, but all in all, I give this upgrade the ultimate thumbs up!

JD

#7 ·
it uses .451 bullets??

#8 ·
it uses .451 bullets??
.452 with the same dies as the 45ACP, same mags, same COAL.

The 460 Rowland case is 1/16 of an inch longer than the .45 ACP shell casing to prevent it from chambering in an unmodified .45 ACP gun.

In many models, like Fenrir, the .45 ACP will still function in a 460 Rowland chamber. This is the same relationship of the .38 Special to a .357 Magnum– just on a larger and more powerful scale.

Here's a few photos of the comparison of the .460 Rowland 185GR JHP to the .45 ACP 230GR Ball, both are Georgia Arms new ammo.

Using a (brand new) Colt barrel you can see the added length of the Rowland brass will not allow it to chamber. This is the built in safety function that prevents the gun from returning to battery in a factory .45 ACP barrel.

.45 ACP chambered, Note the round in the chamber checker to the right, the head stamp is flush with the surface of the check tool.

.460 Rowland in the same barrel. Note the round in the chamber checker to the right, the head stamp is above the surface of the check tool.

#9 ·
very interesting round. much cheaper than 50gi with astounding performance. i got a parkerized springfield 1911A1 that been sitting in my gun cabinet for 10 years. wonder if that compensator can be parkerized....

all i would need is the kit and brass

#11 ·
#12 ·
i got 500 rounds of 350 grn softpoint 458 socom ready to go :)

just gotta run the 460 by the wife at a good moment.
My perfect Hog Set-Up, my 458SOCOM AR-45 and the 460 Rowland thigh gun!

Now I just need someone to invite me to go Rumple Pigskin.

#13 · (Edited)
i need to check myself i think im turning into canebrake!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aHyN52jNI0[/ame]

#14 ·
I never could get excited about the 50GI but I've got a 460 rowland in the words. It's taking off a lot slower then I though since work picked up but it will get there.

#15 ·
Cane and Dillinger,I enjoyed the competition thread.I think I'll go with the Rowland for my Kimber.I grew up with the guys at Georgia Arms and their just down the road a piece.The ballistics,price of the ammo and availibility,and Canes assurance that it won't mess up my gun,swayed my desision.I'm looking forward to getting the kit and will report back when it is completed.May get the 50G.I. for the Glock too,just for ****s and giggles!

#16 ·
Cane and Dillinger,I enjoyed the competition thread.I think I'll go with the Rowland for my Kimber.I grew up with the guys at Georgia Arms and their just down the road a piece.The ballistics,price of the ammo and availibility,and Canes assurance that it won't mess up my gun,swayed my desision.I'm looking forward to getting the kit and will report back when it is completed.May get the 50G.I. for the Glock too,just for ****s and giggles!
I think the 50GI and the glock would be a good match! JMHO :eek:

#17 · (Edited)
i need to check myself i think im turning into canebrake!!
You don't qualify, you live in the great white North (Timber rattlers hate snow!) and you're not old enough.

Attachments

#18 ·
yeah all thats up here are grass snakes. the DNR needs to introduce the southern diamondback to spice things up.

#19 ·
Between the two rounds, 50 GI or 460 Rowland, there is the problem of availability. To my knowledge, the 50 GI is available from one source, the gun's manufacturer; while there are more than one for the 460, and hopefully, growing. The Rowland can easily be a hunting/woods round, or a defensive one. I do not believe the 50 GI as a good penetration/animal round. I do not have experience with either, but Canebrake and others do with the 460 - listen to them.

#20 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.