Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done the Clark conversion for a 1911 to .460 Rowland?. I am somewhat interested in setting up one 1911 as a hand cannon but would like some one on one feedback.
9 rounds of the equivalent of .44 mag. in a semi-automatic sounds like a lot of fun. If you were in country with large predators it could be very helpful.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Watching with interest :)

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
I know Dillinger and Canebrake both built them many years ago. Do a search on the forum and you should find a few old threads about them.

Search 460 Rowland 1911.

·
Premium Member
11,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What he said.
But it's so easy to buy a revolver in a serious caliber.
Of course, but that negates years of training and familiarization with the weapons platform and I have yet to see a 9 shot .44 mag revolver. I might buy the conversion just for kicks and giggles. You never know when you may need to kill an F-150. I have several 1911s gathering dust that would be good candidates.

·
Premium Member
11,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reactions: towboater

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I think I've talked myself into picking up the conversion kit. I've got a great candidate mid 90's SA 5" in stainless and Starline brass is .30 cents. I've been building the SA bottomend in my spare time and it is done other than some final smoothing of the front strap. Top end still needs to be built but thinking I might as well build it with the 460 kit. Starting to get excited about the possibilities.

Reactions: towboater

·
Premium Member
11,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm struggling with the thought of the .45 acp functioning with the same recoil spring in place.
You are probably right about that. .45ACP might not compress a 24 pound spring very reliably, or at all. From some of the descriptions I have read that it is rough to put the piece back together after a field strip because of the monster spring. I am hard headed enough to want to try it anyway. The next time I sell a Mosin, I am going to order a kit.

·
Proud to be an American
3,491 Posts
For some reason SS guns only require a 20 lb. spring while blued steel a 24 lb.?
I'm going to call them tomorrow but so far it's a go for me.

·
Premium Member
11,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For some reason SS guns only require a 20 lb. spring while blued steel a 24 lb.?
I'm going to call them tomorrow but so far it's a go for me.
Get one and let us know! I just spent my gun fund on getting the wife a new laptop, so I have to do some fertilizing and watering to get them to grow. I am seriously interested it gettin one if for nothing else but a cool range toy. I think that adding that muzzle break would make it just too big for carry.

Reactions: EclecticShooter

·
Proud to be an American
3,491 Posts
The compensator is part of the kit but I believe it is removable. I suspect there will be significant muzzle flip without it. I doubt this will carry well IW perhaps a shoulder rig?
Appendix carry? Who knows you might impress the ladies.....;)

·
Premium Member
11,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The compensator is part of the kit but I believe it is removable. I suspect there will be significant muzzle flip without it. I doubt this will carry well IW perhaps a shoulder rig?
Appendix carry? Who knows you might impress the ladies.....;)
I read a little about it and it seems the muzzle break helps to keep from beating the pistol so bad as well as muzzle control. The differences in the springs has something to do with the different friction coefficient between carbon steel and SS. It seems the stainless has more friction....whowoudda thought?

·
Proud to be an American
3,491 Posts
Got the Clark 460 Rowland conversion kit yesterday and installed it. Installation is straight forward but getting the recoil spring in there is a bit of a challenge! After almost taking out a couple of windows and putting a dent in the ceiling mission accomplished!

Took it to the range this afternoon and brought some .45 ACP 185gr. and 230gr. 460 Rowland. To my surprise the .45 ACP ran perfectly as did both the 185 & 230gr. HP 460 Rowland! No failures to feed or eject. I brought my 10mm Kimber for comparison, recoil of the 460 is a bit more but not bad at all! The drawback is the cost something reloading will ease a bit!

I shot off hand at 20 yards and it appears I'm a bit rusty see target below. I had some apprehension the first few rounds.... lol shot a bit high!

IMG_0501.jpeg

Here is a pic of the PT 911 with kit installed.

IMG_0502.jpeg

·
Premium Member
11,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I think I have to do it as well. Maybe I can rob a convenience store tomorrow to finance it.

It doesn't look that bad on the SS gun either. I have a S S Springfield that needs the upgrade. I do find it interesting that it would function fine with .45 acp with that monster spring.

·
Proud to be an American
3,491 Posts
I think I have to do it as well. Maybe I can rob a convenience store tomorrow to finance it.

It doesn't look that bad on the SS gun either. I have a S S Springfield that needs the upgrade. I do find it interesting that it would function fine with .45 acp with that monster spring.
I installed the 20# not the 24# you have to install the spring from the rear of the slide because of the muzzle brake and the hard part is keeping it from kinking and sliding out the side. It makes the .45 into another animal for certain! The 230gr. HP claim 1400 fps while the 185gr. at 1575 all the ammo was Underwood.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts