460 Rowland guidance.

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by NotMormon, May 9, 2012.

1. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

I really want one of these buggers but I really don't want to modify any 1911 currently in the cache. I was thinking about hitting the pawn shops to see what kind of acceptable beaters would be suitable for this conversion. Is this basically a "drop in" or does this require some special work by a special person? In other words, what would I be getting into?

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It's basically a drop-in. If you run into trouble Clark Custom Guns will make it right. Here's the contact person:

Renee Tyson
    Clark Custom Guns, Inc.
    Toll Free 888 458 4126
    M-F 8 am - 4 pm CST

Tell her canebrake said hey.

There are recommended guns that this kit is will fit. (More like stand-up to) If you install it in a lesser gun you do so at your own peril.

The CLARK 460 Rowland 1911 Kit

Here's a good read on the build:

Big Thunder II Vs. Fenrir: The 1911 .460 Rowland Build Off

Springfield Armory .460 Rowland

Several members here have the Rowland. I'm sure you can glean any help needed to have a successful conversion.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

UPDATE:

This conversion is a NON-DESTRUCTIVE modification to your (approved*) 1911.

* Available for the following government size 1911 style pistols . . .
    Colt
    Colt Gold Cup
    Springfield Armory
    Remington 1911 R1
    Kimber
    Norinco
    Sig Sauer
    Smith & Wesson
    Para Ordnance GI Expert​

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

So its a no go on a RIA I take it.

5. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

Moochass grassyass Cane! Let the search for a proper beater begin!

6. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

So withe the 460 kit i can still fire 45 acp and what does that other kit look like

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

there are also 460 kits for glock and xd/m

8. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I only oqn 1911s i was wanting to know what the thunder conversion looked like

9. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Do you think that punisher comp would cone in handy with the rowland kit

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

no. it needs a real compensator ;) the rowland kit comes with one attached. its not a good idea to remove or replace it. its designed specifically for that round and the spring weight and the way a 1911 works.

altering the formula on such a high pressure high recoil round can be catastrophic for your health

11. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Id get a scree on comp with three ports i want that recoil kit wit a full size comp

12. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

So.....Cane, I finally got through all 67582.3 pages of 460 Rowland build off and what not! Was it your pistol that caused the advisement against SS with CCG or was that already in place when you got the donor XSE? 14lb spring? WOW!!:eek: I use a 24lb wolf in my Delta Elite and the brass is still hard to find but that's with 175 silvertips around 1350fps. The 26lb causes infrequent cycling issues so back in the parts box it went.

You would think that in the 460, 24 and 26lb springs would be a little light...if anyone would care to elaborate on this, I'm all ears. When I find a suitable "beater" and I have my sh!t in a pile, I guess that I'll post my own little build thread. I'm going for the good ol' blued version if possible.

P.S. Where is that Dillinger guy that beat you to the finish line?:D

13. Transman

Transman New Member

Notmormon,if I may?My "beater",is one of my best,a Kimber TLE 2,sweet trigger,very accurate,100% reliable.Converted to 460,she's everybit as sweet,only better!If you select a "beater",then that's what you're gonna end up with,a "beater" in 460 Rowland.

14. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

You may and don't take "beater" as literal. I say "beater" as it may very well come from a pawn shop or the like and will probably not be very aesthetically pleasing when purchased. My main concern will be frame and slide fit and function. Appearance will drive the price down drastically...I hope.

Trust me, when finished, it will be quite the opposite of "beater". I'm having a hard time setting a budget for this baby and it looks like I'll have to pick out a name too.

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I don't think the SS guns are a show stopper, they just have a unique coefficient of friction that's different than carbon guns. CCG knew about the SS issue, just failed to tell me until I had pulled half my hair out.

My Colt hates grease and will only cycle properly with synthetic oil. After I got the lube thing sorted out I started stepping down spring weights and when I reached the 18# level CCG said they could not recomment to go lower (wink, wink) and I continued down to the 14# spring where the cycle time eliminated the FTE issue.

I have shot the 14# 460 for over a year now with no wear on the gun. I don't shoot a lot but enough that should the light spring be detrimental it certainly would have showed up by now.

And with the light spring I have no problem shooting 45 ACP in the same mag as the 460s. My daughter likes the 14# too and has no problem with racking the slide or recoil.

Dillinger is still lurking in the shadows. He sold the kit and the Kimber. I wish he would spend more time here, I miss our daily sparring matches.

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Quoted for truth. The HEADACHES make it a colt. :D

I still pop in every once in awhile as I miss some of the old guard. And the ancient guard that is Canebrake. :D

As for the conversion and the CCG kit I can highly recommend it! Granted, I only had a lowly Kimber, but it dropped right in and ran like a champ after one mild spring change. No wear on the gun (I imagine the Robar Coating probably had something to do with that as well) and when you touch that thing off EVERYBODY stops to wonder what you are shooting!!

The .460 Rowland is definitely as powerful and attention getting as advertised. I haven't fully closed the door on building another one, but I am just so focused on my latest, soon to be released addition from the good folks at NH. :D

17. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Would that be the Bob Marvel or Chris Costa Editition? T3 thin? Spike's Tactical version? Or do they have something secret it the works?

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Shhhhhhh. I'm not telling until production has caught up with my order. I was one of the first to order this model, but I am still looking at 6 to 9 months before delivery. Precision takes time, yo. :(

JD

19. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

That one word gave it away. When I finally, finally get my first 1911, im getting his "Precision" 22 conversion.

What is the difference between Marvel Precision's 22 conversion and Marvel Custom's 22 conversion?

20. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

Glad you could stop in Dillinger. I liked you and canes' build off thread but it gave me way too many expensive ideas. It's weird this thread popped back up as I just picked up my "beater" for the 460 this morning on my way to work. I had a tough time deciding what I was going to use as the base. It just about ended up being a Fusion frame and slide but then I remembered what my purpose was for building the 460 in the first place.....a trail gun.

I picked up a Norinco for $300. It's in good shape and rattles like a sumbitch. If the recoil isn't bad as far as up and back, I'm not going to change out the hammer or throw one of those awful whale tail (beaver) grip safeties on. The trigger group will get changed out for sure. Right now you need a come along and you can measure the take up in inches. Grip safety is really stiff also. Sure wish it didn't say made in China on the frame! Now I just need to order the kit and some brass.