460 Rowland external extractor?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Bigcat_hunter, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter New Member

Ok so I have been seriously thinking about converting one of my old Kimbers to this round for black bear. The Kimber has an external extractor. Would that be a problem? I have never had any problems with the extractor but this is a way higher pressure round. Does the kit com with an extractor? Its to late in the day to call Clark Custom and they apparently frown on emails. So does anyone have a clue about external extractors in 1911's with 460?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

it doesnt come with an extractor it uses the one on your current slide.

is the barrel cut different for an external extractor as opposed to internal on your current barrel

3. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter New Member

I dont believe so. I think everything is the same as with an internal extractor.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

then it shouldnt matter long as the barrel isnt any different and the frame is strong enough.

5. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed. That would mean a STEEL frame is needed for best results and longevity.

6. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter New Member

Its an Eclipse so all steel.

7. parinoid54

parinoid54 New Member

Clark lists what/which brands of 1911's that they give an okay to for their conversions. I believe yours is one of them. My S&W's have an external extractor, and I have had no problems.:)

8. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter New Member

I spoke with them this morning and they have not heard of any problems but they are also not aware of any customers that have the external extractor. I guess I'll just give it a try.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

Just be sure to wear glasses its one dirty spitter. Mine makes me look like i got black freckles on my face. The compensator sprays residue backwards.

10. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter New Member

That sucks. That might change my mind on the project.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

its worth it. course im using a shotgun powder from clark's load list. havent tried a different powder yet.

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Must be the powder jon.

I have used Cor-Bon and Georgia Arms factory loads with no black freckles to date.

My compensator tends to direct the gas up more than back.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

i figured it was the powder. but im cheap in a lot of ways and im gonna run that powder till its gone.

14. Transman

Transman New Member

I was down at Ga. Arms yesturday and was finally able to get some 185grn. 460 rounds.I've only been able to get 230grn till now.I can't wait to shoot these speedballs. My 460 is based on a Kimber TLE 2,no external extracter,no powder specks.Shoots fantastic! The Gal at Ga. Arms said they had just made up a batch of 1000,She sold me 200,said they had lots of back orders to fill.

15. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

To Jon or Cane, you two seem to be the most knowledgeable about the 1911s. I was reading about this 460 rowland and watched a few videos. I have a Springfield 1911 A1 loaded, all stainless steel. Can I switch it to 460 Rowland and how many rounds of abuse can the pistol take before parts ware out. The 460 looks sick and stats are awesome, but I don't want it breaking my pistol either. I read about 10 years ago that the 45 super was wearing parts out and some guns it would break parts, I don't want that to be mine.