.45acp

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by mymaro, Mar 14, 2013.

1. mymaro

mymaro New Member

So i just got into reloading and just picked up a rcbs 3 die set and was decapping and resizing my first batch and noticed some cases had small primers and most had large primers. Can i use small pistol primers in those?

2. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

You need to be careful with 45, some are large, some are small and they are NOT interchangeable. The small primers will fall out of the lp hole and the lp not fit the sp. You need to sort your brass...and be careful. I reload 45 and have that problem.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

Yes. Just do two different priming runs. I typically save my small primer brass for times when i cant pickup brass easily like hunting trips and such. Losing some annoying to load brass is no biggee in such cases

4. mymaro

mymaro New Member

Okay next question how much of the case do you flare?

5. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

Any idea why that is? Is it a different round type or a different mfg.? I haven't run across that yet.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

Just barely enough to get a bullet started. I like them to be able to sit on the case mouth with out much fiddling to get em square

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the ones i have run across with the small primers are the reloadable brass CCI Blazer ammo. there may be others out there, but so far these are the only ones i have seen so far.

8. Holmes375

Holmes375 New Member

Small primers are becoming more common with some of the "clean" ammo manufactured with indoor range application in mind.

9. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Just enough to start a bullet. Jacketed bullets dont take much but if you are using copper coated or lead they require a liitle more. You will want to crimp just enough to remove the flair.

10. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Yep, I think Federal also has some small primer .45ACP too. I sort mine while sizing and de-capping. Large go in a tub ready for priming and smalls go in a cartridge holder. When I get 100 smalls I switch over and prime them. Then switch back to large prior to charging.

As others have said, flare just enough for the bullet to sit in the case opening. Not too much as it can set the bullet too deep.

11. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I dump the SP .45.

These are/were loaded in lead free so-called clean or"green" ammo.

I don't think they are still being made, but I'm not certain.

12. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Thanks guys. I didn't look close enough and do not use small pistol primers for anything. I thought they were crimped primers like I find on some rifle ammo and just ream a bit and use the brass just fine. Could not do so with some Fed pistol brass, so I just tossed them and won't buy them. I have plenty of brass anyway.
    Got brass, bullets, and powder. Where is the CCI Genie? :(