45acp +p atomic ammunition

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by jjones45, Aug 27, 2013.

1. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Anybody ever use this ammunition. Its 185g at over 1200 fps. I just decided I wanted to try some +p 45 ammo and this stuff seems pretty nasty. At a buck a round it ain't cheap. These are suppose to expand like 175%

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Of course, you did verify that the platform that was doing the shooting is okay to fire +P.

+P will prematurely wear a firearm out, and if the firearm is not +P rated, you could have instant wear out.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

Why not get a 460rowland kit ?? You can get a 230grn going 1200 fps safely....

1200 fps is a little hot for 45acp.

4. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Yeah I have a couple of .45's rated for +p. I have never shot +p except in 9mm. I don't plan on feeding my guns a steady diet of this because of the premature wear issues. Just want to experiment with it and maybe carry it if its accurate and reasonably controllable. How does .45 +p feel compared to regular?

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

A little stiffer.

The +P should have more recoil, take longer to get back on target, and eject shells further. POI should be lower on target than normal .45s

6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

What pistol are you shooting +P ammo in?? It does matter with some if you need to upgrade recoil,fireing pin and mag springs. There is a world of difference between a 45 super and a 460 Rowland and the 45+P. An increase recoil spring weight of 2 to 4lbs in weight maybe just right for +p but then you will need to see if it will cycle your normal practice ammo. Buy a few springs from wolff to see what works best. If you have any faulures to chamber it may then need a heavier mag spring to keep up with a faster cycling slide.

I use a underwood 185+P in my ria 1911 5" with a 17lb spring now but will try a 18 and 20lb spring. Note where your pistol throws stock fmj ammo at. Change recoil spring to heavier spring till ammo falls in the same area from your feet. Not the best way to explain how to pick the right spring but it gets you there.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013