.45ACP or .45GAP

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by eborden1122, Sep 27, 2011.

1. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Whats the difference between 45acp and 45gap?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

gap has a thicker web at the case head.

one theory: glocks have a fatally flawed barrel design in the chambers of their 45s ar unsupported. lots of kabooms, so much so that instead of redesigning the chamber glock introduced the 45gap with its reinforced case to get around the issue.

most liekly is they are simply using glock marketing to sucker people into buying a new proprietary cartridge chambering.

3. eborden1122

Thanks bro, i was just curious. I dont think i have even seen a 45 GAP round. Do they look different? Thanks, Ed

4. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

The .45 GAP is a shorter cased version of the .45 ACP. It's just like the .45 Schofield compared to the .45 Colt.

5. knfxda

knfxda New Member

GAP on left, ACP on right:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. eborden1122

Thanks for the pic. While i am on the subject and since there is a pic of the SA XD. Are they pretty good pistols, same, better than a Glock? I dont know much about them. Is it another Glock wannabe or is it for real. Thanks, Ed

7. knfxda

knfxda New Member

The XD's are absolutely for real. They are not GLOCK knock-offs. There are some very real differences between the XDs/XDMs and the GLOCKS.

Personally, I perfer the XD(M) over the XD and I prefer both over the GLOCK. Not meant as a bash of GLOCKs, it's a matter of personal preference.

I'll use a sneaker analogy. To me GLOCK is Nike and SA is Adidas. I don't like the me-to factor of Nikes, but more importantly, Adidas fit my feet better. Could I buy a pair of Nikes and be happy, sure. But I know that the Adidas fit me better. Nikes might fit you better.

Back to the guns: The grip angle on the XD/XD(m) and the GLOCK are different. The XD/XD(m) has a more "natural" grip angle which it essentially shares with the 1911. The XD/XD(m)s have a grip safety, GLOCKs do not. Proabably subjective, but the trigger on the XD(m) is better than the GLOCK (can't really speak to the XD on this). XD(m) have "Match Grade" barrels. I like the feel of the stippling and the shape of the grip on the XD(m) over both the XD and the GLOCK. XD(m)s are little heavier than GLOCKs, and that is a good thing. The additional weight does a better job of reducing the perceived recoil (at least in my hands). It's about balance, and I find the XD(m) to be a more balanced pistol and the GLOCK to be a little to bare bones, for me. GLOCKS are fine guns that will "always fire" and there are a legion of GLOCK fans out there.

Your best bet is to try both and see which one speaks to you.

To me, GLOCKs are the gun that people pick when they don't want to evaluate which gun is best for me. GLOCKs are ubiquitous. Too many (not all) GLOCK purchasers just want someone to tell them which gun is best. "Just by Nikes." so to speak. THAT IS NOT TO SAY THAT THE GLOCK ISN'T/CAN'T BE THE BEST GUN FOR MANY, MANY PEOPLE.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

About 99 years.

John M Browning developed the .45 ACP in 1904 for use in his prototype Colt semi-automatic .45 pistol. (You know the one that eventually became the M1911 pistol adopted by the United States Army in 1911.)

Ernest Durham at CCI/Speer developed a cartridge for Glock in 2003 that would equal the power of the .45 ACP but was shorter. Part of the request was the case head must be stronger than the APC round. (I wonder why Jon? :confused:)

I'm going to wait until 2103 and if the .45 GAP is still around I may consider using it. But I think the .45 ACP will be preparing to celebrate it's 200th birthday and I'll probably just keep shooting it. :p

And to your question about the XD, yes it is for real. You may notice that the XD has a grip safety. It's another J M Browning design incorporated in his 100 year old M1911.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011