.45acp for hogs and cougars

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by lbwar15, Dec 5, 2012.

1. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Next weekend I'm going hunting for the first time this season. (I know I'm getting a late start) we have ben having a lot of hog problems. Normally I would just use my 30-06. But sometimes when putting up a stand, throwing out corn (not to hunt over of corse) it gets left in the truck.
    Also at night when leaving the stand there have ben a few cougars sighted. And working a bolt if I miss the first time might not be a option.
    But I do always have my XD .45 and I don't have to work a bolt on it. At first I was thanking just any old fmj would work. But now I'm wondering if there is anything better. So what do y'all thank would be good to use in this situation?

2. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I'm thanking maybe some buffalo bore.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Cougars are not that tough. A .22 mag is fine (if you are hunting THEM). A .45 should be adequate if they are hunting YOU.

Hogs on the other hand ARE tough. A .45 will kill one, but only with a well placed shot and some luck. 10mm or .460 Rowland for an auto loading pistol.

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

The 45 ACP is a poor choice for shooting hogs. I have seen a few hogs shot with them,and very few even slow down or go down after being shot with that caliber.
    Hollow points don't penetrate enough,FMJ's just make a small hole through them and unless it's a very good shot,it will just wound them. Lead bullets are the best choice,but most are too slow to do the damage needed to down the animal.
    A 40 S&W will do a much better job than the 45 ACP. If I use a pistol,it is almost always my 44 Magnum.It always works on them!

5. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

The problem is at the moment .45 is my only choice. So I guess I'm going to go with some buffalo bore 230 +p fmj.

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I would not choose to use a .45 for hogs.

If i had to, I'd use ball ammo for increased penetration.

BTW if you kill a cougar, they're far better tasting than venison.:)

7. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I agree .45=bad idea. But it's a last resort thing. I am not intently hunting hogs with a .45acp. I knew it was not a good choice. Just when I'm at the hunting camp working I won't to have a side arm just in case my 30-06 is in the truck. At the moment .380 and .45acp is my only choices. I would use a rock before the .380. I am planing on getting the .460 conversion for my XD just for this reason. Just don't have the money right now.

So ball ammo. Any specific kind?

8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Just my opinion, but I think you'd be better off spending the money on a good used .357 magnum.:)

9. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I'm about to buy my wife a new one anyway.

10. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Funny, thought this might be one for the Tail Trail...

11. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

If I were hunting hogs from a stand, I'd use that .30-06 and take the scope off of it. Use it like it was intended. I sure as hell would not want to have to track down a hog wounded with a .45.

12. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I give up.

Attached Files:

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

A rancher friend shot a lion this week at very close range. He had dismounted his horse when a rather large Mtn. Lion advanced from a stand of Juniper. He engaged the cat with the first round from a .40 Caliber auto the lion contnued to advance. The lion fell stone dead at his feet with 5 rounds in his body. It is one thing to kill a treed cat quite another to take one in attack mode.:(

14. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Hogs are tough, and when injured can be mean. .45 is not a good idea. If you are going to hunt, hunt with something that can provide a clean kill, or don't hunt.

15. W. C. Quantrill

[​IMG]
    If you are determined to hunt with a .45, then use a real .45, such as my Smith 25-5 in .45 Colt. It carries enough energy to get the job done. The ACP with only 400 or so foot pounds of energy is just not the critter to stop either a hog or a mountain cat if it has determination on its mind.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

i carry a 45 xdm as my hunting backup and feel safe enough in hog land with it. i use fmj loaded to max safe loads similar to buffalo bore. when shooting animals expansion isnt that important its always shot placement regardless of caliber. shoot a big cat off center with a 44 and he will keep coming just as much as an off center with a 45. hit him in the vitals with either and he will stop, hopefully before doing a lot of damage.

critters intent on eating you seldom stop in one shot regardless. 45acp is adequate for anything in north america backup wise short of a moose elk bear intent on stomping you flat.

there are 460 rowland conversions for xd/xdm which would be ideal for a defensive anti-animal gun. http://460rowland.com/springfield-armory-xd-45/

but just like self defense anywhere else, rule 1 is: have a gun. if all you got is less than ideal its better than a stick...

17. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Once agin.

Attached Files:

18. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Thank you lord finally something I can work with lol. I'm glad you read the other post. I can always count on you. I have ben looking at the .460 conversion but I don't have the time or the money to get it. I was thanking the buffalo bore fmj +p. should I use the hard cast or just the regular fmj

19. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

If that is all you have use it, but as stated by many already it is not the 'weapon of choice' when it comes to hogs.:) Make the 06 do the job for you!;)
    Have a good hunt!:cool:

20. W. C. Quantrill

If you are going to go with the hot and heavy loads, then get an appropriate rated spring to absorb that recoil. You might want to go 18 or 19 pounds. I would just take the scope off the rifle and use the iron sights. BTW, where are you going to find both feral hogs and mountain kitties at the same time?