.45acp carry options

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Glockpotion23, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Glockpotion23

Glockpotion23 New Member

Hey guys and gals, i am stuck yet again on pistol options. I am looking for a .45acp that i can carry; compact or sub only. I carry a .40 cal now and have little to no issues. I plan on buying a G30sf in a month or two but would like another to carry. I looked at the G27(i know thats a .40) but IMO it wasnt that much smaller than the 30. I am a little suspect on the G36, it should be glock perfection plus it seems to be the ultimate carry size but have heard it has issues plus i am not a fan of the 6 rd capacity. I am open to any suggestions that wont break the bank.

2. orangello

orangello New Member

3. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Have you thought about a Commander sized 1911 or the new Springfield XDm 3.8 Compact .45ACP?

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

here is my everyday carry. a colt new agent in 45acp 7+1 barely bigger than my palm. its a very comy carry gun as i carry iwb using a galco tuc424. i do want one of those new xdm 3.8 45acp's but i want to see one and hold one before i buy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My g36 has been flawless since the wrong slide release installed by the previous owner was replaced with the correct one. My XD45 compact is a little bigger but about 8 oz heavier loaded 10+1. The grip on the g30 is a little big for me.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  6. Glockpotion23

Glockpotion23 New Member

Thats why i love this forum...instant suggestions; thanks guys and i will definitely consider all those:)

7. Jkl-28

Jkl-28 New Member

That's a good looking pistol, and it looks like it would be a great carry weapon
    How much did that run you? (if you don't mind me asking)
    And how do you like it? (does it have any sights?

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/few-my-favorite-pistols-36574/

i THINK i paid around 685$ 2 years ago. i dont remember what the tax and bg fee was. im sure they are a little more now. i bought it shortly after jim doyle the liberal fascist vetoed ccw in wisconsin. all the ccw carry guns around the state got marked to rock bottom prices. so i bought it cuz i knew it would eventually get passed

it has a trench sight which is the same style used on the old SAA colts from befor the turn of the last century. its a very fast accurate sight for Self Defense shooting. nothing to get snagged on clothing. sights just arent used in sd actions. its too fast. this isnt a room clearing securing the house type gun its an "OHSHT THAT M*&&**^^%TH*&F&R IS SHOOTING AT ME!!!!!" type gun. its for that 0-7 yards that sd action takes place

with concentration i can keep all 8 shots inside a mansized silhoutte at 25 yards. for SD range see the link above

i love it as a carry weapon. its light weight very slim compact. there arent many if any 9mm that come close in size weight and capacity much less 45acp chamberings.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  9. jimbobpissypants

jimbobpissypants New Member

My favorite ccw is similar to the New Agent. It' s the Colt Defender. Nearly the same gun, but with sights.

10. Jkl-28

Jkl-28 New Member

Ok... I actually did some looking around online on the new agent after I saw your pics, and now I'm really thinking about getting one!
    I've read a lot of reviews and saw some videos and it seems like a great gun to carry! Now I just need to safe up my pennies and then find one.

11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

You really should stay with a glock as the feel and natural point will be different with anything else you pick up BUT the kahr cw45 is a smaller ,lighter and more compact option. Also controlable. Also good shop around price should be lower at around 425.

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a G36 and an XD45 compact. Nothing points as well or naturally as a 1911 at least for me. I can not handle much more than 30oz on my hip or I would still have a 1911. If I ran across a deal on a Defender or New Agent light weight, I would trade my G36 without hesitation.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

new agents turn up at gunshows around here pretty frequent cuz people buy em and try target shooting at long range and get disapointed sell them. i saw one at the last show for 450$ looked like it had never chambered a round!!

the new agents are pretty much ohsht short range point shooting type guns

14. Glockpotion23

Glockpotion23 New Member

which glock would you suggest? the 27? even though its a .40.

15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Had the XD45 too- GREAT gun-
    Got talked out of it - Made me a offer i cud'nt refuse & all that :rolleyes:

16. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I had a g27 and to me compairing it to a g22 the g27 was harder for me to control. And still a fat gun. I have shot a friends g30 and I did find that it was was easier to control compared to the g27 and I have never touched a 36 to know how the smaller grip feels but being as thru the whole package is a bit thinner??? If you keep your glock 40 you can use the mags as back up and at the range with a slip over grip exentder for the g27. Or add a +2 to one of the 27 mags and carry that as backup. Try to rent one of the G27's and see what you think. Darn sure felt different from the G22.

I see no real difference between a 45 and a 40 or even a 9mm in stopping power to make any real difference in what I carry. The 45 cost the most reguardless if you reload or not. None are guarrentied to do the job with one shot, soooo. Practice double taps. I still own a 40 , but sold the glock 27 and bought a sw40ve for a house gun only because of the amount of ammo i have. Think about how many calibers you really want to have around for defence. If you have a 40 now and then buy a 45 maybe sell the 40 and but another 45 glock??

I carry a 9mm. I shoot it more than i ever did the 40. And my wife shoots a 9mm. And because we both shoot them way more and the fact there cheaper to buy ammo for or reload I am better with them.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  17. jerry12

jerry12 New Member

I have a Glock 23 and i love the size of it for open carry plus a Glock 21 but it is a little to big for me to carry so it stands guard in the bed room and two weeks ago i got a Glock 30SF that i carry along as my LC9 that is in a pocket. Some of the Glock Gen 4 have giving trouble and Glock is replacing the extractor Assembly in them i think. I hope some thing i said helps you and the reason for the Glock 30SF is i wanted the 45ACP power to carry.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  18. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

Its the recoil spring assembly for the recall.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

19. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

JTJ maybe you should give the bigger kahr line a look . They point like a 1911 just thinner and lighter in weight and other than the nice smooth DA trigger instead of a box stock sa 5lb trigger the i9ii's come with it may be what you want. Mhttp://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-TP45.

20. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

My everyday carry of a 45ACP calibre is a compact S&W 457.

Attached Files: