.458 socom

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by meyer4589, Mar 8, 2011.

1. meyer4589

meyer4589 New Member

Does anyone have any experience with the .458 Socom. I'm looking into making it my new deer rifle, so far i have researched complete rifles, building a rifle from a purchased lower, and I have even looked into a custom barrel for my T/C Encore.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

2. meyer4589

meyer4589 New Member

Does anyone have any experience with the .458 Socom. I'm looking into making it my new deer rifle, so far i have researched complete rifles, building a rifle from a purchased lower, and I have even looked into a custom barrel for my T/C Encore.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
    meyer4589 is online now Report Post

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I have combined these threads in the AR section as we have a couple of members that have .458 Socom's and will be along shortly.

Bottom line, this is round that is basically the modern equivalent of the older .45-70

I mean a serious, SERIOUS 150-200 yard animal killer, regardless of bush, hide or size.

God help you past 400 yards, because it will be a MOONSHOT, but if you need game on the table, with a one shot bleeder and very little chase, the .458 Socom is for you.

JD

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

the 458 socom will drop a whitetail like it got poleaxed. used my socom this past deer season took two with it. neither took a step, just dropped where they stood. as a hunting round its superb. almost no meat damage due to the low velocity there is no grenade effect on exit wounds like you find with traditional deer rounds like 30-06. you can eat right up to the bullet hole.

if you want a cheaper version just get a 45-70 its pretty much identical. if you want one badass autoloader that is 45cal the socom is it. you just better reload if you plan on doing even light practice with it. 56-57$ per 20 shelf ammo.

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Meyer,

I have shot boar with it and it makes them DRT (DEAD RIGHT THERE!)
    It is a good round and a hammer! Recoil of a 20 ga. Shotgun. And if you have an AR already all you need is an upper. Uses the 5.56 Mag!:)