458 Socom Broke my lower

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by JonM, Aug 13, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

well it broke the cheap mim bolt catch lever this morning. its not a RRA part

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i think that bolt catch came from a gunshow parts bin.

anyone got a source for a better catch??

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Would the catch assembly from an AR10 lower be more robust than the AR15? Would it fit?

Just a question, but doesn't the catch engage as the bolt returns forward on an empty mag...does the .458 SOCOM need a heavier buffer spring to absord more energy before it allows the bolt to cycle back? Reason I ask is that if the bolt is really slamming forward with enough force to shatter the bolt catch, other less noticeable damage may be occurring.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

the pics dont show enough detail of the mim. it looks like very fine bubbles all through the part. lots of pitting where it wasnt formed right. the socom uses a standard buffer with a standard rifle tube spring. rra also sends an heavier car length spring if you have a car length adjustable stock buffer tube.

it has destroyed 3 scopes to date. i think im just gonna use irons on it till i decide to get a niteforce scope

i dont know if the ar10 uses the same ill send rra a email its a good idea

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Sorry to see that Jon,I could've picked you up some spares today,I went to a gun show.
    I also came home with a new RRA 458 SOCOM upper.I can't wait to get some ammo loaded up and shoot it.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

unfortunately a gunshow is where i got the part that broke heh.

6. Gloves

Gloves New Member

John, Add that to the list of parts that the .458 will break on your AR. Did the .458 actually break it or was it an un-related break?

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

It was a cheap unknown brand. Broke while firing the 458