.458 socom ar big bore

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by JeffSSig, Jan 18, 2012.

1. JeffSSig

JeffSSig New Member

Just Love the power. I built this 458 from the gorund up not long ago and thought Id share it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

3. fmj

fmj Active Member

TOO damn sweet!!

What kind of range and accuracy do you get outta that rig!?!?

I am gonna buy an AR in the next couple months and would like a bit of feed back. 458 is LEGAL to hunt deer with here...that would definatley give it a leg up on the 5.56 if the range and accuracy were comparable.

I wanted the AR 10...but discarded that idea due to weight of the gun, ammo cost and lack of real world usefulness here. Ar-15 in 5.56 is in the lead simply due to ammo cost/availability.

4. JeffSSig

JeffSSig New Member

fmj

This 458 is not light. I think when I put mine on the scale it was around 11 pounds. Nor is the ammo cheap. 3-5$ a round based on what type you buy. At 100yds i can shoot 2 1/2 in groups. I havent shot it past 100 yds but it would take a Deer down very easy.
    I think you can get 250gr to 650gr bullets for it. I shoot the 350gr and 400gr. Also it will use the 223/5.56 mags and any Milspec AR lower.

5. fmj

fmj Active Member

WOW, was just pricing the ammo...STUPID money!! Makes 308 seem affordable like .22 LR....like $50 a 20!! Thats like 500 mag. prices!

Guess its back to the 5.56 :(

6. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

It looks very good from here!

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

definately gotta reload for it. brings the cost per round waaaaay down to affordable range

8. fmj

fmj Active Member

For a poor peasant like myself i have to reload for everything anymore!

I bet the 458 brass and bullets are salty to boot....

9. JeffSSig

JeffSSig New Member

Im not sure about the cost of brass and such to reload. I will find out soon. I did buy some dies for it but have yet to order any reloading stuff. I just been using the factory ammo from SBR. I have seen used brass selling around 1.00$

Just did a quick search and it seems brass is down to around .75 each now.
    Gettin better!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  10. fmj

fmj Active Member

$1.25 a CARTRIDGE!?!?!?

11. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Midway sells brass,but I usually just buy mine straight from Starline Brass.
    I'd suggest getting some Imperial Sizing Wax to use for sizing your cases,the 458 brass is known to stick in the sizing die,and after trying out my usual case lubes,I decided to try Imperial.It flat works excellent.

I've had some really good loads with Remington 300gr JHP & 405gr FN,and I'm working on some with the Nosler C/T Silvertip 300gr and the Hornady 325gr FTX bullets.
    I have several loads that shoot around .75 moa out of this beast.

12. jd45

jd45 New Member

Did anyone watch the season finale of Sons of Guns? If so what did you think? Just curious, jd45

13. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Well I saw it coming... and it did make me consider running a hydrolic buffer:p
    I think it's sad that Vince was pushed as far as he was, what with a pregnant wife, and a nephew fighting cancer, oh, and his dog having to be put down... I really feel for the guy. I mean, Will was begging for him to quit...

14. jd45

jd45 New Member

I have to say I suspected that because he thought he deserved to get the project, cause it supposedly was "so important" and he has the expertise to make it happen, and didn't, he sabotaged it by putting the wrong buffer in it before he sent it out. I could be wrong, but why was Will begging for him to quit, anyway? I'll appreciate your feedback, jd45

15. fmj

fmj Active Member

Makes one wonder where Red jacket is going to get a valid FFL license NOW!

I am assuming they were working under Vinces license.

16. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

actually if you watch when he received it from kris, out told off the table. obviously he's having issues with his wife's pregnancy, but when he mentioned putting some miles on the Harley, he was going to St. Jude to see his nephew. I suspect there are many underlying issues.

17. jd45

jd45 New Member

Thanx pagj17....I agree. Be well, jd45

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

MaYbe that "general" who in profile looked an aweful lot like the producer of the show will apply for an ffl lol

Im sorry but generals dont drive out to a desert to "test" weapons. They send the firearms to test location then read the report when its done. Then congress has to approve any new weapon procurements if im not mistaken.

19. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Well, In it they said retired and so he's just another lobbyist.

20. theboarbuster

theboarbuster New Member

I have been shooting hogs with my 458 since the great emaculation took place. I have killed over 200 hogs with it and there isnt anything better for brinning home the bacon.
    The Son's of Gun's show is put on for a different crowd. The target audiance is city slickers and armchair warriors. The show they did with the 458 didnt give much credit to Marty and now they have reinvented the wheel. All the drama over a weapon that has been in production since the 60's and they put a piston system in it. Wow
    Its a good thing that General showed up to see this NEW weapons platform. I bet we will hear them call it an "assualt rifle" instead of an AR. Its good tv but thats it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012