Firearms Talk banner

.454 Casull

4K views 41 replies 21 participants last post by  Notrighty 
#1 ·
Air gun Black Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory
My new acquisition, I just couldn't help myself at $599. Haven't made it the range yet but I am really looking forward to it.

See less See more
#4 ·
. I haven’t fired one either...lol. My experience ends at a .480 Ruger, but I loved it.

Good price on the Ruger!

I have this one on layaway. It was $901. $977 OTD price. If I'm lucky I get it paid for and open it from under the tree on Christmas day, a gift from Santa. If not, it will be my first firearm purchase in 2018. View attachment 179524
I have absolutely no use for it but I had to have it. I've been slobbering over it for six months every time I walk into the store. It knocked me out of a Marlin 336 XTR for my Christmas gift.
Very nice!!! I have absolutely no use for mine either, thankfully I rarely buy based on use or need or my collection would be extremely limited..:)

#3 ·
Good price on the Ruger!

I have this one on layaway. It was $901. $977 OTD price. If I'm lucky I get it paid for and open it from under the tree on Christmas day, a gift from Santa. If not, it will be my first firearm purchase in 2018.
Trigger Air gun Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

I have absolutely no use for it but I had to have it. I've been slobbering over it for six months every time I walk into the store. It knocked me out of a Marlin 336 XTR for my Christmas gift.

#5 ·
View attachment 179521 My new acquisition, I just couldn't help myself at $599. Haven't made it the range yet but I am really looking forward to it.
Nice pick up! I got to believe that was a great price!

Only fired .454 Casull a few time, like 3 rounds only. It was a blast though, recoil wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. That was the first and only bigger caliber pistol round ever fired by myself.

Congratulations!

#9 ·
Same reason that I bought my Alaskan 44 mag. Not a very practical revolver in most situations, but then again life would be pretty boring w/o guns like these.

View attachment 179542
That is a beautiful revolver Alaskan. If I were looking at a double action .454 that is the one I would have went with....well, the exact same revolver that Greg_r has on layaway.
I really think the .44mag is the best big bore going and if I could only have one .44mag is the one in my collection that I will never let go.

#11 ·
gee Mongo, what did you expect? you join a gun forum, with other gun enthusiasts. did you really think we are going to try and talk out of buying another gun? seriously? :p

in all seriousness, i'm kind of digging that Alaskan the more i see of it! and yes, what caliber to get. :)

#16 ·
the S&W 460 was one of those i was considering as well, because it could fire three different cartridges. presently i have narrowed it down to the Raging Bull in 454 Casull, because of price mainly, but when i get ready to actually buy one, if i happened to find a used S&W 460 with the 6.5" barrel at a decent price, there is a good chance i might buy it instead.
A friend is a fan of the 454 and the Raging Bull. He has the Raging Judge in 454/410, the Raging Bull 454 with the 2 inch barrel, ( I have shot that one, it's a blast literally and figuratively!) and the 8 inch one. He says they are hand fitted at Taurus. He also likes the double latch, one in the traditional spot behind the trigger and one in front of the trigger. Yes, it takes two hands to open one!

I was going to order the 454 Snubby. I can't deny I like It. But it was less than $50 less expensive than the Ruger. So i went with the Ruger. Plus the owner said he did not care if it took me a year to pay for it, so long as i made a payment on it at least once a month.

The Raging Bull is a looker as well though!
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material

#17 ·
I landed my Raging BUll last month after trying for several years to find one.
I enjoy my Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag, but the .454 is NOT a fun gun to shoot. Braced for it and weighing 270, this thing still drove me two steps back shooting Critical Defense loads.

Table Wood Font Pen Stationery

#19 ·
Nice buy. I'll stick with 44 mag though as my biggest hand gun round. Im not getting any younger and i think anything else would be to much.
i want to be known as the crazy old man in the neighborhood who shoots big honking guns!:p

#20 ·
Nice buy. I'll stick with 44 mag though as my biggest hand gun round. Im not getting any younger and i think anything else would be to much.
That's the conclusion I have come to as well for myself, I once thought that a Desert Eagle .50 would be nice to have until the last time I handled one and came to my senses, my .44 Redhawk is already at my upper limit of carrying around.

#21 ·
Groo here
Careful with the 454!!!
There were some older loads [FA load data] that I would not put through the
newer 454's.[ Except FA]
I have 2# FA 's and a Taurus .
As much as I like the Taurus I doubt it would like Full bore original loads that get close to the 460!
Modern loading manuals are ok though.

#22 ·
Just a quick update. After 2 1/2 months of owning this thing I was finally able to make it to an outdoor range a couple weeks ago. Excellent shooter, very happy I picked it up. I put fifty 300 grain rounds through it at an advertised 1900 fps, it was very accurate and certainly lets you know you touched something off but there were no ill effects on my hand the next day. It has noticeably more kick than my Super Blackhawk but the Bisley grip made a noticeable difference in the felt recoil vs. the SBH's plow handle grips if that makes sense.
The .454's very sight on accurate while the .45lc's shot high to point of aim, this is the same with my .44mag vs. .44spl rounds out of the SBH.
Anyway, if you want to knock some steel, fruit, 2 liters etc.. around at an outdoor range the Casull is a serious grin inducer, kind of makes you giggle like an idiot...:D

#24 ·
I'm in Colorado. I can't answer for the .460, until the .454 a .480 was the heaviest hitter I ever fired. I would imagine that my Ruger, next to maybe an Alaskan is one of the more stout shooting big bore revolvers out there. When compared to a typical .460 that weighs almost 1 lb more and is ported, I bet the .460 is a nicer shooter, I will let the .460 shooters answer to that but that is my guess.
If you have never shot a big bore (.44 mag or hot .45lc and up) I would definitely give that a go first before jumping in to anything more.

#25 ·
i agree. the 454 Casull is a stout round! and a person should have some experience with the 44 Magnum before stepping up to a 454 Casull. it's not first time shooters cartridge by any means!

weight and porting do a lot in helping tame some of the recoil. how well the pistol fits your hand also plays a part on managing recoil as well. the ability to manage the recoil better will aid in being able to shoot the pistol accurately.

Reactions: kfox75
#26 ·
TARGA, thanks for the info.
I've fired the model 29 (44 mag) with full house loads. I've also fired the blackhawk Ruger with full house loads. Believe it or not, the blackhawk is more friendly to my hand.
I have a model S&W 57 which is 41 magnum. The walnut grips eat my hand, the pachmayer grips hurt my hand, the ben hogue finger groove grips make it manageable again with full house loads.
I just wanted to know if my hand would be able to handle the GRIP on the 460.
Guess I will have to wait to find someone who owns one.
I've tried to rent one at the three indoor ranges hear in metro Phoenix but the biggest they got is the 44 mag.

#27 ·
TARGA, thanks for the info.
I've fired the model 29 (44 mag) with full house loads. I've also fired the blackhawk Ruger with full house loads. Believe it or not, the blackhawk is more friendly to my hand.
I have a model S&W 57 which is 41 magnum. The walnut grips eat my hand, the pachmayer grips hurt my hand, the ben hogue finger groove grips make it manageable again with full house loads.
I just wanted to know if my hand would be able to handle the GRIP on the 460.
Guess I will have to wait to find someone who owns one.
I've tried to rent one at the three indoor ranges hear in metro Phoenix but the biggest they got is the 44 mag.
the best way i could describe it is, the 454 Casull is like a "hot" 44 Magnum on steroids!

the grip is very important once you get into some of the larger bore magnum pistols. how well it fits your hand, does play a lot into how well you will be able to manage the recoil. i have seen people hit in the forehead from the recoil and even people that have sprained wrists from shooting them. they can, and have hurt people from the massive recoil. also most of these type pistols tend to be a bit on the heavier side compared to other pistols. while that weight can be helpful in helping manage recoil, if not controlled, that weight from the excessive recoil gets moving around. seen a guy at the range many years ago, that ended up with huge gash above his right eyebrow that needed stitches from trying to shoot a huge honking 44 Magnum revolver one-handed!

Reactions: kfox75
#33 ·
Very nice revolver, I have shot .454 in square butt revolvers and to me the felt recoil was worse than my Model 83 FA with a round butt in .500WE. I load it down for fun and it is like a .45 Colt, but the factory Grizzly and Jamison loads are a might starchier. I have no real need for such power in the east here but it is so much fun to shoot although sparingly with factory loads, expensive and easy to develop a big flinch if you overdo it,,, enjoy the revolver it is a nice one for sure.

#35 ·
formerCav, I could shoot .45 Colt in it, but never have. Freedom Arms indicates this would void the warranty. This does not create an issue for me because I've never been interested in shooting, or loading, for .45 Colt anyway. But I shot, and loaded for, .45 ACP a bunch over the years, so the ACP cylinder was the way to go for me......ymmv

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.