Firearms Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up recently. Originally thought it was one of the US Marshall’s run but alas, no. Still very much what I gave for it. The DEA insignia was likely added later as these were widely issued LEO sidearms at one time.

While not a full range report, I was able to function test the pistol yesterday. Just a couple of stumps and cans so no targets to show but I’m very happy. Gun feels great in the hand. Recoil is very manageable and it was easy to hit with. Including cans at 25 yards. Only ran a box of aluminum cased ball through it. Don’t have enough .45 HP on hand to worry about that at the moment.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Nice find.

I've been waiting for one of these to come along at the right price (either 45 or 9mm) to do an ASP conversion on. Just for the fun of it. Using most of Paris Theodore's original design elements, with the exception of the Guttersnipe sight. I'm thinking more of a trough type sight like on the Kimber Ultra RCP.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those were originally built on the model 39. A well used 39-2 would not be a large investment.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Those were originally built on the model 39. A well used 39-2 would not be a large investment.
Yes I know but a lot less work starting with a compact.

Reactions: NHForester

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
FYI: a pawn shop in Findlay, Ohio has a 39-2 posted on Armslist. Nickel plated with a little pitting, wood grips. $600.
Maybe I'm cheap but $600 sounds way high for that gun.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Nice find.

I've been waiting for one of these to come along at the right price (either 45 or 9mm) to do an ASP conversion on. Just for the fun of it. Using most of Paris Theodore's original design elements, with the exception of the Guttersnipe sight. I'm thinking more of a trough type sight like on the Kimber Ultra RCP.

I’ve often thought a Devel or ASP S&W project would be kind of cool.

Reactions: oO_Rogue_Oo

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I’ve often thought a Devel or ASP S&W project would be kind of cool.
I'll find the right donor gun eventually. Can't wait :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess I never noticed before do all S&W 3rd gen autos like the same because that 4516 looks suspiciously like my 6906
makes me wish I bought two when I had the chance. Nice looking pistol.
They do have a certain common aesthetic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice pistol , I have a 4566 in 45acp for many years , there built like tanks and will last forever.
Be Safe out there.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'm also a fan of these 3 Gens. Very cool pistols. I just wish the numbering made sense. I've seen huge flow charts to help understand it.... lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts