45 super

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by jjones45, Nov 2, 2013.

1. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

What exactly is 45 super and what do I have to do to shoot it out of my 45s?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

not something you really want to do with most 45acp barrels. they just arent designed for that.

i went 460rowland which is a much better design than the 45 super. the kits are pretty cheap and exist for xd/m glock 1911.
    the biggest issue with 45super is mixing them with regular 45acp. a regular acp wont chamber a rowland case as its a bit longer but otherwise externally identical. internally its got a thicker base meaning the case can handle the pressure.

if you choose to build up a super buy 460 rowland brass and trim them down cheaper than looking for super brass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Super

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/rowland.htm

the 460 is a beast and brings the 45 square into 44magnum status

3. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The .45 Super is made from the .451 Detonics. There are some 1911 that are rated for the .45 Super and .45 ACP. The recoil spring weight has to be increased. A firing pin that will not allow primer flow into the pin port.
    My choice is the .460 Rowland. It is a much better choice.:)

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with th 45 Super. is it the same as a 45 Winchester Magnum?

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

no not at all!!

the 45magnum is closer to 460 rowland but is capable of using 300grain bullets. the super is the weaker of the three.

460 rowland(by a little)>45magnum~44magnum>45super>45acp

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

A standard 1911 can not be converted to the .45 Win Mag. The Win Mag operates at very high breech pressures. This is the some what rare LAR Grizz which has been out of production for over 20 years.:) The black steel rounds are .45 ACP for comparison. They will not function in the Grizz. This gun also has a .357 Mag. Conv.:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  7. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Sounds like the 460 might be a great hunting round as well

8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

So what's your impressions with the 460 Rowland?

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

I find it quite unpleasant out of a 1911. More recoil torque than a desert eagle 50. Mainly because the gun is much lighter. A 44 revolver is easier to control. Eye protection is a must since you get a lot of backblast in the face from the brake. This is not a good self defense round.

I got my rowland kit before the xdm versions came out. I think this would be a better round in a glock or xdm simply because the wider grip let's you control the rotational torque and distributes the felt recoil better.

Where it really shines is if you load it to about 1100-1200fps its quick fast stays on target it would be ideal at that velocity if the compensator wasn't there.

Over powered semiauto pistol rounds are best left to revolvers simply because of the recoil forces involved. They are fun to shoot a little but aren't good for self defense. The rowland would make a fabulous sixgun cartridge if it had a rim but that spot is already taken by the 45colt when used in a blackhawk.

10. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

So for a 45 super all I need is a barrel and stronger recoil spring?

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

you will also need brass able to handle the pressure.