.45 Super and .450 SMC, obsolete?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by MisterMcCool, Aug 18, 2014.

1. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Did I miss the boat on these? DoubleTap still offers ammunition for them and it looks amazing!
    What is required to convert a 1911 to safely function with these powerful loads? I found a company that makes recoil reducing guide rods, but I don't know that it would be sufficient.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

if your looking at that power level 460 rowland is what you need

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/rowland.htm

it will launch a 185jhp at 1500fps... and supposedly a 80grain bullet to 3000fps not sure i believe that as ive never seen a 80 grain 45acp bullet.

if you load your own all you need is regular setup for 45acp. the only difference is the cases are a bit longer so the only adjustment different than 45acp is seating.

ive got one of these kits and dont use it anymore. ive also got quite a few new starline pieces of brass and some once fired.

its a very stout round in a autoloader.

3. MisterMcCool

What a beast! If all it takes is a compensated barrel and stiffer springs to tame that round, surely I can build a super.
    Thanks Jon. My wife will not be as pleased as I am.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

this.

best candidates are springfields and colts. stay away from aluminum and poly frames.

if you go that way there are a couple of companies making the conversion. go with the clark customs. if you have issues installing their cs is top notch.

6. MisterMcCool

Is that a super in your pocket, or are you happy to see me?

I found that Boberg offers a .45 super pocket pistol. I sent them an email asking if or when they intend to offer a longer barreled version. Might be a winner.

7. MisterMcCool

I also read that the HK USP is super rated. I am waiting to hear from them also.

8. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

"Clark" is Kay Clark Michlek's Brother, and Uncle Jerry M's BIL. Jerry has a S&W 460 Rowland wheel gun. Clark also does Custom 10/22's with a Bedded 22" match Bull Barrel that puts a Group within 3" at 200 yds. I didn't believe it until I saw it done by him on Gresham's TV show. He even got a round on paper at 300 & 400 yds. as well ! His work is well known through out the Biz.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

9. MisterMcCool

Well, you have to start somewhere. :p

10. MisterMcCool

HK responded that none of their products are rated for .45 super.

11. MisterMcCool

Boberg expects to introduce the longer barreled XR45-L this year.

12. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

And I expect with a high price.

13. MisterMcCool

Probably around $1,200 for the base model with aluminum frame and stainless slide.

14. JCS53

JCS53 That looks like it hurt Lifetime Supporter

This post convinced me to get the Clark conversion kit and switch over my Springfield Range Officer to 460 Rowland. I ain't never looking back..Whew!! What a round...