45 Revolver

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by cliffordsimmons, Jan 12, 2009.

1. cliffordsimmons

cliffordsimmons New Member

Hello:

I am preparing to buy my first hand gun. I have always been interested in getting a handgun but never got around to it. So I have been looking at the various models on the market and I am seeing kimber with their 1911 automatic, but then I saw Ruger with a revolver at 1/2 the price! Its a single action which is fine for me. I am mainly looking for something that is fun to shoot, and I am intrigued by the single action revolver as something with a bit of history behind it. Also, something anyone with half a brain can shoot and maintain.

That being said, are there any significant negatives to the single action 45 revolver? What should I know before I buy one?

2. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

The 1911 was the military's standard issue side arm for 75 years. Anyone with half a brain can maintain and shoot it.

The Ruger SA revolvers are nice for plinking or hunting, but they're not good carry pieces. Also, .45 Colt and .45 ACP are not the same.

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

The only negatives are sllooowwww unload/reload. Like Matt said-fine for plinking, shooting, hunting, but too slow for defense carry. It might make a decent house gun too. The Ruger Blackhawk revolvers are VERY strong and will last your lifetime, and your kids lifetimes with proper care.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

45 auto reload- measured with a good stopwatch. 45 Single Action reload- measured with a good calendar!

MOST 45 single actions are in 45 Colt- bit harder to find than 45 ACP, especially in CHEEP ammo. Bit bulky for concealed carry, enuff power to kill anything that needs killing in this hemisphere.

5. cliffordsimmons

Hey thanks for the advice. I'll have to shop around some more, but its a hell of a price difference between $1200 and $550.....hmm can I get both :)

Cliff

6. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

There are budget friendly 1911s available.

7. JiroZero713

JiroZero713 Active Member

Skip ahead 1 minute and watch this.....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06uXL0qOEpo[/ame]

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I have both and I like both. With that said, I use the 1911 at least 10 to 1 over the Ruger. Easier to clean and maintain, more comfortable to shoot, equal in accuracy but for personal defense only the 1911 works.

If you want history, both can satisfy. Just depends what history you're looking for.

The Colt wheel gun is steeped in a storied 19th century 'cowboy' past.

The Colt 1911's history starts in the early 20th century with an honored military record.

I have already selected my favorite and would only bias your decision.

I can offer some advice if buying one of every thing you see isn’t in the cards.

Find a range that rents or provides guns, pick out what blows your skirt up and take it for a test drive. You will need to shoot a minimum of 100 rds to get a good feel for each style.

Once you decide on the wheel or the auto loader go another 100 to 200 rds to verify your decision, By this time you have spent <$100 and had a blast (no pun intended) doing it! This small investment has provided you with a lot of data.
    A. Do I enjoy this shooting thing or was it an impulse?
    B. Have I found the ‘style’ of handgun I’m looking for, or do I need more data?
    C. Am I near or at the caliber I want to shoot, or do I need more data?
    D. Have I found a brand I favor, or do I need more data?
    E. Do I need more data?

Remember the range time and ammo expense is entertainment. This is well spent and provides you the insurance against buying the wrong gun in the beginning.

This would be the logical procedure of finding the correct gun, or you could just run out tomorrow at lunch and buy that Ruger revolver!

You asked. :p

Good luck. :cool:

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Oh yea, WELCOME to the forum!:D:D

10. cliffordsimmons

You know that sounds like a really great idea. I've never shot any of these before so right now I am only guessing. I think what I'll do is go down to the range in milpitas and rent a few handguns and see what I like. Thanks a lot,

Cliff

11. cliffordsimmons

know what I just saw.......a S&W 500 :) I think I am in love

12. Bighead

Bighead New Member

Just to make sure you're clear, the Vaquero and the 1911 shoot different ammunition. The 1911 is .45 ACP, while the Vaquero is .45 Long Colt. The .45LC is more expensive ammunition.

If you are really interested in the single-action revolver design, you might consider a Vaquero in .357 Magnum (which will also function with .38 Special ammunition). This would allow you to shoot at a much better pricepoint, and still have an excellent self-defense capability.

The single-action revolver would be an excellent choice, and a lot of fun. If you choose to go that direction I would encourage you to check out the Single Action Shooting Society (SASS), and visit a meet near you.

As far as 1911's, like Matt G said, there are budget priced models, even if you want to stick with one of the more known manufacturers.

The basic Kimber Custom II should be around $700-$800. Springfield Armory "G.I." and "Milspec" models have an excellent pricepoint, well under $1,000. Even Colt seems to be regaining some of its sense, with several models priced under $1,000.

13. Clem

Clem Member

If you are considering a .45 NMBH, then you may want to get a .45 ACP cylinder for it, that way you can shoot the same ammo as in your .45 1911. You may also want to look at a double action.45 ACP revo like the S&W 625.

For many on the forum, it isn’t a matter of which, but a matter of which first.

14. Clem

Clem Member

If you are looking for your first revolver, this may not be the best way to go. They are expensive to own, expensive to shoot and will beat the crap out of you with factory loads. If you reload, they can be a lot of fun. You can load it down and still have terrific power with relatively mild recoil.

15. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

Well, I'll jump in with both feet into this discussion, the .45 revolver being something of which I've had a fair amount of experience. My very first revolver as a kid was a .45 Colt New Service, been sort of hooked on 'em ever since.

The Ruger Blackhawk, in .45 Colt, is a fine gun for casual shooting and hunting. As to ammunition, reloads are plentiful in cowboy action loads, these are sold as "remanufactured" ammunition at bargain prices. And, the factory Winchester and Remington standard loading of a 250~255 gr. bullet at 870 fps is still potent. Think Winchester and Federal also load higher performing defense loadings, and Buffalo Bore cartridges are, well, for bufalo if that's your someday-goal.

Smith still makes some .45 Colt revolvers, though somewhat more costly than the Ruger.

But the old .45 Colt takes a back-seat to nothing else.

Bob Wright

16. cliffordsimmons

Well today I went to a local range and rented a 44 mag and a 357 and I have to say that I am looking at getting a S&W 357 686. There are a few reasons for this.

Fun to shoot
    Cheap & available ammo

I was going to rent the 45 long colt but there were out of ammo. That to me was telling. I don't want a gun that I am going to have trouble finding ammo for. I also like being able to shoot 357 or 38's out of it.

Cliff

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Gentelmen, we should be ashamed of ourselves! :rolleyes:

Looks like we've drug another one over to the dark side. :p

Cliff, welcome to the additictive world of firearms.

We share your high! :D

You seem to be disposed to wheel guns but just to give yourself the experience, you should try an autoloader.

Sticking to the easy to find ammo, I suggest trying a 9mm. Rent a Glock, XD or if you want, any 1911 in 45 ACP. Shoot one box of ammo and verify your S&W 686 is still your soft spot.

Or you can run out at lunch tomorrow and buy that Smith. ;)

OBTW, you didn't mention your impression of the 44 Mag? Little too stout?

18. cliffordsimmons

Well the 44 mag was a bit to stout for me for a handgun.

I am disposed towards the wheel guns, I might go rent some autoloader and see what I think, but so far I am going with the 357. I really like the simplicity,and the no jamming aspect.

Cliff

19. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You owe it to yourself to try a semi-auto just for the experience. Find a friend that owns one and go shooting together.

Whatever you get, keep it clean.

Jam is an arbitrary term, in my experience; any (style) gun can JAM!

20. cliffordsimmons

I bought the 357 mag today. Its a bouncing baby S&W 686 357 Magnum :) I can't wait until my 10 day waiting period is over.....