.45 or 9mm

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by dreweB, Sep 8, 2013.

1. dreweB

dreweB New Member

looking to buy a new pistol for my carry, now I don't want a tiny tiny gun but not a full sized either, I will mainly just keep this gun in the truck and carry it around the hunting camp, want something with at least 9 round magazines,would rather a 45 but open to 9m..recommendations?

2. dreweB

dreweB New Member

Also don't wanna spend awhile bunch would prefer 500 and less maybe 550

3. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

9mm Glock 19. 15 rounds in the magazine and 9mm is half the cost of .45 ACP.

4. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

My bersa ultra compact pro 9mm. 13+1 and shots every ammo I have put in it. Even reloads. Got it for $429.

image-3117094027.jpg

5. genesaika

genesaika New Member

6. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Oh no! Here we go again! Still, you said camping. If there are dangerous large animals, then bigger the better. Go for the .45 in what make and model fits you the best. I will not mention another caliber, because you wanted only 9mm or .45. HK45 or USP would be my choice. Tough and reliable for any environment.

7. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Glock. Your done. A gen 3 sells for around 505 new here then its a matter of caliber that your confortable feed it with . 9mm 40 357 sig 45 or 10mm.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Around the hunting camp?
    With other firearms available?

I would get a .22lr.
    Great for plinking, small game, target.
    It worked a lot better getting that mouse than my 30-30.

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'd go with a 9mm. Better penetration than a .45, small and accurate,

for dealing with pests. I like the 92A1, but what do I know?

10. Donn

Donn Active Member

Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are.

11. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Any of common polymer pistols will do, and since you said camping I'd recommend the .45.

12. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

I'd go with a 9mm and as many rounds as possible..

I went with a .45 because I'm in Crapifornia and they limit me to 10 rounds. So I might as well have the biggest rounds possible.

But if you aren't restricted they way I am, then 9mm with twice the capacity would be a better choice

13. AR10

AR10 New Member

Camping? Bear spray, and if that fails, 10mm Glock with 20 round magazines.

14. JW357

JW357 New Member

I mean... They are two very different calibers. You might as well say "what should I eat right now, an apple or an orange?"

If its only those two calibers, I guess .45 ACP. But neither round was really designed to be a camping or hiking round.

I would honestly recommend a .357 Magnum or a .44 Magnum. I know you said capacity, but those are what I would personally choose. The only auto-caliber I would consider, for that purpose, is 10mm.

But if you're talking more for CCW work, well... Honestly just get whatever you shoot the best. If you aren't quite comfortable with the recoil of the .45, there's nothing wrong with 9mm. And if you're truly going for capacity, it wouldn't even be a question. You're gonna get about 7 more rounds of 9mm than you will .45.

My response is kinda all over the place. But that's because its such an open ended question that it merits an open ended answer.

15. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

Agreed.
    However I'd skip the bear spray and go straight to the Glock though. If you're close enough to use bear spray you're in deep spit.
    But I agree that the 10mm would be a superior round for that.

But if you're strictly trying to decide between the 9mm and the .45 then if go with the 9 since you can usually have much more capacity.

But like I said, I use .45 because I'm in CA

16. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Yeah, what they said.

17. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

S&W M&P 45c, or the M&P 9c. American polymer pistols at their finest.

18. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

45 or 9mm?

yes.

19. dreweB

dreweB New Member

Well I don't think all have to worry about bears in southern Louisiana that much ... More for hogs and snakes

20. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

The two are equally effective in 'stopping the fight' if:
    1. You use the best available 'defense' ammo out today.
    2. In the case of the 45 you need to keep the bbl length at no shorter than 4.25 inches (Commander length) for it to maintain it's ballistic equality with the other defense calibers. The 9mm is probably the most efficient short bbbl round in the world today, even as short as 3 inches it will maintain MV of over 1000 fps.
    Hope this helped,
    Jim:)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013