.45 LC Brass Life Question

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Mouser, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I recently came across a you tube video of a hand loader that was annealing his brass. He stated that if he doesn't do this, he gets only a few loads out of brass and he starts losing brass due to splits. He states that he doesn't have the issue with any other caliber. He attributed it to the factory chambering having a slight taper and in carbide dies, there is no taper...I use carbide dies too.

Anyways, I've not read anything on this and I have only reloaded some brass two times as I'm still buying some factory ammo to accumulate brass. Anyone loading .45 LC have any experience, opinions or even heard of this? Annealing is not a huge deal, but I don't do it for any other loads but will if it means my brass will last much longer.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't anneal 45 Colt or any other brass, it is not worth the time and effort to me.

Mouser likes this.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I get 25-30 light loadings out of .45 Colt brass (equivalent to the very weak factory stuff)

If I load very hesvy, I'll get 4-6. (.44 mag equivalent)

I've never annealed handgun brass.

Mouser, AgedWarrior and Txhillbilly like this.
  4. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

Is he cleaning his brass with water and lemishine?

5. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Active Member

I have loaded .45 Colt for years. Heavy Blackhawk loads and standard loads...never annealed them. Brass held up well. Never annealed any pistol brass. My experience is about like locutus.

Mouser, locutus and Txhillbilly like this.
  6. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

You're wasting your time annealing any type of straight walled brass. It doesn't need it.

7. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

A loose chamber can cause over work hardening of the brass and a shorter than normal life. So can low quality brass. Not uncommon to see a difference in life of brass linked to the quality. There may be other reasons but these two are not uncommon.

Mouser, AgedWarrior and locutus like this.
  8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Over expanding the case mouth and over crimping will also lower the case life of straight walled brass.

freefall, Mouser, JRDallas and 2 others like this.
  9. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I've not had anything I would label as premature failure of brass though I had not loaded this brass more than a couple of times. Looking at the replies of people who load this brass just as much as any other brass, I'd tend to lean in the direction you are suggesting...too much case mouth expansion. Based on the replies, I will keep loading the way I've always done, that being no annealing.

Thanks to all who weighed in on this topic.

10. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

That's what I think too. If they are nickel plated cases they will be a bit more brittle

11. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

I like the look of nickle, But yes it cracks faster than brass. 10mm is the worst for it cracking for me. I have learned not to hot rod load the nickle.