.45 gap

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Shihan, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

What is everyone take on the .45GAP? I was at the Gun Shop today and was very tempted to purchace a Springfield XD 45GAP. They were only asking $220, really had to stop myself from walking with it. Thought I would get some advice from people with more knowledge then myself. Is it worth it or should I stay away?

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Please take this with a grain of salt, since it is only my opinion. .45GAP stands for .45 Glock Automatic Pistol. It's a round that was designed for the Glock to rival the dynamics of the .45ACP.

I'm not sure of the statistics on the round, it just never really caught on. It was kind of like reinventing the wheel. I mean, the .45ACP already existed, so what was the point?

I used to work at a gun shop and I never saw either a .45GAP pistol or even one box of ammo sold. So, while it may be a good round and the Springfield is definitely a quality pistol, it's an orphan round.

Obviously, a $220. Springfield XD is a screaming deal. If you want to go with it, stock up on as much ammunition as you can. It may become pretty scarce someday.

Just my 2c.

3. feedsasquatch

feedsasquatch New Member

My humble opinion. The GAP is a less powerful version of the .45 ACP. Also, it will continue to be manufactured as long as Glock can continue to sell their existing GAP guns. So, if they stop selling them, no more ammo for you...

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Boy. What's not to like? :eek:

You have a round that was designed to take the place of the .45 ACP round - except it costs twice as much.

Ammo is incrediably hard to find.

.45 GAP is loaded at .45 ACP pressure.

So .45 ACP in +P is going to yield greater pressures.

It's a solution to a problem that didn't exist, in my opinion.

I would seriously reconsider unless you have tiny hands and want .45 caliber performance.

JD